Interview attire for ladies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haileypark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ladies, what are you going to wear? and hair?

I have dark long hair and I want to keep my hair long..
so what did you do with your long hair?

and...can I wear a skirt like a pencil skirt??

Members don't see this ad.

I wore a suit jacket and skirt (above-the-knee)...both pinstripe and dark navy color...with a cream blouse inside...along with pantyhose and black kitten heels~
Other girls at the interviews had similar attire to mine...some wore dress pants...some wore a dress...some wore flats...some wore heels~ suit colors were mainly black...grey...and navy~

I have long black hair too...i kept it down because i feel more comfortable that way. And most girls did keep their hair down...i dont remember seeing a girl with their hair up. guess we all like it down lol~

hope this helps~ good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wore a suit jacket and skirt (above-the-knee)...both pinstripe and dark navy color...with a cream blouse inside...along with pantyhose and black kitten heels~
Other girls at the interviews had similar attire to mine...some wore dress pants...some wore a dress...some wore flats...some wore heels~ suit colors were mainly black...grey...and navy~

I have long black hair too...i kept it down because i feel more comfortable that way. And most girls did keep their hair down...i dont remember seeing a girl with their hair up. guess we all like it down lol~

hope this helps~ good luck!
YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

quick question ladies!

how do you feel about print on a dress. like a pinstripe or houndstooth on the dress with a plain blazer? is the print too much?

I wore an orange Banana Republic blazer with a black pencil skirt and Tahari flats with my hair down. Of course I was the only person in the interview that wore ORANGE, but I felt very put together and stylish. It reflected my personality, and I liked that I was being myself. "Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"

I wore an orange Banana Republic blazer with a black pencil skirt and Tahari flats with my hair down. Of course I was the only person in the interview that wore ORANGE, but I felt very put together and stylish. It reflected my personality, and I liked that I was being myself. "Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"
That's one way one could present adorableness, radiance, and 😊.

Hey!

Do y'all think it matters if heels are patent or suede?

Okay, thanks! Which one would you say is most appropriate?

I wore a beige skirt-suit and brown heels. All the other ladies wore dark suits. I think as long as your skirt isn't too short and you feel confident and look professional you will do well.

I wore a black pencil skirt (knee length), black blazer, cream colored silk blouse, pantyhose, and patent black heels (about 3" high). Besides the heels, I felt kind of frumpy on the day of my interview and I didn't feel as confident as I would have liked to about my appearance. I'm thinking the pantyhose had something to do with it. At my interview (UOP last week), me and one other girl had hair half up, two had ponytails, and one had her hair just down. I have long, wavy blonde hair and was trying to stay away from the sorority girl look but hate how it looks when it's all up.

I think for my next interview I will wear pants instead of the skirt and do a sleek ponytail. I'm looking forward to hearing what other girls are wearing though!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wore a black pencil skirt (knee length), black blazer, cream colored silk blouse, pantyhose, and patent black heels (about 3" high). Besides the heels, I felt kind of frumpy on the day of my interview and I didn't feel as confident as I would have liked to about my appearance. I'm thinking the pantyhose had something to do with it. At my interview (UOP last week), me and one other girl had hair half up, two had ponytails, and one had her hair just down. I have long, wavy blonde hair and was trying to stay away from the sorority girl look but hate how it looks when it's all up.

I think for my next interview I will wear pants instead of the skirt and do a sleek ponytail. I'm looking forward to hearing what other girls are wearing though!
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1030387

Did you take your purse with you???
If you did, what style of purse did you take with you?

I am planning on wearing a cream colored silk blouse, black skinny suit pants from jcrew, a grey blazer, and these pointy-toed Joie flats that are silk and have a print on them but they are tan and not loud at all...does this all sound too informal? I really don't like low heels on me and I have been told that ballet flats are unprofessional so I don't know what shoes are the best choice. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

These are the shoes (but in tan, obviously) btw: http://www.joie.com/day-dreaming-icon-red-black

Did you take your purse with you???
If you did, what style of purse did you take with you?
I brought a tote-style black leather purse from Nine West. Very understated but big enough to fit a folder, water, pens, etc. All the girls had some sort of bag.

In the event that I am granted an interview (crossing fingers), would this be an appropriate dress?
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1405400206.079340.jpg

Skirt suits do nothing for my frame (I'm not trying to be dramatic here but it's true. Too many layers and choppiness for my petite frame). And pant suits make me feel like a boy. I think I'd feel much more confident and comfortable in a dress to be honest. I've looked through tonnes of threads about this but it seems like the majority of ladies opt for suits of some sort.

Are dresses of this type acceptable attire?

p.s. dying to throw a bold, colorful statement necklace on this chick and comb that hot mess hair. And introduce her to the Big Sexy Hair product line. Girlfriend needs volume, stat.

Last edited:
From the interview advice threads, ladies, wear low heels to interviews. It appears that you will be walking a lot, up and down stairs, across campus, during your 5-6 hour interview sessions. You want to be elegant, but comfortable, and not too stressed by the heels that you couldn't think straight to answer the interview questions. My 2 cents.

YES WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES

Also... I don't know that I'd just wear a dress. Although I'd much prefer a dress, I wore a pantsuit (but a skirt suit would be fine). You don't want to be remembered for your outfit, and this is one thing I'd just rather not "risk it" on. Sure, chances are that unless you wear something totally "out there," you'll be fine--but what if you get stuck with some really old-fashioned interviewer? You never know. Sometimes, it's best just to minimize risks and play it safe. :)

I've seen some debate about wearing hair up vs. down... Mine was down.

I hate suits because I don't feel like they are comfortable for me at all, so I wore a dress. And it wasn't plain. It was black and white houndstooth with a black blazer and black heels. My dress definitely made me stand out, but in a good way I think. It was cute but still professional, and I felt confident in it. My only concern is that make sure it isn't too short when you sit down. At the knees or 1-2 inches above is fine.

PM me if you would like to see a pic of my outfit! :)

This is why I prefer to wear fitted dress pants (Express!!!!!) to interviews. They never ride up and, if tailored to you, will accentuate your body modestly. ALSO, please consider that if you go interview in the east coast during the winter, it is cold as HELL and skirts would be death. Tufts interview in January this past year = frozen.

As for footwear, kitten heels are appropriate. I don't like wearing flats even though they are the most comfortable choice, because it makes you look frumpy.

Show some skin and you'll get an acceptance :banana:

I wore a charcoal colored skirt suit, with nude nose, and a plum blouse. I also had two pairs of shoes - a black leather heel and black leather flats. I wore the heels during the interview and switched to flats during the tours. I also carried a plain black leather bag with me during to keep the change of shoes and other necessities in.

ETA: I wore my hair different each time. I have thick, long hair and it's a wavy/loose curl texture. Sometimes it air dries and looks amazing with minimal styling. Other times, it looks like I'm a homeless person. Based on what my hair did, I either wore it in a sleek bun or down.

Mini skirt, with tube top blouse, nice medium heels, bright lipstick, and chew gum.

Yea....

Im taking notes from this thread so when I show up to the interview, they'll be expecting a dude and BOOM a girl shows up. And they'll be like "whaaa-?"

Then Ill be all like "just kidding"

Then they'll remember because I'm that guy who likes to (and very skilled at) cross-dressing. Diversity.

Reactions: 1 users
Im taking notes from this thread so when I show up to the interview, they'll be expecting a dude and BOOM a girl shows up. And they'll be like "whaaa-?"

Then Ill be all like "just kidding"

Then they'll remember because I'm that guy who likes to (and very skilled at) cross-dressing. Diversity.

Good idea.