interservice transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCBShocker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone in the Air Force has been wanting to go Navy for an interservice transfer (medical active duty, or maybe fourth year HPSP) and has been having trouble. Just giving a shout out for the possibility, trying to start a family in the Air Force and of course the Navy is not going to be to happy losing one of its members without a 1:1 switch.

All the best to you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Once you are free and clear of your obligation I think it is pretty easy to switch

ya thats not really a good option because me being Air Force and her Navy we are looking at possibly 4 years seperation before her committment is over... to all the experienced folks I know what I am asking for is one in a million but if anyone is in the Air Force now and would like to go to Navy we could definitly help each other out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell us more. Are you married? Are you both 4th year med students?

We are married, im a fourth year at usuhs and she is an intern. I have longer committment so they want her to come to my service but navy wont let her go unless there is 1:1... trying to find out all I can... but pretty bleak right now..

Is she USUHS or HPSP?

Instead of your wife going Air Force could you swap with someone and go Navy? That way both you guys would be Navy.

Do you know Air Force bases are adjacent to Navy bases?

Here are the ones I know about:
Langley AFB and Naval Medical Center Portsmouth in Virginia.
Naval Health Clinic Hawaii and Hickam AFB
US Naval Hospital and Kadena AFB in Okinawa, Japan

I am USU and she is HPSP... according to the AF she needs to switch due to my committment is 7 years and hers is only 4. The AF has also been extremely kind to me in allowing me to stay in a navy training site for the next year which was amazing, the problem is she didnt get her training choice so we are still facing seperation fears. The bases you mentioned are actually an option I just discussed with a very helpful Navy Commander and may be what we end up doing until her committment is up and she can leave.

I was just messaging here because if there is a 1 to 1 transfer it could solve the problem here and now... but thats not how life works most of the time. We are just very lucky we found our other halves... we just have to work to make it as best as it possibly can be.

Why don't you both switch to the Army? I bet you could easily find two people who would do that switch.

Why can't you swap with one of your USUHS classmates? Your classmate goes AF and in exchange you go Navy. Payback is the same so it's an even swap.

The army idea will be too many people switching as there will be 4 (one army to airforce, one army to navy, and then me to army and Lindsey to army) and they will probably have an aneurysm before that is accomplished. I am asking my classmates right now but have not heard back. The idea that the Navy Commander gave me yesterday is actually quite promising and will be looking into that. I really appreciate your continued suggestions, any plan / option to consider is better than having none.