Internship questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDude559

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted into pharmacy school and am beginning in the fall of this year. I had some questions regarding intenships:

1) When do students typically apply for internships? Is it possible to start an internship at the beginning of your p1 year? (I am going to a school in michigan)

2) What are the typical wages for interns?

3) How competitive is the job market for interns?

Members don't see this ad.

Apply as soon as you can start working regularly. Whether you'll be an intern or a tech when you start your first year depends on the state.

Your other questions depend on location and company. Could range from 11-25 an hour.

1. There is no "typical" application timeline for interns. You apply when you want to and if you need or want to work. I personally started applying a few months before pharmacy school started and luckily I landed an internship midway through the first semester. I don't know if you can be an intern in Michigan your first year - check your state law.

2. Wages vary greatly depending on setting. Retail may be the lowest, and hospital may be the highest. Another variable is location as well. I'm making 14/hour but with evening differential it's 16/hour.

3. It's pretty competitive just as the pharmacist market. Lots of pharmacy students = limited intern positions.

Overall I'd recommend applying a few months before you start pharmacy school because usually it takes a long time for companies to review applications and choose individuals for interview. Although an internship doesn't guarantee a job these days, it sure may improve your chances if you work your butt off. Good luck.