Interning with CVS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SSJH5862

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm an intern at CVS-target and the pharmacist seems stressed out. They do not offer lunch breaks, the employee discount is useless at the target store and according to her CVS pays less than Walmart and less vacation time than Walgreens.

Is there a benefit to working as an intern before signing on after you're registered to work as an R.Ph?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi I'm an intern at CVS-target and the pharmacist seems stressed out. They do not offer lunch breaks, the employee discount is useless at the target store and according to her CVS pays less than Walmart and less vacation time than Walgreens.

Is there a benefit to working as an intern as intern before signing on after you're registered?
Are you asking if the complaints of your pharmacist won't hold true for you since you were an intern before becoming a pharmacist? Or are you asking if being an intern at Target will help you get a job at a competitor that doesn't treat pharmacists so poorly? Or something else entirely?

Members don't see this ad :)
The benefits of being an intern are you get experience and have a leg up against people who are applying from outside the company. Plus you get paid of course. I hope this answers your very vague question. ;)

I apologize for not being specific. But I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who gained something out of their retail internship other than finding out that retail pharmacy sucks.

Or if they did work for the same company they did intern for did said company offer you anything over a new pharmacist who did not work throughout school?

CVS and Walgreens tend to let their interns choose their stores in nonsaturated districts when compared with outsiders. Now, it's probably not easy to get a job with either company if you were not an intern. And, you were once DoD. Embrace the suck and use it as an opportunity to learn the trade and that people suck. Retail and hospital pharmacy have a Groundhog Day component where nothing ever seems to get better or change. It doesn't get worse.

And Target is the slow one of the group unless you are in Minnesota. I kind of wonder how that pharmacist got so traumatized unless he/she worked elsewhere,burnt out, and then went to Target (which is now CVS).

Reactions: 1 user
And Target is the slow one of the group unless you are in Minnesota. I kind of wonder how that pharmacist got so traumatized unless he/she worked elsewhere,burnt out, and then went to Target (which is now CVS).

CVS's inside target get less traffic yet flu shot and scripts filled quotas are the same across the board for bonuses. The pharmacy manager at my store sounds like Jeb Bush getting his ass kicked by Trump at the debates.

Reactions: 1 user

Is there a benefit to working as an intern before signing on after you're registered to work as an R.Ph?

Were they a Target pharmacist before the CVS take over?

If yes, that's your answer:
They're a softie that got pushed out of their cushiest 50 script / day cloud and dumped into the ****pocalypse that is CVS

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I don't understand. Target CVS is one of the easiest retail stores to work at. How can anyone be stressed? Even the higher volume stores of 1600+ double staff! That's a joke.

My friend is managing a store that does 600 a week. He's playing on his laptop all day.