interning as P1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andrewattheU

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are many P1s allowed to intern or do you generally have to wait till after your first year, and if you are allowed to intern as a P1 where do most people intern?

Members don't see this ad.

Some states allow you to get licensed when you start school, some make you wait a semester, and some let you do it once you are simply enrolled (WA does the latter - you just have to wait for the class list to hit the BOP). I am not aware of states that allow no interning the first year, but there may be some. With the IPPE requirements, the rules may be changing to allow you to get licensed sooner.

The point at which you can accumulate hours towards the intern requirements is sometimes later than the point at which you can actually get licensed and take home intern wages.

in NY, we are not legally classified as an intern until completion of the first year. However at the chain i work at, i am paid as a 1st year intern.

Members don't see this ad :)
for Washington state do you have to be enrolled in a Washington school or is it enrollment in any school that allows you to become licensed (i.e going to school that starts in fall that is out of state and intern in WA the summer before heading off)

for Washington state do you have to be enrolled in a Washington school or is it enrollment in any school that allows you to become licensed (i.e going to school that starts in fall that is out of state and intern in WA the summer before heading off)

Well a quick Google search gave me the answer almost instantly, I love being able to do my own research.;)

Washington Law requires interns be currently enrolled in a Pharmacy school or be a graduate from a foreign program, if you have been accepted into a Washington Pharmacy school then you can apply for an intern license once you have proof of acceptance.

Not based on any law, but just on experience with the WSBOP, this is what I suspect would happen:

1) If you can't register in the state you are moving to (and the hours won't count), they would probably refuse to process the application even if you could prove that you are enrolled and will be beginning in the fall.

2) If the state you are moving to has already licensed you and you can prove enrollment, they may let you register.

Based on law:

3) Once you start classes, they will let you register as long as your school verifies enrollment. You can come back int he summer and work if you want. Beware that your license renews yearly on your birth date so that you don't pay twice when you don't have to.

Are many P1s allowed to intern or do you generally have to wait till after your first year, and if you are allowed to intern as a P1 where do most people intern?

Ask the professor who does the pharm law lectures. He/she is probably the best immediate access for what you can do in WA. As for where to go, I just started at a compounding pharmacy and love it b/c compounding is what interests me the most. I get to see a lot of what we learn in class actually being practiced too. Yesterday I made suppositories and helped calculate a new formulary for making extended release caps from tablets. This wasn't through school though, I went there on my own accord.

Well a quick Google search gave me the answer almost instantly, I love being able to do my own research.;)

Washington Law requires interns be currently enrolled in a Pharmacy school or be a graduate from a foreign program, if you have been accepted into a Washington Pharmacy school then you can apply for an intern license once you have proof of acceptance.

yes I already knew that you had to be enrolled I have looked at the requirements many times, but as others have noted the language is not quite clear on all possible situations

Ask the professor who does the pharm law lectures. He/she is probably the best immediate access for what you can do in WA. As for where to go, I just started at a compounding pharmacy and love it b/c compounding is what interests me the most. I get to see a lot of what we learn in class actually being practiced too. Yesterday I made suppositories and helped calculate a new formulary for making extended release caps from tablets. This wasn't through school though, I went there on my own accord.
The OP isn't in school yet. The best way to clarify what you can do in WA is to call the Board of Pharmacy directly. But, often they are wishy-washy on answering these sorts of "what if" questions.

alright thanks for all the answers, I think I'll take your advice bananaface and just contact the board of pharmacy if or when this type of situation takes place.