Interns Matched from Same Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrAlago

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Simple little question: Have people heard of or experienced two people from the same program matching at the same site? Essentially, I'm wondering if internship programs would rank applicants further apart if they are from the same program to ensure diversity of interns. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Simple little question: Have people heard of or experienced two people from the same program matching at the same site? Essentially, I'm wondering if internship programs would rank applicants further apart if they are from the same program to ensure diversity of interns. Thanks!

1. yes.

2. I wouldn't

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can think of 2 instances of this from my program:

1) 2 of 3 interns were from my program
2) 3 of 4 interns were from my program.

For the latter, my understanding was that all 3 ranked that program #1.

And these were all for the same (or very similar) tracks.

So it definitely happens!

Last edited:
Happened to me and a good friend from my program- we were from same track/advisor. Also happened to 2 from my team/advisor the year ahead of us at a different site, and again this year 2 matched at same site from my team. 3 different sites, 3 years in a row. It happens!

Yep: I matched at an internship with 2 spots for my track. The other spot went to someone else in my program.

Given the way the match works, it makes sense that most internship programs wouldn't put all their eggs in one basket, so to say, by only ranking one applicant from a program if they think highly another applicant from that program.

As others have said, yes it happens. I'm at a site now where it happened. We had this conversation during our internship meetings and the conclusion was, like others have said, "why eliminate good candidates because they are from the same program?". Some sites may vary on their perception of that.

Two people from my internship cohort matched to the same site, and two people at my internship are from the same school.

More stories of "yes" here. When I was an intern, there were 2 (out of 10) from the same program. A few years later, 3 of our students from this program matched to the same site in the same year. And oh right, happened again last year, 2 at the same site (different tracks though).

Thanks for the info! I've been trying to crunch numbers (utterly useless and nonsensical) to figure out the chances of matching with my best friend. As far as I can tell: there are 18 applicants for 3 spots, my friend and I both ranked the site number 1, and we both had phenomenal interviews. *fingers and toes crossed*