Interpretations of ITE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sveta

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to exactly interpret your ITE exams? What is the passing score? How do i know my chances of passing the real thing this summer?

Members don't see this ad.

Do a search. This was discussed shortly after the scores came out. The percentile for each score will vary depending on year of training, i.e., a 35 for someone starting their CA3 year will be a lower percentile than a 35 for someone starting their CA2 year. If I recall correctly, a score somewhere around 32 was passing. The first page of your keywords, which includes your score, should also show you where you fit with CA3s taking the test for certification purposes.

Bubalus is correct. A 32 is USUALLY a passing score. The ITE and the ABA written exam are the same test, but not ALL of the questions are counted towards the scoring of the ABA written exam. Some questions are "trial" questions that ONLY count towards the scores of those taking the exam as the ITE. Therefore, it is conceivable that if you were taking it for real and did really well on the questions that were not counted toward the ABA written exam portion, you could get what appears to be a passing score on the scaled score reported back to your program director but not pass the ABA exam. So...the short version is, a scaled score of 32 is most likely a passing score, but I would aim for at least a 33 to be assured. That is my interpretation of the situation. As the quality and brainpower of the anesthesiology residents continues to increase, the percentiles continue to get harder to achieve(ie a score that would have gotten you above the 90th %ile 5 years ago may only be ~60th %ile now. Tougher competition and brighter people for sure.