1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

internship in us

Discussion in 'Internship' started by vamsikrishna, Jun 18, 2008.

  1. vamsikrishna

    Jun 18, 2008
    Likes Received:
    Medical Student
    I have passed final M.B.B.S in this may now I'm doing internship in andhra medical college affliated to N.T.R university of health sciences under medical counsil of india(M.C.I).i want to do a part of my internship u.s.a.is it possible? for that what shall i do?are there any universies in u.s. giving an opportunity to do internship?if at all what is the qualification?
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. Are you trying to do your internship and residency in the US?

    If so, you'll have to take at least the USMLE Step 1, 2 CK and 2 CS...and apply for the Match.
  4. Droopy Snoopy

    7+ Year Member

    Apr 3, 2006
    Likes Received:
    Resident [Any Field]
    You should check out this forum.
  5. Winged Scapula

    Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

    Apr 9, 2000
    Likes Received:
    Attending Physician
    No. The US does not offer partial internships. If your program offers elective time, you may be able to arrange that in the US, but with the issues of licensing, malpractice insurance, verification of credentials, etc. it would be extremely difficult to arrange without several months of work.

    If you are interested in doing an entire year in the US, please see here:

    - http://www.ecfmg.org
    - http://www.nrmp.org
    - http://www.usmle.org

    You will have to be ECFMG certified which requires passing USMLE Steps 1 and 2 (CK and CS), graduating from a medical school listed in the FAIMER directory and to submit the appropriate paperwork.

    Residency positions are generally found through a centralized match service, the NRMP, but some find positions outside the match because they are advertised or they hear about them by word of mouth.

    You must be eligible for a US medical license. You don't need a full and unrestricted one (and can't get one in most places as an intern educated outside of the US) but you must not have a record of ethical, moral, physical, psychological and/or educational troubles.

    This topic is discussed extensively in the International Forum but I'll move it to the Internship forum where it seems better placed.

Share This Page