SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Interview advice requested

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ParisAmel, Feb 5, 2001.

1. ParisAmel

ParisAmel Junior Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Boston, MA, USA
    I have an interview at BU Dental School and was wondering if anyone has any advice to offer me, from possible questions received from an interview at BU or any other dental school. This is my third time applying to dental school, and my first interview that has been offered, so you can imagine my excitement and anticipation. I'm very confident in my application, but would appreciate any help so I'm completely prepared.

Thank you very much!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. bertman

bertman Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 10, 2000
    I had an interview with BU, and it was no problem. The interview was with one faculty member and very relaxing. I was asked "why do you want to be a dentist", and "tell me about yourself". That was it, that simple. I talked mabye a total of 10 minutes or so. The interviewer did most of the talking, about the rest of the 45 minute interview. At least that's what it seemed like. I know it sounds hard, but just try to be as relaxed as possible. They really just want to see who you are. It's hard to define people based just on the info on paper they have. I hopes this eases your anxiousness that you have. BU was my first interview, and am happy to say that it turned out great as well. GOod luck

4. dreamfish

dreamfish Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2001
    Illinois
    I'm going to have my first interview, too..in about 2 weeks. GOWER gave me some good tips, check out the reply from <b>UB buffalo interview....help!!</b>
    good luck

dreamfish

5. Toothmaster

Toothmaster New Member

Jan 30, 2001
    Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck!!!!!

6. Tabi

Tabi Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Canada
    Hey...don't fret about BU interview...as long as you're honest and sincere in your answers, you'll do fine. Be prepared to talk about your hobbies (what you do in your spare time and why) and your weaknesses. be honest about your motivation to be a dentist and use your hobbies to back-up your motor skills

7. ParisAmel

ParisAmel Junior Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Boston, MA, USA
    Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement and advice! That's just what I needed to hear [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by ParisAmel (edited 02-17-2001).]

8. Dr. Pedo

Dr. Pedo Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 14, 2001
    Congrats!!!!!!! An interview means they are definitely interested..... They are simply looking for a reason not to give you a seat. Don't give them a reason----be yourself, express your passion for dentistry and you'll be just fine. Please up-date us when you get accepted!!!!!!!!

9. gower

gower 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York
    Doc, I must disagree with you on the purpose of the interview: it is to find reason to ACCEPT a candidate, not to reject. It is easy to find reason, or no reason at all, to reject without interview. But once someone is invited to interview no professional school wants to waste a valuable resource--the time of the interviewer--who has other professional responsibilities, just to say, "hah, gotcha" in order to reject.

Except for that quibble, your advice was sound. Interviewees should confidently put their best foot forward. Give them reason to accept.