Interview Anxiety...HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychApplicant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having my interview for a Psy.D program on Monday... I went to a mock interview today and it went horrible.. questions were very confusing and hard... I'm very worried about the process.. If someone has gone through the process could you please let me know about questions and possible answers?? What to ask?? THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having my interview for a Psy.D program on Monday... I went to a mock interview today and it went horrible.. questions were very confusing and hard... I'm very worried about the process.. If someone has gone through the process could you please let me know about questions and possible answers?? What to ask?? THANKS

Hi Psych, I applied to Psy.D last year but am going to a Ph.D this fall. I can tell you that the Psy.D seemed more concerned with clinical work and experience, so anticpate questions within that area. Have general interests, don't be too specific. Always Always have questions to ask them. Ask about outcomes, placements, typical first year class schedule, qualifying exams and cost of living. If you researched the program, coming up with questions should not be too difficult.

You can google clinical psychology interview questions and will find a list of the most commonly asked questions- but do not expect them to be delivered in that exact manner; most of my interviews were like conversations and discussions. My best advice is to no over rehearse, being authentic and having a certain amount of spontaneity is good. Relax and be yourself, be honest and excited about the program. Don't forget that you have made it this far and that is great, and remember that you are interviewing them just as much as they are you. Good Luck and Relax !

Members don't see this ad :)

Hi! Maybe this link will help you: http://www.livejournal.com/tools/memories.bml?user=applyingtograd&keyword=Interviews&filter=all

Above being ready with answers, try to visualize yourself in the interview situation being confident, relaxed, always having an answer to their questions. Try to have some rest on Sunday evening and night.

Good luck!:luck:

Remember, interviews are essentially social skill evaluations. You wouldn't have been offered an interview if you weren't qualified, so focus on connecting with your interviewer(s). Your task is to prove that you have the ability to quickly establish a relationship with the person across from you. View the interview more as a conversation between two people that have a strong interest in the same topic. There are no "right" or "wrong" answers as long as you appear confident and can explain your line of thinking. Envision yourself as the professional you hope to be someday.

Also, have friends, neighbors, family, and strangers constantly throw out random questions this weekend to help desensitize you to odd questions

Remember, interviews are essentially social skill evaluations. You wouldn't have been offered an interview if you weren't qualified, so focus on connecting with your interviewer(s). Your task is to prove that you have the ability to quickly establish a relationship with the person across from you. View the interview more as a conversation between two people that have a strong interest in the same topic. There are no "right" or "wrong" answers as long as you appear confident and can explain your line of thinking. Envision yourself as the professional you hope to be someday.

I agree...I went to a school psych interview where we had an hour long Q&A portion (which felt much, much longer) followed by a very brief, group interview (....followed by more Q&A). I really believe they were just observing us and wanted to know how we did with others. Just be yourself. If you're a bit more laid back, then be laid back. If you're more outgoing, be outgoing. Mainly, you need to stay calm through it all. Envision them as your favorite friends and colleagues and try to create that same comfort level.

In regard to answering questions, take the time to write up answers and rehearse them out loud. I wrote out a few pages of answers to general questions (i.e., tell me about yourself/your research, why did you choose this school, etc) and went over them for about a week. When different questions came up, I was able to draw from the basic info from my rehearsed answers. You can tell if someone is prepared for an interview or not, and I think it showed (...and they accepted me, which is why I am making this bold statement :)).

Lastly, the interview process is also a chance for YOU to see if you mesh well with the faculty and grad students, so take ample time to observe how they behave.

Honestly, just be YOURSELF! That's all it comes down to. I got accepted everywhere that I interviewed at and I do not think I'm nearly as good on paper as some of the other people I met on interview day.

They liked you enough to ask you to come for an interview. If you be who you are - and they like you, you'rwe in or on a wait-list. If they don't like you for who you are, and you get rejected...did you really want to go there anyway?

That was my attitude and it worked for me - that I'd get in places where I was liked and not get in places that there just wasn't a fit or connection. And believe me, I'm not expert interviewee - I usually get the anxiety.

As for tough or "gotcha" questions...I took my time to answer them with a "wow, good question!" response. But honestly I did not get any tricky ones, except at one interview.

From a PsyD you will be asked:
Why a PsyD not a PhD?
Where do you see yourself working in the next 5 yrs? The next 10?
Why our PsyD program?
Questions about past experience clinically...

When they want you to ask:
Ask about things that matter in order for you to want to go there. This is your true chance to interview THEM:
*Internship match rates (everyone should be asking about this one)
*Practicum Placements
*What type of populations can students work with?
*Where are some of their grads working? Are any doing what you want to do?

Good Luck I'm sure you'll do very well!
Jon

Honestly, just be YOURSELF! That's all it comes down to. I got accepted everywhere that I interviewed at and I do not think I'm nearly as good on paper as some of the other people I met on interview day.

They liked you enough to ask you to come for an interview. If you be who you are - and they like you, you'rwe in or on a wait-list. If they don't like you for who you are, and you get rejected...did you really want to go there anyway?

That was my attitude and it worked for me - that I'd get in places where I was liked and not get in places that there just wasn't a fit or connection. And believe me, I'm not expert interviewee - I usually get the anxiety.

As for tough or "gotcha" questions...I took my time to answer them with a "wow, good question!" response. But honestly I did not get any tricky ones, except at one interview.

From a PsyD you will be asked:
Why a PsyD not a PhD?
Where do you see yourself working in the next 5 yrs? The next 10?
Why our PsyD program?
Questions about past experience clinically...

When they want you to ask:
Ask about things that matter in order for you to want to go there. This is your true chance to interview THEM:
*Internship match rates (everyone should be asking about this one)
*Practicum Placements
*What type of populations can students work with?
*Where are some of their grads working? Are any doing what you want to do?

Good Luck I'm sure you'll do very well!
Jon

Thank you very much Jon!

I really appreciate your response it has definitely lower my anxiety!

I'll keep everything you said in mind!

Thanks again

I agree on the social skills aspect, but it's more than just wooing the person across from you. I think it's also important to show a genuine interest in the program by talking with as many people in the department (faculty and students) as possible.

We just finished our interview weekend, and it was abysmal to see how many of the applicants didn't bother to meet all of the grad students or faculty. I was one of the students who was most ignored, but I wasn't alone -- the dean of the entire department was wholly ignored by the applicants, which is crazy. Sure, she's not clinical faculty, but students here can work w/ non-clinical faculty and...anyhow, she's the dean and obviously an important individual. In fact, she has a say in the type of funding incoming students get. I specifically know that, b/c of the dean, I was able to secure the most desirable funding situation in my class.

I was even trying to encourage one of the applicants to talk w/ the dean yesterday. The applicant dismissed me at first, saying "but she's not on the committee" (as in the committee that makes the admissions decisions). I eventually got her to talk with the dean, but it took a lot of prodding.

So, all of this is to say...get to know everyone in the department, ask them all questions, and show interest. The more people who know you, the better.