Interview advice please

Started by lainey234
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lainey234

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After 2+ yrs of gpa repair post bacc work, against all odds I have receieved an interview to my state school for next week. This is my 4th interview so I am fairly comfortable, but looking through the interview feedback section I have seen one recurring question that I am stumped on:

"Tell me about a medical ethics question, excluding (examples given of most common 4-5 medical ethics questions)."

Ummm, ok. I can certainly discuss numerous medical ethics questions and articulate myself well. The problem I have is the part where they exclude the most common!

So, in my mind I have come up with (all fairly common imo):

- Abortion
- Euthanasia
- Transplant
- End of life issues
- Stem cells

Can anyone help think of any others? I am NOT looking for opinions, I am more than capable of researching and formulating my own thoughts. I am just looking for suggestions. Thanks a bunch.
 
Last edited:
Use of drug samples

Wrote a paper about this for ethics class. Doesn't rate up there with stem cell research, etc. but it would likely be a unique thought. And several COM are banning drug reps and samples or at least they were 3 years ago when I researched it.
 
Thanks Loralee, that was the kind of suggestion I was hoping for. Something a little out of the ordinary.

Anyone else?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's a question I got at an interview:

"Do you think it's ever appropriate not to tell the whole truth to a patient?"

I said yes, depending on the situation. Like if the patient has blatantly lied to you (about taking their meds/insulin/whatever), it's perhaps best not to let him/her know that "I'm sorry, sir, you haven't told the truth." Just deal with the situation bearing in mind that non-compliance is a concern.
 
Public Health vs. Privacy Concerns (For example, if a patient is HIV positive, admits to risky behavior and has a spouse who is unaware of this.)

Overriding Guardian Decisions (The classic "blood transfusion" scenario with Jehovah's witnesses or one I got asked about in an interview about overriding parental decisions in the treatment of pediatric cancer patients - At what point do get a court order?)

Placebos. Was also asked about the ethics of giving patients placebos and sham procedures in clinical trials.