internship hour requirements for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yavster5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone here knows where one can find a list of the internship hour requirments for residencies in different states. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone here knows where one can find a list of the internship hour requirments for residencies in different states. Thanks

There are no internship requirements for residency. The intern hrs are required for licensure and those vary by state.

^ don't most residencies require you to get your license within one month after starting??

Members don't see this ad :)
There are no internship requirements for residency. The intern hrs are required for licensure and those vary by state.

Do you know of any good reliable place to find those requirements? I've tried going to individual state board of pharmacy sites, but they are maddeningly difficult to navigate.

The specific states I'm interested in are TX, IL, OR, WA

I think my state requires 1500. Will that cover me for most states?

Do you know of any good reliable place to find those requirements? I've tried going to individual state board of pharmacy sites, but they are maddeningly difficult to navigate.

The only 100% reliable source is that state board's website. Just look at the application for licensure, and it will tell you exactly the number of hours your need.

2000 hours is the most I have ever heard of, so that should cover you definitevely. 1500 will cover almost everything. Don't most schools give you 1600 hours just on rotations, discounting EPE and any hours you worked outside of school?

IL is 1440

The only 100% reliable source is that state board's website. Just look at the application for licensure, and it will tell you exactly the number of hours your need.

Thank you, I had no idea of even what section to look at on the sites. I found out that OR is 2000 hours.

My school gives us 1200 through rotations, and we do 300 unpaid hours during our summers, so we end up with 1500.

IL is 1440

:cool: Thanks, at least I'm covered there.

see below

Last edited:
yes, thanks a lot!