Jul 28, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Does the bystander effect necessarily mean that a person is less likely to be helped when many people are around, or does it only describe the phenomenon that a person is less likely to help when others are around. Based on the aamc sample FL P/S #45, it seems like the AAMC has interpreted the bystander effect as someone is less likely to be helped when many people are around. Can I expect this interpretation of the theory to be consistent with the real MCAT? Thanks

Gilakend

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I've seen it interpreted this way 2x (once AAMC once third party) so I think it is pretty consistent with what the AAMC wants.

Dr. Stalker

5+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2014
Itchy and Scratchy Land
Status
Medical Student
Does the bystander effect necessarily mean that a person is less likely to be helped when many people are around, or does it only describe the phenomenon that a person is less likely to help when others are around. Based on the aamc sample FL P/S #45, it seems like the AAMC has interpreted the bystander effect as someone is less likely to be helped when many people are around. Can I expect this interpretation of the theory to be consistent with the real MCAT? Thanks
Yes.

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Yes they mean it like "the more people that are around, the less likely an individual is likely to help someone they see in need." So you could see a question like, according to the bystander effect, who is more likely to get helped, someone in Times Square or in a classroom? and the classroom would be the correct answer because there are less people.