Internship --> Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maisy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just trying to clear some things up. As I'm sure many of you know, last Thursday was the big "Match Day" for med school soon-to-be graduates. I was reading on the AOA site about how osteopathic students do a one year rotating internship prior to residency training. Is this the same across the board? Also, does this mean D.O. graduates do not match until one year AFTER graduating from school? Any info on this process would be appreciated! Thanks.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Maisy
Just trying to clear some things up. As I'm sure many of you know, last Thursday was the big "Match Day" for med school soon-to-be graduates. I was reading on the AOA site about how osteopathic students do a one year rotating internship prior to residency training. Is this the same across the board? Also, does this mean D.O. graduates do not match until one year AFTER graduating from school? Any info on this process would be appreciated! Thanks.:)

The AOA internship is only required if you want to practice in Fla, Pennsylvania, Michigan, West Virginia, or Oklahoma. Otherwise you can do an ACGME internship, or if your chosen specialty does not require an internship, I suppose none at all.

Let me add that a DO internship is also required if you want to enter a DO residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
In answer to your second question, most programs (the vast majority) are linked positions. In other words you apply for the residency and the internship comes along with it. Nice since you don't have to match twice, bad since you have to decide what you want to do that much sooner.

Also know that depending on your personal situation and circumstances, it is sometimes possible to get the first year (i.e. your intern year) of your ACGME (i.e. allopathic) residency counted as an AOA rotating intern year - you can get the requirement waived. You won't need to worry about this for sometime (assuming you are currently a pre-med), but there's more info about this on the AOA's website... :)