Internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarpeDiem89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I thought it would be a great idea too compile a list of internships for everyones reference. There is a few forums on this but its all from years ago or for specific things. This can be for pre-vets or vet students.

If this is an internship that you have done was it good/bad? Would you recommend it to others?

What are the main animals that are involved?

Was it paid or unpaid?

Is this internship working directly with a vet?

If you are a vet student what kinds of internships do you do in the summer time?

Enjoy!

Members don't see this ad.

So I didn't do an internship here but I think the Disney Professional Internships are a really good idea. I think they are especially a great idea for people that have applied, did not get in, and therefor have atleast another year before they are heading off to vet school. They have animal internships available and a few of them are Vet ones. I know you have to be within 6 months of graduating to do these internships, they are competitive, and they are 9 months in length. They are paid but not a whole lot though there are perks like free admittance to the Disney parks! You have to find your own housing though there is an option through Disney. Some of them require you to be scuba certified and some of them don't. When I did not think I was getting in this past application cycle I applied for three of them...Animal Nutrition which involved diet preparation, the Aquatic Vet Hospital one which you work with the vet techs and vets, and the Vet Hospital internship. I interviewed for two of them and then informed them that I got into vet school and therefor dropped out of the running but I really think it is an amazing opportunity!

So I didn't do an internship here but I think the Disney Professional Internships are a really good idea. I think they are especially a great idea for people that have applied, did not get in, and therefor have atleast another year before they are heading off to vet school. They have animal internships available and a few of them are Vet ones. I know you have to be within 6 months of graduating to do these internships, they are competitive, and they are 9 months in length. They are paid but not a whole lot though there are perks like free admittance to the Disney parks! You have to find your own housing though there is an option through Disney. Some of them require you to be scuba certified and some of them don't. When I did not think I was getting in this past application cycle I applied for three of them...Animal Nutrition which involved diet preparation, the Aquatic Vet Hospital one which you work with the vet techs and vets, and the Vet Hospital internship. I interviewed for two of them and then informed them that I got into vet school and therefor dropped out of the running but I really think it is an amazing opportunity!

I went to a meeting about the Disney ones. Yeah, if you could go do stuff at the Animal Kingdom, WOW... but you just get to pick a preference. So, since there are probably quite a few that sign up for the animal stuff, it seemed to me like you could very well end up waiting tables in Epcot or working at one of the hotels. So, I tossed it as an idea. Just my experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to a meeting about the Disney ones. Yeah, if you could go do stuff at the Animal Kingdom, WOW... but you just get to pick a preference. So, since there are probably quite a few that sign up for the animal stuff, it seemed to me like you could very well end up waiting tables in Epcot or working at one of the hotels. So, I tossed it as an idea. Just my experience.

There are the disney college internships, then disney professional internships - different programs. It sounds like you're talking about the former.

Yea for the college program you could end up doing those things but those aren't the professional internships. I know that the animal internships have two parts...one part you work with animals and such and the other part is working with the public. You don't need to dress up like any characters or anything you just are out to educate visitors about different topics...they told me they usually pick local issues for you to talk to the people about. I mean it is competitive, but if you are trying to get into vet school then you are up there with the rest of them anyway. I know they take a different number of interns for each program too, for example, the nutrition internship takes three interns, the aquatic vet takes one, and I think the vet hospital takes three interns as well.