Interns, did you get paid for orientation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
exlawgrrl said:
Yeah, me neither. :(

I don't understand why my health insurance here doesn't start for 60 days...seems like it should be illegal. After all, I'll be working here full time during that period - are they going to cover me for two months AFTER I leave to make up for it? I doubt it.

Do they really think we have that much extra money each month that we can afford it - especially an UNEXPECTED expense, after all the moving expense, etc.? :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

I got all 3 weeks of orientation, (but we oriented into mid july) and got health insurance covered from 7/1/06 onward. We also got moving expenses (up to 1000.00) a PDA (up to 440.00) and book money (up to 300.00 per half year)

Poety said:
I got all 3 weeks of orientation, (but we oriented into mid july) and got health insurance covered from 7/1/06 onward. We also got moving expenses (up to 1000.00) a PDA (up to 440.00) and book money (up to 300.00 per half year)

Rubbing it in aren't ya?!! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we need to differentiate between orientation activities before and after July 1st, the traditional starting date of intern clinical responsibilities. We got paid for the three days of orientation before July 1st here at my new program. Last year at Duke we had two pre-July 1st orientation days for which we were not paid but two weeks of Family Medicine orientation after July 1st for which we drew our regular salary.

Orientation is mostly wasted time, the important parts of which could probably be compressed to a half-day and a couple of pages. At Duke we wasted some time on an obnoxious "team-building" exercise with a bunch of residents who I never saw again after that as well as the usual hours and hours of lecturing against the possibilty that we might be tempted to rape, harass, or hurl racial epithets at patients and co-workers.

Some people make their living coming up with stupid **** to do at orientation.

Panda Bear said:
Some people make their living coming up with stupid **** to do at orientation.

Here we had a similar exercise where one of us "played" the medical student, one was the patient and the other was the resident observing and critiquing the medical student. They actually walked around to make sure the groups were really role playing. It was ridiculous, especially after an hour slide show of how to act appropriate with patients...scary thing is that these things were designed because some resident, somewhere, has actually walked into patient's room, thrown back the covers, exposed the patient's hoo-hah, described the lesion in detail to his colleague, including the possibility of the BIG C, and then walked out without introducing himself, asking for permission, etc. :rolleyes:

Kimberli Cox said:
...exposed the patient's hoo-hah...

Look. We're doctors now. Would it be too much to ask for you to use the correct clinical term?

It's called a "wiener."

Panda Bear said:
Look. We're doctors now. Would it be too much to ask for you to use the correct clinical term?

It's called a "wiener."

Since Kim's a hooter surgeon now, the patient probably had a hoo-hah, not a weiner. ;)

Kimberli Cox said:
I don't understand why my health insurance here doesn't start for 60 days...seems like it should be illegal. After all, I'll be working here full time during that period - are they going to cover me for two months AFTER I leave to make up for it? I doubt it.

Do they really think we have that much extra money each month that we can afford it - especially an UNEXPECTED expense, after all the moving expense, etc.? :mad:

Absolutely... I think all health insurances which don't cover you the first 60 days, should cover you the 60 days after you LEAVE or give you two months for free. It's too bad the common consumer cannot sue for this because they wont find it very porfitable to do so... meanwhile the health insurance companies rack up the money.

Faebinder said:
Absolutely... I think all health insurances which don't cover you the first 60 days, should cover you the 60 days after you LEAVE or give you two months for free. It's too bad the common consumer cannot sue for this because they wont find it very porfitable to do so... meanwhile the health insurance companies rack up the money.

Yes, "interestingly enough" they are taking health insurance payments out of my paycheck, yet I don't have coverage. :mad:

Kimberli Cox said:
Yes, "interestingly enough" they are taking health insurance payments out of my paycheck, yet I don't have coverage. :mad:

While I am not in this situation yet... I wonder if you can actually go to a lawyer have him take them to court on behalf of al their clients.. either they cover two months after the enrollment is done or somehow reimburse those two months.

I am sure the lawyer can make his/her money from the settlement.

hmm...

Insurance started for us on the 1st day of residency. Orientation was 2 weeks before we started. We get paid for all of it... somewhere in the neighborhood of about $1400.00