Interventional Neurology lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dramw

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a PGY1 going into neurology. in 4th year medical school, I got introduced to interventional neurology and think I might be interested into going into it. I would like to ask about the lifestyle ( especially schedule ) of this field. Is it 2 on 2 off with being on call 24/7 when on? Can you work with partners and do 12 hour shifts and be on call every other weekend for example? I also heard the pay is about 350 plus?( I know it depends on location etc ). I would like the ability to do inpatient and outpatient hopefully. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Literally all of this depends on the local practice situation. Many busy groups take 24h calls but the call frequency and length completely depends on the size of the group, volume, and differential seniority. There are some groups with a division chief who is going to take less call than the most junior person. Some programs that have a strong referral base or rely on a lot of daytime diagnostic studies with a lighter stroke/SAH volume might opt for longer call shifts than a program where you know you're likely to be up most nights.

That said, I don't know any endovascular people who have a cushy lifestyle. Part of that is self-selection. Also, neuroIR suites are expensive to maintain, operate, and staff, so they need to be relatively busy to be budget neutral/positive. If you don't want to be in the suite, someone else will be happy to drink your milkshake.

Reactions: 1 users
as one of my neuro-interventionalist mentors once said to me "we have a life?"