Interventional Pulm and CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kushr88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anybody that splits Interventional Pulm and CC? I'm an intern and i'm definitely doing Pulm/CC but as of late i've become interested in Interventional Pulm and would try and get a fellowship at a shop with a Interventional Pulm year to help my chances if I go that route.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know anybody that splits Interventional Pulm and CC? I'm an intern and i'm definitely doing Pulm/CC but as of late i've become interested in Interventional Pulm and would try and get a fellowship at a shop with a Interventional Pulm year to help my chances if I go that route.

The only people I know splitting the two are in universities. In the private world you'll most likely need to do some general pulmonary too in order to make your nut. Until IP starts reimbursing better (and that may be never) I don't see how you can just do both outside of a major referral center.

I did an ICU rotation as a student where the group had one interventional pulm member who practiced both. I have no idea how it actually worked out, but it does exist (I think)

Members don't see this ad :)
Got ya, thanks for the replies. Anyone know how competitive it is at the moment? I'd like to go to a place like U Pitt for Pulm/CC and then have a shot after but from what i've heard unless you go to that same place as the fellowship its tough.

Got ya, thanks for the replies. Anyone know how competitive it is at the moment? I'd like to go to a place like U Pitt for Pulm/CC and then have a shot after but from what i've heard unless you go to that same place as the fellowship its tough.

Doing an extra year of interventional is not generally competitive. If you want to find an extra year you will. You might have trouble simply landing some time doing a year with Atul Mehta at CCF for instance, but getting a year to do more cases?? Nah. In fact, a lot of times your home program may even make an extra year for you. A place like Pitt would likely have the money for a fourth year fellow to do IP for instance, even if they don't offer a super-fellowship per se.

After talking to the IP fellow at my home program, understand that IP procedures do vary from program to program. Also, a lot of things that where considered "IP" are now considered general pulm. For example, EBUS/TBNA, navigational branch, thermoplasty where considered IP, but now if you go to certain fellowships, you should know how to do these by the time you graduate. I really consider "IP" anything to involves a rigid bronch (i.e. stents etc). Also, like previous posters have said, at the current state of IP, if you really want to do all the cool procedures you are likely going to be working academics. Private practice is NOT going to pay for all those cool toys with little reimbursement. Not to take away from your dreams, but I would consider a STRONG FELLOWSHIP that allows you to do cool procedures and then seeing if you still want it....

Reactions: 1 user