Internship at a Congressman's Office

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

coramDeo

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello people!

I've recently been given an opportunity to intern at a Congressman's office on the hill.
I would be working from January to June, and although it is a bit late to withdraw, I was not sure if this would be a helpful EC towards my med school app.

I'm on the older-side of pre-med's and though I am interested in this experience, was not sure if this would be constructive towards my application.

I would love to hear your guys' thoughts! Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you are excited by this opportunity, grab it. I do know one physician who worked after graduation for two members of congress before applying to medical school. It was something that set the application apart.

I am excited, but at the same time I guess I'm really worried about the experience helping towards med-school, as I've decided on medicine quite late.
Feeling squished about time I guess :/
 
Things to do by thirty: Get married, buy a house, learn the difference between "Senator" and "Congressman"

Sounds like you can knock one off the list early!




Hahaha I never even thought about the difference there may be between the two..
Not a bad saying to keep in mind though it seems.
 
I am excited, but at the same time I guess I'm really worried about the experience helping towards med-school, as I've decided on medicine quite late.
Feeling squished about time I guess :/

In the flood of applicants, you will be one of the few with an experience on Capitol Hill. As long as it isn't some sort of thing you got because of family connections, it should help.

It will not substitute for service to the poor, clinical experience, or shadowing.
 
In the flood of applicants, you will be one of the few with an experience on Capitol Hill. As long as it isn't some sort of thing you got because of family connections, it should help.

It will not substitute for service to the poor, clinical experience, or shadowing.

I see I see. Thank you!
Is it better to have an array of activities (relatively less depth), or a few and have extensive depth?