Interpretation of bystander effect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlaboss

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the bystander effect necessarily mean that a person is less likely to be helped when many people are around, or does it only describe the phenomenon that a person is less likely to help when others are around. Based on the aamc sample FL P/S #45, it seems like the AAMC has interpreted the bystander effect as someone is less likely to be helped when many people are around. Can I expect this interpretation of the theory to be consistent with the real MCAT? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen it interpreted this way 2x (once AAMC once third party) so I think it is pretty consistent with what the AAMC wants.

Does the bystander effect necessarily mean that a person is less likely to be helped when many people are around, or does it only describe the phenomenon that a person is less likely to help when others are around. Based on the aamc sample FL P/S #45, it seems like the AAMC has interpreted the bystander effect as someone is less likely to be helped when many people are around. Can I expect this interpretation of the theory to be consistent with the real MCAT? Thanks
Yes.

Yes they mean it like "the more people that are around, the less likely an individual is likely to help someone they see in need." So you could see a question like, according to the bystander effect, who is more likely to get helped, someone in Times Square or in a classroom? and the classroom would be the correct answer because there are less people.