PhD/PsyD internship cover letter question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hawkeye11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to an internship site where a former student from my program recently completed his internship. I have heard it through the grapevine that he absolutely raved about his experience there. I had classes with the student before his internship, but didn't ever really chat with him. Would it be weird to mention his very positive review of the site in my cover letter?

I'm guessing the right answer is probably reach out to said student first and then mention him in letter?

Members don't see this ad.

In some of the sample cover letters from previous students, I saw things like "based on conversations with previous students, I understand that your program is...."

Maybe try something like that?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying to an internship site where a former student from my program recently completed his internship. I have heard it through the grapevine that he absolutely raved about his experience there. I had classes with the student before his internship, but didn't ever really chat with him. Would it be weird to mention his very positive review of the site in my cover letter?

I'm guessing the right answer is probably reach out to said student first and then mention him in letter?

Just mention reputation. If you are applying to my site, I would already assume you think we are good.

I mentioned names. I'd ask him what he thinks. Probably safest to just say other students from your program found it to be a good fit.