This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emerald92

Reaction score
I'm a third year international medical student in Queensland and I'm looking at the Position Status Report for the ongoing intern recruitment campaign for Queensland and it definitely does not look pretty.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Agree it's useless. Do not change your preferences after submission based on it. The hospitals invariably find out and it hurts you if you "play the numbers game" in their words.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just following up with this, even though the group A allocations are over, all groups are considered `equal` but not really. A friend of mine spoke with a few programs and they will still place group A students first if they turned down a rural location attempting to get a metro one. Also, I accepted an offer today. There are definitely still state spots for internationals this year, just not that many.

Just following up with this, even though the group A allocations are over, all groups are considered `equal` but not really. A friend of mine spoke with a few programs and they will still place group A students first if they turned down a rural location attempting to get a metro one. Also, I accepted an offer today. There are definitely still state spots for internationals this year, just not that many.
It's been the same every year for the last 5. Ethically and contractually they are going to bound to hire domestics because domestics are guaranteed internship by state regulation.

There's state rural spots at the same rural hospitals each year no domestic wants. Just not that many and not enough for all, but internationals fight over them like it's the end of the world or some prize. Like the years after intern year don't exist. **** doesn't change. Great for rural hospitals each year, but I do wish more internationals did their homework before diving in.

Some hospitals are renown for how poorly they treat their RMOs. I can't name them but AMA Qld posts report cards year after year. There are reasons why domestics don't go there.

Not directed at OP or any one in particular. Just saying for students who freak out year after year. Choices are indeed very limited for internationals and are going to be rural or maybe regional, but you still have a small number options in that pool. Even if it means waiting for the CMI or whatever it's called to open.

Last edited:
There are more JHO spots than intern spots and those spots are based on merit. Priority ranking doesn't matter, which is why it's not that relevant. And there were only 25in state spots available this year after initial group A offering. Finally, after the first round, technically there is no priority other than merit. Hospitals can choose to pick whomever they want, but they aren't contractually obligated to hire domestics after the initial round.

There are more JHO spots than intern spots and those spots are based on merit. Priority ranking doesn't matter, which is why it's not that relevant. And there were only 25in state spots available this year after initial group A offering. Finally, after the first round, technically there is no priority other than merit. Hospitals can choose to pick whomever they want, but they aren't contractually obligated to hire domestics after the initial round.
There's rarely any domestics left unmatched after first round.

25 left to internationals at rural sites versus the 100s that grad each yr from QLD alone. That's gradually been getting worse. To be honest. Compared to past years. But the new rendition of the CMI is around.

JHO spots overall in QLD yes, but at popular places they remain competitive. The spots every hospital would like to fill are the general undifferentiated years where they give you random rotations unrelated to your career aspirations. You get unlucky and you end up with this extra year that provides no career progression. That is why no one wants some of them. Unless you want GP or it's for networking, getting a foothold in the actual hospital you did want.

Some QLD grads try to interstate to skip that general JHO yr, as other states actually streamline their RMOs after internship. They can jump into Qld equivalent of "SHO" positions. This is easier said than done.

I see it happen every year. you're still a student - I would recommend giving a disclaimer when you're giving advice about things you're yet to experience. So you don't have regrets later, people do take what you have to say very literally. Nothing is ever that simple either. never brush off actually complex things as if they're things that don't matter. Maybe they don't matter to you, but they may to someone else who will want competitive things like ophthal. Sorry to be harsh.

There's always reasons why certain trends occur and have been occurring for years. When abnormal things occur you have to ask why, like why are there JHO spots in times of government reported oversupply?

"merit" based sure. Qld remains the only state without interviews. For many the first interview they ever have is their registrar/college or advanced trainee one.

Anyway, this is why I'm saying, when you do have choices, even if very limited for intern year, take them. Think a little. Yes be desperate, and never turn down offers, but be crafty about the hospital you're allowed pursue. look at your big picture.

You want things that require working at a large tertiary site? then don't go to small rural hospitals if possible, unless you want GP or rural generalist. Townsville is a large tertiary with all the subspecialties. they do CMI or ex CMI. Once a hospital knows you, you're more likely to get the rotations or the stream you would like the following year.

Nothing wrong with rural, but leaving for another site often means you end up adding an extra year of random rotations for that new place to get to know you. Which is fine. But when you can make your future easier it's always better to. Things are tough in the current job market from intern year to advanced training to consultant level. You avoid pitfalls and wasting your time by being strategic.

Last edited:
You'll be fine. It's likely you'll get an internship, but be prepared it may not necessarily be you would have liked it to be.

I really wanted to get a metro spot in either Brisbane or Gold Coast, but I ended-up in rural Queensland. No regrets. Good medicine; see and do lots you wouldn't otherwise get to do in a typical metro hospital placement. Wonderful country life if you're lucky enough for your family to come stay with you (or at least visit regularly). Great pay for a junior doctor. Did my time, finished my FACRRM, and moved back to metro life and practice with lots of experience and skills, and good amount of cash to buy a new home.

You'll be fine. It's likely you'll get an internship, but be prepared it may not necessarily be you would have liked it to be.

I really wanted to get a metro spot in either Brisbane or Gold Coast, but I ended-up in rural Queensland. No regrets. Good medicine; see and do lots you wouldn't otherwise get to do in a typical metro hospital placement. Wonderful country life if you're lucky enough for your family to come stay with you (or at least visit regularly). Great pay for a junior doctor. Did my time, finished my FACRRM, and moved back to metro life and practice with lots of experience and skills, and good amount of cash to buy a new home.
It's harder to move around but not impossible. I'm part of the class or classes trying to move post internship now. It is not easy, I wouldn't tell premeds or med students it is. Depending on what you want and where. if you're realistic sure. and want GP then it matters little where you go and what rotations.