Interventional pain opportunities for non-trads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hopefulscribe2

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I was wondering how the job market is for non-anesthesiology, non-PMR backgrounds for freshly graduated fellow (neuro, psych, EM, FM). I hear the job market can be tough at times, and I am always willing to move for a job. Additionally, is there a disparity in pay depending on the background?
 
In my experience, job market is bad and yes there is disparity in pay. Anes pays tons more bc they do anesthesia mixed in; PMR-pain jobs often ask the docs to do EMGs and they are especially cozy with ortho groups. Many hospital system credentialing committees have it written in their bylaws that only anesthesia and pmr can do pain, and unless youre a stellar candidate aren't going to change those bylaws for you. Pain overall is paying less and less, and IME employers are seeing less anesthesia folks and subsequently paying even less and less. I have seen rates as low as $85/hour 1099 for pain, and 220k for a pain job in NYC bronx. Those are rates assuming they would even take a non-trad pain doc.