Internship LOR - get it now or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladymiresa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This summer I've been completing an internship and doing research under the supervision of a physician. A goal of mine is to ask him for a letter of recommendation for when I apply to medical school, which will likely be next summer (I'm a rising junior). My question is, should I ask him if he'd be willing to write my letter NOW, when the work I've done with him is still recent, or should I wait for when I actually need it? I don't know what the standard protocol here is, so any advice would be appreciated.

My hesitation to ask now is because I'm not entirely sure how the AMCAS process works (please excuse my ignorance, that's why I've joined this forum) and I'm worried that all LOR have to be submitted from the author privately or through a secure link or something. If this is the case, I don't see how getting a letter now will do any good bc he will have to resubmit it later, granted I can still get in contact with him.

One final question, although not completely related: I'm interested in becoming an MD but my PI is a DO. Does this matter at all as far as letters of rec go?

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

You can ask now and if he plans on writing it before AMCAS opens next May you can have him submit it via a website known as interfolio. Its a 20$ service that AMCAS approves for letter of recommendations and it will hold your letter until you are ready to submit it to them, it will also secure the confidentiality. I'd ask sooner so you are fresh on their mind if you wont be working with them this school year.

I am not 100% sure on the second question, but I don't think the letters behind their name should matter, and if you chose to apply to a DO school that letter will likely be needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask for it now. When time comes for your app, e-mail him with an updated cover letter and personal statement, and ask if he could update your letter. Just make sure to keep in contact with him once your internship is over, so it wouldn't seem like you're asking out of the blue.

It shouldn't matter that he is a DO, as long as it's a strong, positive letter.

You can ask now and if he plans on writing it before AMCAS opens next May you can have him submit it via a website known as interfolio. Its a 20$ service that AMCAS approves for letter of recommendations and it will hold your letter until you are ready to submit it to them, it will also secure the confidentiality. I'd ask sooner so you are fresh on their mind if you wont be working with them this school year.

I am not 100% sure on the second question, but I don't think the letters behind their name should matter, and if you chose to apply to a DO school that letter will likely be needed.

If you made a good impression waiting until 8-9 months from now to ask is fine.

But interfolio is a fail proof way to go about this.

Ok, thank you guys! I had no idea about this interfolio service, so I will look into it.