Internship at Health Bureau

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about doing an internship at the Department of Health in my city. I know this would probably be more public health oriented, but would it be worth including on medical school applications? Any thoughts on how med schools would view this since technically it's not direct clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

bbas said:
I am thinking about doing an internship at the Department of Health in my city. I know this would probably be more public health oriented, but would it be worth including on medical school applications? Any thoughts on how med schools would view this since technically it's not direct clinical experience?

I don't know anything about whether you should or shouldn't put that on your application or any of the technicalities of that but what I do know is that I worked for the Department of Health Services in California for the Medi-Cal Fraud division for two summers with doctors, lawyers and the FBI and it was quite a conversation piece at my interviews. I'm glad that I worked there and I mentioned that I had seen the ugly side of medicine as well and I think that it went well. They all said that it was a neat thing to do and asked about some if the worst cases that I had seen. I thought that it would lead into ethical questions but it didn't. I don't know, I think that if it adds to your experience as a person and applicant, add it.

Anything remotely related that makes you seem unique is refreshing to an adcom member who reads a couple hundred applications and sees too many the cookie-cutter applications.

:luck: