Interview Attire - Male

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sensibleshrike

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview coming up in around a week and I was wondering if wearing a navy suit would be acceptable or if an interview committee would want something more formal like a black suit, please let me know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

i have been wearing a navy suit to all of my interviews of far. It stands out against a sea of black suits in a rather good way.

Reactions: 2 users
I wore a navy suit to all my interviews, and I got accepted to every school that I interviewed. Even wore a checkered button up instead of a plain one :)
Have a bit of fun, look professional, and mostly importantly wear something that will make you feel confident.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Navy, grey, charcoal, and black are all fine choices. Your main concerns should be finding a color that works well with your complexion, and getting the suit tailored.

Reactions: 1 user
Opt for navy. Completely avoid black, unless you're going to a funeral. Navy is a very professional color, along with charcoal.

Go with light grey. I've been the only one at every interview thus far and have been complemented too. I'll probably switch to navy for my November interview though

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Fun fact: at my grandmothers memorial dinner, I wore a black suit and was mistaken for a waiter 3x.

Rip grandma. Go for navy or grey, they look better.

You don't wanna look like you're going to the Kentucky Derby or anything obviously, but a navy suit will do you just fine lol. Have fun with it. I interview in Detroit this weekend, and I'll wear a navy suit, matching brown shoes/belt, nice watch and then have some fun with the rest to show some personality. Wear what makes you confident, nothing crazy though.

I like how people try to equate interview attire with acceptances. I wore an awkwardly fitting black suit with worn down, unpolished shoes to all 8 of my interviews because that's all I had and got 7 acceptances. I claim no connection between the two. All you need to do is wear a suit of conservative color and look professional without looking too showy or . Specific color, style, cuff links, etc. doesn't really matter.

I like how people try to equate interview attire with acceptances. I wore an awkwardly fitting black suit with worn down, unpolished shoes to all 8 of my interviews because that's all I had and got 7 acceptances. I claim no connection between the two. All you need to do is wear a suit of conservative color and look professional without looking too showy or . Specific color, style, cuff links, etc. doesn't really matter.
I completely agree. If you only have one suit, then work with what you got. However, if you are buying your first suit, you might as well start off on the right foot style wise.

I like how you subtly threw shade at my comment.

My point is that dressing nicely does help and can't hurt with the interview process. Which is something I'm sure you and I can both agree on.

And looking presentable CANT hurt you
It's the little things, too, that can add up to an acceptance or denial to a person on the bubble. 50$ at a tailor can turn a bummy suit into something that fits you well and you feel great in. You don't have to be Mr. GQ or enjoy style or anything (I do personally, but it's not for everyone and that's cool), but if you don't get into a school, you don't want to be saying you wished you put more effort into your clothes, of all things. Good first impressions are key.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview coming up in around a week and I was wondering if wearing a navy suit would be acceptable or if an interview committee would want something more formal like a black suit, please let me know what to do.

I don't think suit color will significantly influence whether you are accepted or not (you're are interviewing with dental faculty, hardly up to date on the latest trend on men's fashion). With that said, more important than color (within reason) is fit. If your build is average or athletic go with a slim fit suit. So many guys buy suits/clothes way to be big and baggy. For color (if you have the option) I would go with charcoal grey or navy blue rather than black. I would stick with a white shirt (also fitted). You can add some color with a sharp looking tie. Also nice black shoes (I remember dudes wearing bulky sketchers on residency interviews, though I doubted this hurt them). Bottom line you want to feel confident about yourself so dress accordingly. It's worth investing into a couple of nice suits that you can also use when interviewing for jobs after training and social events such as weddings etc.

I like how you subtly threw shade at my comment.

My point is that dressing nicely does help and can't hurt with the interview process. Which is something I'm sure you and I can both agree on.
No shade at you, or at least not you specifically. This is probably the 10th thread about the exact same topic in the past month. There are a lot of people that try to draw that same conclusion and a lot of people who like to overthink things. And you are correct, dressing nicely doesn't hurt, but no need to break the bank for a different suit of a different color when the one that you already have will do. And I'm not trying to say anybody suggested buying a whole new suit, I'm just speaking generally.

What are everyone's thoughts on a light gray suit for men? I have one that fits nicely but I don't want to "stand out" in an distasteful way. Also, would you choose to pair the suit with black or brown shoes/belt?
Approximate shade:
650-donald-trump-40s-34w-light-gray-striped-two-button-new-men-s-suit-set-mg255-37ef9a1bc1410d32bd69a52172300b8d.jpg

What are everyone's thoughts on a light gray suit for men? I have one that fits nicely but I don't want to "stand out" in an distasteful way. Also, would you choose to pair the suit with black or brown shoes/belt?
Approximate shade:

Also wondering the same thing but my suit looks like this:

m-sut0481-01.jpg

A lot depends on how you feel in those clothes. For me is important to look good to the point that uncomfortable shoes would effect how well I perform on the interview. For some people nice professional look may make the difference

A lot depends on how you feel in those clothes. For me is important to look good to the point that uncomfortable shoes would effect how well I perform on the interview. For some people nice professional look may make the difference
I don't think I ever suggested not to look good/professional or not to do something that makes you feel confident. I just really think people are overthinking it. If it is a personal thing, then do whatever works for you. If the opinion of a random stranger on SDN will give you the confidence to do well, fine. If the only color combination that makes you perform well is a navy suit vs a black suit and a tie with a love note from your high school girlfriend written in silver Sharpie on the back, fine. But people were asking other people what to wear which makes me think it has nothing to do about what feels good to them. And when it comes down to it, I HIGHLY doubt that the admissions committee will favor someone based off of suit color.

Also wondering the same thing but my suit looks like this:

View attachment 223436
Approximate shade:
650-donald-trump-40s-34w-light-gray-striped-two-button-new-men-s-suit-set-mg255-37ef9a1bc1410d32bd69a52172300b8d.jpg

You're way overthinking this. Gray is a professional color that will never go out of style or come off as too flashy, taking away from the interview, etc. The biggest thing is that you have a suit that you feel confident in so when you're in your interview, you're focused on the interviewer and not thinking about dumb things like your clothes. Wear a suit in a professional neutral color that fits you well (still saying a good tailor is more than worth it) and you feel confident in and don't worry about the rest. If you wanna be stylish and add watches and things like that to show your personality, fine (obviously don't wear any gaudy big stuff), but if you've marked off your basics then the specifics like black, gray/charcoal, or navy is not a big deal.

I don't think I ever suggested not to look good/professional or not to do something that makes you feel confident. I just really think people are overthinking it. If it is a personal thing, then do whatever works for you. If the opinion of a random stranger on SDN will give you the confidence to do well, fine. If the only color combination that makes you perform well is a navy suit vs a black suit and a tie with a love note from your high school girlfriend written in silver Sharpie on the back, fine. But people were asking other people what to wear which makes me think it has nothing to do about what feels good to them. And when it comes down to it, I HIGHLY doubt that the admissions committee will favor someone based off of suit color.
Wow! Overreact much?