Interventional radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gpugems1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All, Thanks to everyone for giving great feedback. I am a 3rd year medical student and am beginning the stress of residency application. I have a question about deciding which program to apply for if I want interventional radiology. Do some residency programs offer it and some don't? Do i need to apply separately or do I just decide after I am already in the residency program? Is it a joint program like i apply for radiology/interventional radiology next year?

THanks for you help guys and gals

Members don't see this ad.

There are some programs that offer an integrated IR program. It's called the Direct pathway. You can google it and I think there should be a list of programs that offer it. Other than that, you can go to any diagnostic radiology program for residency and then do a fellowship on IR, which is usually 1 year (unless it's neuro IR, which is 2 years I believe).

Yep that's right. And, in fact, it's pretty easy to get IR fellowship spots after matching into diagnostic radiology residencies. About 1/2 of spots don't fill.

I personally would advise against the direct programs just to keep your options open. You can still do diagnostic work after the fellowship route (where you apply for 1 year of training after residency), but you can't after the direct route. Most practices want you to do a bit of both, so you block yourself from a lot of jobs going direct. There are also fairly few direct programs so odds of matching are low.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know if DOs have landed spots at the top-tier IR fellowship programs?:xf:

IR fellowship at the competitive spots can be tough to get for anyone. But, in general interventional physicians are looking for someone who is 1.smart 2. hardworking 3. good personality but most importantly is a good clinician and willing to take care of patients in a longitudinal fashion. Research, residency program, and letters as well as IR experience and clinical training all will certainly help for a fellowship spot. The tag DO is not of significant concern if we think the applicant is going to be a good fit for the training program. There is a growing number of outstanding DO interventionalists in training and in practice. There has been a recent surge in interest in IR among radiology residents as IR becomes a more robust and true clinical specialty.

AGREE 100%. Also keep in mind that the current job market and future outlook for IR is infinitely much healthier than JUST diagnostic radiology.

IR fellowship at the competitive spots can be tough to get for anyone. But, in general interventional physicians are looking for someone who is 1.smart 2. hardworking 3. good personality but most importantly is a good clinician and willing to take care of patients in a longitudinal fashion. Research, residency program, and letters as well as IR experience and clinical training all will certainly help for a fellowship spot. The tag DO is not of significant concern if we think the applicant is going to be a good fit for the training program. There is a growing number of outstanding DO interventionalists in training and in practice. There has been a recent surge in interest in IR among radiology residents as IR becomes a more robust and true clinical specialty.