Interpreting Graph from Khan Academy Qn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dont know what to do

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 1.24.09 PM.png

Hello,

I have a question from one of the Khan Academy Passage " Dietary Supplements for building up muscle" question. I have been really bad at answering graph and statistic questions from the MCAT, so I really need some help here.

In this question, we are supposed to say which amino acid basically increases phosphorylation of elf-4ebp1. Mouse 1 seems pretty straightforward, but when we look at Mouse 2, I have two logics, and don't know which one is the best way to look at the MCAT passages.

I always understood that if the margin of errors on the bars are overlapping, it means there is no significant difference between those to bars. Using this logic, I see that isoleucine is not statistically significant from leucine, and isoleucine is not statistically different from the control either, so based on that, leucine should not be statistically different from the control. ( Using the login A=B, A=C, thus B=C).

I know that the answer is "Leucine", because if you directly compare the "Control bar" and the "Leucine bar", there margins of error bars are not overlapping, so they could be statistically significant in their differences.

But, my question is if you look at the login of my previous point at how leucine can be similar to the control because they are both overlapping with isoleucine, then the answer can be "None of the above", which I believe would not be wrong either. Please explain.

Members don't see this ad.

View attachment 299659
Hello,

I have a question from one of the Khan Academy Passage " Dietary Supplements for building up muscle" question. I have been really bad at answering graph and statistic questions from the MCAT, so I really need some help here.

In this question, we are supposed to say which amino acid basically increases phosphorylation of elf-4ebp1. Mouse 1 seems pretty straightforward, but when we look at Mouse 2, I have two logics, and don't know which one is the best way to look at the MCAT passages.

I always understood that if the margin of errors on the bars are overlapping, it means there is no significant difference between those to bars. Using this logic, I see that isoleucine is not statistically significant from leucine, and isoleucine is not statistically different from the control either, so based on that, leucine should not be statistically different from the control. ( Using the login A=B, A=C, thus B=C).

I know that the answer is "Leucine", because if you directly compare the "Control bar" and the "Leucine bar", there margins of error bars are not overlapping, so they could be statistically significant in their differences.

But, my question is if you look at the login of my previous point at how leucine can be similar to the control because they are both overlapping with isoleucine, then the answer can be "None of the above", which I believe would not be wrong either. Please explain.
Following

Leucine is absolutely better than control, Isoleucine is sort of (statistically speaking) better than control. The simplest answer is often the best.

Reactions: 1 user