Internship Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubsfan

Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-

I'm a 3rd year that will most likely go into rehab...I have heard various suggestions about the internship---does anyone know what is preferred...Medicine, Surgery, or Transitional Year? I personally liked Surgery a lot more than Medicine (rounds for 4 hrs--woohoo)...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the ACGME requirement for PGY1 year:

One year of the four years of training is to develop fundamental clinical skills. This year of training in fundamental clinical skills must consist of an accredited Transitional Year or include six months or more inpatient responsibility in accredited training in family practice, internal medicine, obstetrics-gynecology, pediatrics, or surgery, or any combination of these patient care experiences. The remaining months of this year may include any combination of accredited specialties or subspecialties.
Accredited training in any of the specialties or subspecialties selected must be for a period of at least four weeks. No more than eight weeks may be in non-direct patient care experiences. Training in fundamental clinical skills must be completed within the first two years of the four year training program.

The Link: http://www.acgme.org/acWebsite/down...0pr703_u704.pdf

As to which is preferred, I don't think PDs care - as long as you fulfill the above requirements.