Internship Interviews!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

internapp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm not sure how many folks here are applying for internship, but I thought I would start a thread listing internship sites people have heard back from regarding interviews. I have heard back from 1 thus far:

Minnesota Children's Hospital

Any others out there? It is still pretty early.
Good luck to all the other applicants!

APPIC MATCH discussion
(Added by T4C)

Members don't see this ad.

I've gotten a bunch of confirmations of receipt and some recommendations to contact faculty with research interests, but nothing beyond that. From what I've heard they happen in bunches. I'm hoping my Nov 1st get back to me soon (Johns Hopkins, Vandy, Towson). I'm sending out my last 4 apps tomorrow (all Nov 26th-30th deadlines). Thankfully I only had to overnight a couple (better safe than sorry).

What kind of sites are you looking at? I'm looking at mainly medical consortiums and some student counseling (at places that have outreach, teaching, and related things....I skipped all of the counseling only sites).

-t

I'm applying to pretty much exclusively child sites or child tracks in hospitals and medical schools. I'm in a pretty research heavy grad program so most of my sites are (hopefully) friendlier towards folks like me with somewhat fewer hours and a stronger research background. I just sent out my final round of applications at the end of last week. My Nov. 1 programs I'm hoping to hear from soon:

Duke
U of Washington
CHOP
U of MN Medical Center
UI-Chicago
Brown

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice. I looked at Duke because it has a specialty I'm interested in, but I cut it in the end because it seemed a bit too research heavy for me. I'm looking at places that value research (some places scream NO TIME FOR RESEARCH), but I don't want a research focused place. The good thing about most/all of the hospitals/consortiums I looked at was the opportunity to do some research, and they encouraged collaboration, etc. I'd like to start some research during my internship year, hopefully stay on and continue it for a post-doc, and then stay in the community and work. I don't want a full-time faculty position, but I'd like to stay involved and maybe teach a course or two a year.

My supervisor did the Brown Neuro internship (or was that her post-doc?)....either way, she raved about the training and the experience there.

-t

Just wanted to drop in to this thread to wish you all the best of luck with these! I'm quite a few years away, but dreading the process.

Oh, and based on what I know about it already, Brown's likely to be my top choice;) Some seriously amazing stuff going on there.

Just heard from U of Illinois-Chicago today!
Anyone else out there hearing back from programs?

Interfaith and North Bronx (ny) have started giving interviews.

Just wanted to drop in to this thread to wish you all the best of luck with these! I'm quite a few years away, but dreading the process.

Oh, and based on what I know about it already, Brown's likely to be my top choice;) Some seriously amazing stuff going on there.

Thanks!

--

I haven't heard back about interviews yet. I've heard the majority of apps let you know between Dec 1st-15th. I actually have 2 more apps I need to send out! (Nov 30th and Dec 1st deadlines) I've had a bunch of e-mails confirming my apps, one telling me I can contact faculty about research interests, and one place letting me know they are missing something.

I hate waiting!!

-t

So I just had one of those, "What if I don't even get an interview" moments....:rolleyes: I am pretty sure I'm a strong applicant, but this whole process depends on a computer match.....which doesn't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy.

I think that is my sign to go out and relax this afternoon. See ya'll later.

-t

Kings County (NY) has started making decisions.

I have received notices form Seton Hall in SC, University of Missouri School of Medicine and Ancora Psychiatric in NJ.

Someone told me not to expect more that interviews at 50-60% of the place you apply to...is this true?

I've heard 50% if you are going for competitive placements. It seems like the more competitive sites don't interview as many people, so it is probably harder to get an interview. I've also heard that people who apply to a lot of safety sites often don't get those interviews because the sites may not consider them as legitimate candidates. I only applied to sites that I was genuinely interested in, and I could see myself staying in that area to live.

I've only heard from Spring Grove (MD). So I still have a long way to go.

-t

Hmm. I think it is idiosyncratic. I applied at all top tier places, save one (a VA). I got interviews at 9 out of 11 (81%) and one of those that did not interview me was the VA, who informed me I wouldn't be happy there, that I belonged at an academic medical center.

Fit is definitely important. I'm looking at a number of sites that are slightly outside of my scope (I have population experience, though not in the specific setting), but they are great fits...on paper at least. I think if you apply to good fits and you are competitive....you should be fine, but this whole match system is screwy, so who knows.

What is problematic about the match process is that top tier people go for all of the top tier sites, so they cannibalize each other, and lesser candidates swoop in and grab the 2nd tier spots. This happened to a friend of mine in another program, and she had to answer similar questions of, "how the heck did she not place?!" She eventually landed a coveted position the next year....but I *REALLY* don't want to take a year off.

I also didn't match. . . a puzzler to everyone involved, but I chalk it up to extremely poor interviewing skills (I never interviewed for graduate school really, I was accepted without interview) at the time and no floor (all competitive sites). I was fortunate to get another top tier placement in clearinghouse that year.

Matching is such a crapshoot, especially if you are only looking at solid placements. I cut 5-6 programs (all safety sites) because I just couldn't see myself at them. I wanted them on my list 'just in case', but I realized I didn't want to get stuck at a sub-standard site.....at least for what I was looking for.

I'm hoping I can at least get interviews at my top sites, because I think I can do well in that regard. I'm still rather perplexed by places that just do phone interviews (I have 1), but I guess that is easier for them. It gives me pause, but we'll see how it goes.

The director asked my mentor, "What's wrong with him? Why is he still available?" on the clearinghouse day, which I, in retrospect, find amusing.

:laugh:

-t

Members don't see this ad :)
I got interviews everywhere I applied and I shot for the top tier sites (had a couple of backup academic medical center sites that are otherwise considered middle of the road). But I think what worked in my favor was highlighting the fit between my interests/experience and what the sites had to offer...

At the same time, I realize that I may have had a bit of an outlier experience. And I definitely did not enter the process expecting it to go the way it did (though I certainly had my hopes)!

Brown has sent out interview notices... Unfortunately not one for me.

It's interesting you mention fit as a top factor in intern selection, as the one (yeah, statistically meaningless, I know) person I know who has gone through the process matched at an ultra-competitive site where the populations and common pathologies were almost a complete 180 from her previous work, her research, and her ongoing dissertation (yes, I talk to my friends in all fields, even if they aren't mine--or anything I'm even remotely interested in, for that matter--about their grad. school work... yes, I'm a geek :) ).

Actually, I'm still not sure WHY she applied to that site given the high cost of living, low-ish stipend, and lack of interest match, other than that it was in the same region as her grad. school. However, she does seem to be really enjoying the experience so far, so maybe alll's well that ends well?

Anyway, sorry for the pointless rambling! Good luck to you!

So supposedly this is 'the week' where most of us will find out if/when we have interviews.....no pressure or anything. :scared: I'm hoping to have a banner week and be happy about being able to interview at all of my top choices, because the contrary to that is just depressing.

Best of luck to everyone.

-t

Good luck!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you end up applying? I have no real reason for asking, just annoying curosity... :)

Actually, I heard that next week is the week where we hear. I heard that all sites offering interviews email you or call you. Is this true?

I applied at 26 less competitive, APA accredited sites because I wanted to ensure a match.

Fit is definitely important. I'm looking at a number of sites that are slightly outside of my scope (I have population experience, though not in the specific setting), but they are great fits...on paper at least. I think if you apply to good fits and you are competitive....you should be fine, but this whole match system is screwy, so who knows.

What is problematic about the match process is that top tier people go for all of the top tier sites, so they cannibalize each other, and lesser candidates swoop in and grab the 2nd tier spots. This happened to a friend of mine in another program, and she had to answer similar questions of, "how the heck did she not place?!" She eventually landed a coveted position the next year....but I *REALLY* don't want to take a year off.

I think this is really accurate, and moreover, I've gotten the impression that being a good fit for the top tiered sites can work against you sometimes. The top tier, research oriented sites like Brown, UIC, Western Psych, etc. are looking for people who have focused their grad school years toward generating publications, grants, etc.. These sites are also uber-competitive, as they get the most applicants. In contrast, the more clinically oriented internships often don't get as many applications, but they look for people who have a lot of hours and who get lots of diverse clinical experiences. So, if you're someone who has built up a good research resume, at the expense of having a great clinical resume, you may be a good match for the top tier research sites, but you may not have a good, less competitive "safety" site. This is something that concerns me for next year when I apply....

Good luck everyone! If you guys end up posting where you are waiting to hear from, i'll PM you if I know someone who's heard from one of those places (i'm not sure if I should post publicly, since it's other people's information, not mine).

Actually, I heard that next week is the week where we hear. I heard that all sites offering interviews email you or call you. Is this true?

Okay....so the next 2 weeks, since the recommended deadline for it is Dec 15th. :D

Invite methods really vary, I think the APPIC list-serv had a discussion about it not too long ago.

-t

Good luck!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you end up applying? I have no real reason for asking, just annoying curiosity... :)

I'm staying mostly in the South with my applications, but I go as far west as Oregon St, and as far north as Albany....though I'm really hoping I don't land anywhere too cold. I split my choices between hospitals/consortiums and college counseling w/ options for other work (i only applied to places that also offered outreach, teaching, research, etc....since I want a more well-rounded experience).

My top choices: Vandy (in-patient & counseling sites), LSU (in-patient), WVU (in-patient & counseling sites), U of Tenn (counseling), Albany (in-patient), U of S. Carolina (counseling), etc. I applied to more sites than average because I don't have direct experience in the college counseling setting, but I have a good deal of experience with that population and many of the most common Dx's. I guess if push came to shove I'd rather be at an in-patient facility (where I have the most experience) because of the major/minor rotations opportunities, but I really like the idea of working on a college campus because I'd get some great opportunities to do outreach programs, mentor grad students, and the locations I'm applying are all places I'd consider living long term. I also would like to find a place where I could teach a class or two, whether it is directly affiliated with where I am working, or a related university in the area.

....I've gotten the impression that being a good fit for the top tiered sites can work against you sometimes. The top tier, research oriented sites like Brown, UIC, Western Psych, etc. are looking for people who have focused their grad school years toward generating publications, grants, etc..

These sites are also uber-competitive, as they get the most applicants. In contrast, the more clinically oriented internships often don't get as many applications, but they look for people who have a lot of hours and who get lots of diverse clinical experiences. So, if you're someone who has built up a good research resume, at the expense of having a great clinical resume, you may be a good match for the top tier research sites, but you may not have a good, less competitive "safety" site. This is something that concerns me for next year when I apply....

My concern is both having too much experience in one area (already hit the 'ceiling' of what they would teach) and then not having experience in another area (but something I want to learn more about). Ugh.

-t

It's hard to know whether sites will take you with no experience in a certain area just because your interests match what they offer, so applying to sites other than counseling centers was a good idea.

I was wondering if any sites ever write a snail mail letter to invite you to interviews.... I am wondering because I am in New Orleans and our mail service is very unreliable/bad.

It's hard to know whether sites will take you with no experience in a certain area just because your interests match what they offer, so applying to sites other than counseling centers was a good idea.

I'm about half and half with my hospital/ consortium and counseling split. I avoided all of the counseling sites that required direct college counseling experience, in addition to any program that didn't offer other training opportunities.

I was wondering if any sites ever write a snail mail letter to invite you to interviews.... I am wondering because I am in New Orleans and our mail service is very unreliable/bad.

I've heard that if you get something in the mail, it tends to be a rejection. I've only heard back from one site so far (via snail mail) and it was a rejection from a back-up place.

-t

Good luck everybody!!! :luck: I'm in the other applicant pool (applying to doctoral programs) and I can't wait for a thread like this to be started!!!

Wow...this is a painfully slow process....:( APPIC recommends notification by Dec. 15th, but that may not include everyone. I just heard back from another site, though it was a, "we are working on it, but we wanted to let you know that you are still in the running". I appreciated the contact, as the site seems like a great training opportunity, but I was hoping it was about setting up an interview time! I think they get 300+ applicants a year, so I can see why it would take them awhile.

How is everyone else doing with this?

-t

Already interviewed:

Madigan Army Medical Center
Tripler Army Medical Center

Have scheduled:

Brooke Army Medical Center
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Eisenhower Army Medical Center

Rusk, north bronx, and jacobi started notifying.

I'm also still waiting on most of my sites... I'm going a little nuts waiting as well. My email program makes a little ding noise when I get a new email. Recently, every time I hear the ding I get a little hit of anxiety! I think I'm being classically conditioned! Only 9 days to go...

I'm also still waiting on most of my sites... I'm going a little nuts waiting as well. My email program makes a little ding noise when I get a new email. Recently, every time I hear the ding I get a little hit of anxiety! I think I'm being classically conditioned! Only 9 days to go...

Me too! I don't have a ding, I have a little pop up....though I have 6-7 e-mails feeding into my mail program, so sometimes it is a coupon for 20% off, and other times it is an internship site.

-t

Mt. Sinai- Elmhurst

Queens Children

How many programs did everybody apply to?

Thinking of you guys. Hope you all get the interviews you want...

and that they all call on Monday!

Good luck to all of you this week!!! :D

This is the big week

*prays*

Seriously....I'm still waiting to hear back from my Top 8 programs (and then some). I guess that is good news, maybe?

I'm sitting here in class talking about cortisol secretion, and all I'm thinking about it getting interviews.....oh the irony.

:laugh:

-t

My finace and I have heard from:

Univ of Texas (San Antonio)
VA in Montrose
UMDNJ
VA Miami
Kings Cty
VA Manhattan
VA Salt Lake City
Creedmoor
Hudson River
Sunset Terrace
River Valley
Princeston House
Pilgrim

has anyone heard from togus va or white river junction vermont va?

good luck to everyone!

Update:

Just had phone interview with Eisenhower Army Medical Center on Friday.

(My apps aren't this diverse, but these are between a couple people and myself)

Florida International University sent out invites a few days ago
Butler University just sent out invites
Buttner sent out invites last week I think
Suffolk also sent out invites in the last week or so
Southern Illinois University sent out e-mails today
University of Florida sent out e-mails today
LSU: School of Medine sent out e-mails today

-t

I'm finally hearing back today, so far I'm 3 for 4, thank god. That takes a bit of the pressure off, though I still have a bunch more to go.

How is everyone else doing with it coming down to the wire?

-t

Woohoo! Congrats t4c.

Wasn't Vandy your top choice? One of my labmates is there right now.

Wasn't Vandy your top choice? One of my labmates is there right now.

Yeah. :(

I got invited to LSU (#2), but not Vandy (#1) :( I was pretty surprised that I didn't get at least an interview, but these things are such a crap shoot. I'm still waiting to hear from 5 of my Top 8.....so I'm still in pretty good shape.

I did just schedule a 5 day trip down to New Orleans, I'm just hoping I don't get any interviews on those days!!

-t

Oh! Sorry about that, interpreted your previous as saying you had gotten the invite from Vandy.

Well LSU is great from everything I've heard (believe we've placed people there before too). Sounds like there's still some other offers that may come rolling in too!

Oh! Sorry about that, interpreted your previous as saying you had gotten the invite from Vandy.

Well LSU is great from everything I've heard (believe we've placed people there before too). Sounds like there's still some other offers that may come rolling in too!

We'll see how everything shakes out after interviews.....but I think every school I have an invite to or I am waiting on is very solid, so I feel like I'm in a good spot. The schools I were on the fence about rejected me, go figure!

I just keep telling myself that if I haven't heard yet, that hopefully is a good thing.

-t