Internship Interviews!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay, I'm off to get ready for the Clearing House. I'll pop in throughout the day, as I'll need a break from the process (or so I've heard)

If anyone is at a site and they have an opening they think will fit for me (strong preference for APA-approved), feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh sure T4C, I can understand Boston, but NYC! It is good enough for the Mets ( correction: your Mets) but not for T4C! I suppose you make a good point about the expense involved in living in a big city. However, are you aware that "4" on the keyboard is the same key "$"? I think I have even seen you make this Freudian slip before. Your name could easily be understood as a psychologolical repression through distortion of your true name: "Therapist$ (i.e.money)Chnge"! Clearly you have unconsciously repressed the idea of money in your name since your true desire is to be in NYC so that you can see your Mets win a championship! As a former businessman you also unconsciously reject the idea of clinical psychologists shunning money for the supposed higher good of helping people work through their terrible mental health problems. In fact, if we take this a step further, we can see that the internship sites did not reject you; rather, you unconsciously rejected them since the minimal salaries which each could offer you were insults! Now, T4C, sorry T$C, wasn't my psychoanalyzing of you cathartic? You feel like a new man ready on Monday to accept his high paying APA internship in NYC! I have cured you of all of your neuroses! Wait until all of you read T$C's posts from here on out now that he is writing without the burden of his repressive symptoms!:laugh:

Now, let's see, all of this at standard rate should cost you $300. Subtract the student discount and my bill is $250! Cash or checks only, I do not accept any insurance plans (Insurance plans would not recognize any of my diagnostic categories. Hence, I would have to stigmatize you with some burdensome DSM-IV code and where would that get you?:laugh:)!

Now, T$C, run along before there is any transference! Now that you are cured the last thing you need is for Empathiosis :love: to direct her jeoulous rage at you once she sees that you suddenly have unexplained feelings for me! :laugh:

Brilliant analysis if I do say so myself! Who wants to be next? Don't forget to ask for my student discount! :laugh:

GS.....:laugh:

I have a lot of friends and family in NYC, it just isn't where I'd want to live. I'd take a spot there, though I'm guessing there won't be any...it is sorta popular and all.

Denial, denial, denial!

Okay, I'm off to get ready for the Clearing House. I'll pop in throughout the day, as I'll need a break from the process (or so I've heard)

If anyone is at a site and they have an opening they think will fit for me (strong preference for APA-approved), feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

What exactly does this mean? Is it all done on-line? Is there some phone process? Or maybe some regional center?

Good luck today!
:luck:

Biogirl215,
Luck has nothing to do with it. I just cured T$C of all of his psychological hang-ups! He is a new man ready to conquer the world! Right now he he is marching around proclaiming "VENI VIDI VICI!" :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
What exactly does this mean? Is it all done on-line? Is there some phone process? Or maybe some regional center?

E-mail submissions, phone interviews, fax some stuff, etc....pretty much any and all ways you can communicate. It was really fast come out of the gate (when everything got posted), but the vast majority of sites are taking their time with deciding. I think 300 positions are out there, and there have been maybe a dozen filled so far.

He is a new man ready to conquer the world! Right now he he is marching around proclaiming "VENI VIDI VICI!" :laugh:

:laugh:

I'm stuck waiting for places to get back to me. It is going to suck because I have a few places that have some great opportunities, and then a handful that are decent, etc.

Waiting.....sucks.

T4C, best of luck. I think this really is an unfortunate but crystal-clear example of how many problems there are with the current internship match process. You deserved a spot, that's for sure.

Good luck with the clearinghouse. Fingers crossed!

T4C, best of luck. I think this really is an unfortunate but crystal-clear example of how many problems there are with the current internship match process. You deserved a spot, that's for sure.

Good luck with the clearinghouse. Fingers crossed!

Thanks!

There definitely are problems with the system (# spots, # applicants, and match process) and it is only going to get worse. I originally thought that all good people will match because they are good applicants, but if there is a disproportionate distribution of applications towards the top end, then some people are going to get squeezed for not applying to other sites....which is what happened to me. I had some options earlier today, but they weren't remotely a fit (akin to doing 100% behavioral work as a psychodynamic clinician)....but I appreciated the offers. I have a bunch of options still out there, I just need to get a final word, hopefully tomorrow.

In case anyone doubts....this process is grueling. Sites were closing out in <1 hour with 50-100+ new clearing house apps. The majority of mine are still in play and I think I'll have some interesting decisions tomorrow, which is why I'm calling my top sites for an update and hopefully an answer. Some sites moved really quickly, while others are taking their time collecting applications and reviewing them closely.

I've had a number of interviews the last couple days, but nothing definite; I'm still waiting from 6 sites to get back to me. What is most frustrating is that I was told by multiple sites I was ranked highly and/or one of the first alternates...BUT, the first choices have all accepted so far. Lovely. (All APA-approved sites....which according to the statistics are few and far between). Again...good enough to get on the short list, but not the top 1-2 to get the spot. I did look at some APPIC sites, but by the time I got around to them (many sites closed out in <1-2 hours), they weren't accepting any more apps.

If none of the above ones come back with an offer, I'm just going to take the year off and teach, research, get some more assessment experience, and try and get another publication done. Unfortunately once you get to Clearing House, there are not that many quality positions, and I'm not going to go to a place that doesn't have good training and/or isn't in my area of interest and/or won't offer good opportunities for post-doc placement. Taking a year off to teach/research/publish isn't that big of a deal...though I'm stuck in S. FL for another year, which isn't something I'm wild about.

I read in the 2007 report that 30% of applicants who withdrew from the Match took unpaid positions, with 77%+ not having standard benefits.....which I think shouldn't be allowed. It doesn't say as it manipulates students to take unpaid positions. The APA/APPIC frown on this, but 6.5% of them were at APA sites, and 20% were at APPIC sites......

T4C,
Did you end up finding a good match, or are you planning to reapply next year?

T4C,
Did you end up finding a good match, or are you planning to reapply next year?

I am 95% sure I'm going to re-apply next year, as what is left (right now) doesn't really meet what I need out of an internship placement, and my other options are much more appealing. Since floating the idea of sticking around, I've had a staff position in a related area pop-up, a possible research opportunity with a professor I really enjoy working with, and another full-time opportunity in a related area of interest. Between one of those spots, a couple TA'd classes and maybe picking up an undergrad class to teach....I should be in a pretty good position.

It is tough to know that many of my friends are off to internship, though I know some aren't thrilled about where they are going, and at this point in my training I didn't want to sacrifice my hard work by taking a position that may or may not be anything more than a way to get my hours, without a real contribution to training in my areas of interest.

It is tough to know that many of my friends are off to internship, though I know some aren't thrilled about where they are going, and at this point in my training I didn't want to sacrifice my hard work by taking a position that may or may not be anything more than a way to get my hours, without a real contribution to training in my areas of interest.

I think it's definitely worth waiting for a better opportunity, especially if you have some really good options opening up. It takes a lot of self control to put it off for a year.

Mark

I think it's definitely worth waiting for a better opportunity, especially if you have some really good options opening up. It takes a lot of self control to put it off for a year.

Mark

I think it is the best plan for the moment. I'll hopefully be wrapping up the decision of my full-time position in the next week or two, and then secure the teaching/researching stuff not far after that. My networking has definitely paid off, now I just need to make sure all of my pieces fit.