joker937

UCLA SOD 2021
2+ Year Member
May 25, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm 5'10, and I am opting to wear a pant suit with flats. I can't wear heels because it will make me too tall. I also think a skirt would look weird with flats, so a pant suit will have to do.

Where did other tall applicants buy their pants from? I will have to buy a "tall" version of whatever I purchase, and I was wondering where people had the best success. Thanks!

Meeza

5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2014
Status
Dental Student
Let me tell you, as a 5'2" woman, ALL the pants at Kohls, JC Penny, Macy's and H & M were about 3 to 5 inches too long, so I opted for a fitted ankle trouser to so avoid helming. Ann Taylor accommodates for a variety of heights I believe, too, just a little more expensive.

Reactions: mrsS

hellofuturedentists

2+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Lol I saw this but I don't think anyone would ever consider me "tall" so I didn't respond, but I can try to help.

I think most pants are made for people who are 5'5"-5'7" so I can see why OP is having a problem. I know some stores have petite sizes so those most likely also have tall sizes too. Try Banana Republic, H&M, or somewhere like Macy's. If they don't have stuff in store, they might have it online or be able to order it for you, usually for free. You're not the only tall lady I've seen, so I'm sure tall pants exist. If they're too hard to find though, maybe just go with a skirt and some 1/2" or 1" heels.

Good luck shopping!

Reactions: joker937
F

fogorvostan

I think you should wear heels if you want to! There's no rule that tall girls can't wear heels. If you don't, then there's no reason to worry either :) I saw both worn pretty evenly at my interviews and most women in heels switched into flats for the walking tour anyway.

Can't help much on the pants though. I'm 5'1" and opted for a skirt. I usually have to buy Capri length and they work as actual pants because of how long everything is...... Haha

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
I'm 5'10, and I am opting to wear a pant suit with flats. I can't wear heels because it will make me too tall. I also think a skirt would look weird with flats, so a pant suit will have to do.

Where did other tall applicants buy their pants from? I will have to buy a "tall" version of whatever I purchase, and I was wondering where people had the best success. Thanks!
Nobody has more presence than a tall woman rocking moderate heels. Don't try to minimize yourself by wearing flats and a pantsuit as it suggests a lack of confidence.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm 5'8" and had great luck at macys ! Even had to hem them so they would be perfect on you! They have awesome suit separates that are really sharp

Reactions: joker937

Panis et Circenses

2+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2015
As a 5'10" guy who has absolutely no knowledge or authority to speak on the subject, I personally don't think you should opt out of wearing heels just because you think it will make you look too tall. If you don't want to because you're uncomfortable in them that sounds like a pretty good reason to me, but I think you should rock whatever look you feel like rocking without having to worry about what anyone else thinks. I think tall girls are attractive.

But yeah, that's the extent of my fashion advice, which is terrible to begin with. @hellofuturedentists seems to be the female interviewee fashion authority around here.
Haha.... I'm a 6'6" guy. Wear the heels as much as you want, tall girls!

drcrentistdds

2+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2016
Can I also add that flats with a skirt is totally acceptable?
I'm 5'7 and went suit shopping this weekend...I found Calvin Klein pants to be way too short but the other brands I tried (Kasper, Ann Klein) were all a couple inches long, and had extra long sizes available.

Dec 29, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm a 6'2" girl (woot woot for those inches) and the Limited has fantastic options for pants-pretty cheap, too! Also Ann Taylor and J.Crew. Good luck :)

mroerdh22

2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I'm 5'9! I buy all my pants from The Limited! They are so long, I have to wear heels!