internship vs. research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prmdbeach17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would my summer be better spent doing an internship w/ a doctor at a Children's hospital or doing research at my school/some type of clinical research?? I would really rather do the internship for a unique experience but want to apply to some schools that I think the researach would be very helpful for on my app. I currently have none. And no, it's not this summer. It's next summer, so no need for "it's a bit late for that.":rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Why not just do the one you would enjoy the most?

Because so many applicants have research & I thought I should do some. Plus, I might end up liking it...figured I'd give it a try.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because so many applicants have research & I thought I should do some. Plus, I might end up liking it...figured I'd give it a try.
There's your answer then.

But...wouldn't an internship be more interesting & a more unique experience? Research sort of seems :sleep: to me. I'm trying to find what people would consider more valuable to have.

trust me, don't do research because you think its something you need to have one your resume or because everybody is doing it.

whichever you choose, try to make the most out of it, be active and show you're enthusiastic about it.

in my personal opinion b/c i tried the research one summer and am now doing clinical research internship this summer, i like the internship better...more patient contact...snored my way through benchtop!

prmdbeach17 said:
a more unique experience

No, seeing as many premeds have done the exact same thing.

trust me, don't do research because you think its something you need to have one your resume or because everybody is doing it.

whichever you choose, try to make the most out of it, be active and show you're enthusiastic about it.

in my personal opinion b/c i tried the research one summer and am now doing clinical research internship this summer, i like the internship better...more patient contact...snored my way through benchtop!
Well, that's assuming that the research he (assuming PRMDBeach17 is a guy) speaks of is bench research. Personally I'd rather teabag a nest of fire ants than do bench research- it's that boring....which is why I'm involved with several clinical research projects.

But then again, the idea of basically shadowing a doc (even for a few days, let alone all summer) also makes a visit to the ol' arthropod nest seem inviting.

Both... seriously, you should do both before you apply.

No, seeing as many premeds have done the exact same thing.

Well, that's assuming that the research he (assuming PRMDBeach17 is a guy) speaks of is bench research. Personally I'd rather teabag a nest of fire ants than do bench research- it's that boring....which is why I'm involved with several clinical research projects.

But then again, the idea of basically shadowing a doc (even for a few days, let alone all summer) also makes a visit to the ol' arthropod nest seem inviting.

Hmm..funny I've been assumed to be a guy a few times on here..I'm a girl:D
And I was talking about doing my own bio research project w/ a prof at my school. Bench work is seriously the last thing I would ever do, I think I might like clinical research though.

You might actually enjoy research,you might just be that weird ... like me.

do whatever you'll enjoy the most. personally i'd do the internship because you can do research during school and usually get credit hours for it, thus lightening a class load.

adcoms don't want to see you cramming your ap with stuff to make you look good. they want quality experiences that you can reflect back on and talk a bout.

Hmm..funny I've been assumed to be a guy a few times on here..I'm a girl:D
And I was talking about doing my own bio research project w/ a prof at my school. Bench work is seriously the last thing I would ever do, I think I might like clinical research though.
Personally I love research- at least the clinical and public health forms of it- and that is why I normally try to keep at least three things active at any one time. As someone else said, you never know....you might enjoy it. :)

I would go with the research because it is important for you to learn the actual research process, and it will help you out when applying to top tier schools.

You can always shadow a doctor a couple of times during the year, there is no need to be with that doctor the whole summer.

how do you find/apply to clinical internships?

I would go with the research because it is important for you to learn the actual research process, and it will help you out when applying to top tier schools.

You can always shadow a doctor a couple of times during the year, there is no need to be with that doctor the whole summer.

I second this opinion. I think top research schools will be more interested in you if you have done some sort of bench research.

BUT...to tie in the clinical aspect, you can try to get into a lab with an MD/Ph.D. PI and then you can ask to shadow the PI if/when they have clinical duties (Most MD/Ph.D. PI's are on-call once in a while, which means you'll already have a shadowing opportunity!) That way, you get the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the replies everyone...I think I'm gonna definitely go with the research, and if I like it, I'll be able to do more the next year. I've got a bunch of shadowing hours with this really awesome neurologist who I'll probably shadow throughout this year, too. I realized the internship probably wouldn't be that different from shadowing and not that unique, either.

how do you find/apply to clinical internships?

I found a listing of clinical/non-clinical & "other" internships on my local Children's Hospital website and know a few who are interns there this summer. You just send in your resume, etc to apply.

I think top research schools will be more interested in you if you have done some sort of bench research.

Ah yes......one must watch out for those operative words in a sentence such as this.

I second this opinion. I think top research schools will be more interested in you if you have done some sort of bench research.
BUT...to tie in the clinical aspect, you can try to get into a lab with an MD/Ph.D. PI and then you can ask to shadow the PI if/when they have clinical duties (Most MD/Ph.D. PI's are on-call once in a while, which means you'll already have a shadowing opportunity!) That way, you get the best of both worlds.

In regards to the bolded sentence, it is true that they'd be more interested if you've shown an interest in research, but no one ever said research had to be presented in bench work.