Internship for P1 student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chotty

GarLique
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I need your opinion about the choosing internship track. Ambulatory or Inpatient? :confused:

We're supposed to do internship from the first year of pharmacy school.
Choosing the right internship position is very important for me because hospital offers the internship position to P1 students who want to continue up to their graduation.

From my volunteering experience at a retail pharmacy in a hospital, I know I like to interact with patients and want to spend time with patients as much as possible.(I enjoy all the good and bad moments with patients)

At this point, I don't have any clue about the inpatient track.

I heard "you can go from hospital to retail but cannot go from retail to hospital." Is this related to the inpatient track or ambulatory track?

I'll appreciate all your help about choosing internship position.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

chotty said:
I heard "you can go from hospital to retail but cannot go from retail to hospital."

I believe this just means that if you spend a considerable amount of time in retail after graduation and one day want to go to hospital pharmacy, it's more difficult because you can lose a lot of your skills, such as kinetics, if you don't use them on a regular basis. I'm not sure which path you should choose, though. Sorry I can't help with that.

FutureRxGal said:
I believe this just means that if you spend a considerable amount of time in retail after graduation and one day want to go to hospital pharmacy, it's more difficult because you can lose a lot of your skills, such as kinetics, if you don't use them on a regular basis. I'm not sure which path you should choose, though. Sorry I can't help with that.
Thanks, FutureRxGal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've met quite a few pharmacists who worked retail for a few years and were easily able to obtain employment in hospitals. They did not mention it being especially difficult. There are always references to use to refresh any knowledge that may have cobwebs after doing retail for a while.

My friend, who works as a phamacy tech for a long time, suggests me going to inpatient track. His reason is it's good to know the work at inpatient before working at outpatient.

bananaface said:
Here it's hard to get an internship in some hospitals as an upperclassman, because they want to put you through a structured training program, according to school year. Other places will hire you whenever.

Yeah! I can see the intention of those hospital programs. But I don't know why hosptial forces P1 students to choose only one between inpatient or ambulatory. Isn't it better way to teach both and give a choice later? :cool:

Rule of thumb for a new grad or a Retail Pharmacists transitioning to inpatient requires good three to six months before they are fully capable of performing as an inpatient pharmacist. That's just what I have noticed..

ZpackSux said:
Rule of thumb for a new grad or a Retail Pharmacists transitioning to inpatient requires good three to six months before they are fully capable of performing as an inpatient pharmacist. That's just what I have noticed..

That learning curve cuts both ways. Drop a hospital guy into a slamming retail environment and he/she is swimming for their life. In general, it is true for any new job