Interview Attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prowd2beloud147

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be doing my first couple of interviews within the next couple of months. Is wearing a women's suit too much? I don't want to seem over dressed!

Members don't see this ad.

Search interview clothing. Should be examples there of what women are wearing. And no, a suit isn't too much. I saw a lot of girls in pant suits.

I will be doing my first couple of interviews within the next couple of months. Is wearing a women's suit too much? I don't want to seem over dressed!

Not sure if I'm understanding your concern correctly, but I will say that you will be underdressed if you don't wear a suit (ie if you wear pants and a top, no suit jacket, etc). Business dresses are fine, however. Skirts must be as a skirt suit.

I don't think it's possible to be overdressed for an interview as a woman.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if I'm understanding your concern correctly, but I will say that you will be underdressed if you don't wear a suit (ie if you wear pants and a top, no suit jacket, etc). Business dresses are fine, however. Skirts must be as a skirt suit.

I completely agree with this post. I think it is imperative to wear a suit, whether it be a pant suit or one with a skirt. Don't overdo the jewelry or make up and you're good. I think you would look out of place if you DIDN'T wear a suit to be honest.

Thanks everyone. I have never interviewed for anything in my life and just wanted to make sure I got all my basics down! :D :)

I have ONE suit that I own. But it looks good and fits well. I have a MD interview in a couple of weeks and need to lose 5 pounds for it to fit.

I remember at a Meharry interview, one girl wore a mini skirt suit no stocking or leggings or anything. It was January and 20 degrees outside. She had no gloves, no scarf, nothing.

Last edited:
I have ONE suit that I own. But it looks good and fits well. I have a MD interview in a couple of weeks and need to lose 5 pounds for it to fit.

I remember at a Meharry interview, one girl wore a mini skirt suit no stocking or leggings or anything. It was January and 20 degrees outside. She had no gloves, no scarf, nothing.

OMG, her application must of been really lacking, so she was probably trying to sell her body instead! GOOD LUCK AT YOUR MD INTERVIEW!!!!

Do you know the answer to this:

If you get accepted to school X and pay the deposit, does that mean you are automatically out of the running for the other schools you are still waiting to here from.

I am interviewing at two out of state schools, but really want to stay near by. I haven't heard from anything in state and feel like I may be put into the situation where I have to take the admissions offer oos so I don't end up not going anywhere. This is such a gamble when it comes to med school admission.

Do you know the answer to this:

If you get accepted to school X and pay the deposit, does that mean you are automatically out of the running for the other schools you are still waiting to here from.

I am interviewing at two out of state schools, but really want to stay near by. I haven't heard from anything in state and feel like I may be put into the situation where I have to take the admissions offer oos so I don't end up not going anywhere. This is such a gamble when it comes to med school admission.

No

Putting the deposit down just means you're saving a spot at that school. It won't affect whether or not you'll get accepted anywhere else, but if you end up choosing to go somewhere else you'll lose the deposit. That's the only real downside (obviously a big one, since deposits are expensive).

To answer the dress code question: In terms of interview attire, the more professionally dressed you look the better. Suits are appropriate. If you wear a suit with a skirt, wear leggings of some kind. Also, I have heard that high heels are often frowned upon. Heels are fine, just keep them shorter (2, maybe 3 inches MAX) and do NOT wear flashy jewelry or makeup. You should look like an authority figure, not someone ready to go out to a social gathering or a bar. If you're in doubt, choose the more conservative option.

Some of those might seem ridiculous, but those were all guidelines given to my master's program by admissions interviewers from 3 different schools. Plus it just depends on who interviews you. Some people won't care much about how you look as long as it's relatively professional, others will definitely judge your appearance. Just depends on who interviews you. Good luck though!

Reactions: 1 user
Does a dress suit look too casual? I think some can look cute, but I wonder if it looks too casual...

Does a dress suit look too casual? I think some can look cute, but I wonder if it looks too casual...

A dress suit should fine as long as it looks professional and is an appropriate length. If you're not going to wear pants make sure it comes down to just above the knee. Mid-thigh is too short. The bottom line for any outfit is that you look like a professional. Just think about how you would want your doctor to dress. If you wouldn't go to a doctor dressed in your outfit, change it. Your attire is only really for first impression purposes. It probably won't make or break you, but it can set the mood for the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm buying a pant suit this weekend from express. It's brown and pretty conservative. I AM EXCITED!!! Not excited about all the money this whole process is costing me, but hopefully it will be worth it in the end!

Has anyone interviewed at a location that is really cold? I want to wear my pant suit and heels except I don't want to be freezing. Any suggestions on how to look professional and still stay warm? Thanks

Has anyone interviewed at a location that is really cold? I want to wear my pant suit and heels except I don't want to be freezing. Any suggestions on how to look professional and still stay warm? Thanks

+1
trying to figure out what shoes to wear with my pantsuit next month in Iowa and Chicago. Obviously cant wear same shoes that I wear here in LA ;)

+1
trying to figure out what shoes to wear with my pantsuit next month in Iowa and Chicago. Obviously cant wear same shoes that I wear here in LA ;)
I spoke with a DO who said to wear boots (dress boots) if you are wearing a pantsuit. Not too much of a heel, and of course in impeccable condition and not that shiny patent leather look.

Dont mean to take over the thread but for guys, is a black suit, white shirt, and black tie good or is that too much black and white lol maybe a red tie would be better?

I spoke with a DO who said to wear boots (dress boots) if you are wearing a pantsuit. Not too much of a heel, and of course in impeccable condition and not that shiny patent leather look.

I'd agree with this one. The most important thing is to look professional, so as long as you've got that covered I think a lot of places are pretty lenient about your attire. And cold places will definitely be more forgiving if you're from somewhere warmer.

Dont mean to take over the thread but for guys, is a black suit, white shirt, and black tie good or is that too much black and white lol maybe a red tie would be better?

That's perfectly fine, in fact I was told black suit, white shirt, and black tie is the way to go if you're unsure because it always looks professional. The tie can be pretty much anything that's somewhat conservative, just make sure it's not too bright (hot pink, haha) and doesn't have designs that are too crazy. I've been told to avoid paisley or other designs. Stick to stripes or something with a consistent pattern. Other than that sounds like you're good to go.

That's perfectly fine, in fact I was told black suit, white shirt, and black tie is the way to go if you're unsure because it always looks professional. The tie can be pretty much anything that's somewhat conservative, just make sure it's not too bright (hot pink, haha) and doesn't have designs that are too crazy. I've been told to avoid paisley or other designs. Stick to stripes or something with a consistent pattern. Other than that sounds like you're good to go.

haha i actually like the color pink :rolleyes: but thank you

Sorry to keep posting, but the one other thing my master's program was told for girls. Do NOT, under any circumstances, wear fingernail polish. I'm not sure why, but all of the admissions people agreed that painted nails was a huge negative.

Sorry to keep posting, but the one other thing my master's program was told for girls. Do NOT, under any circumstances, wear fingernail polish. I'm not sure why, but all of the admissions people agreed that painted nails was a huge negative.

I guess because they dont want people with dirty nails haha this way they can see everyone's nails

I haven't even applied yet, but, in my opinion, don't do a black suit. Black suits are for funerals and CEOs. Navy or charcoal is what you want.

I haven't even applied yet, but, in my opinion, don't do a black suit. Black suits are for funerals and CEOs. Navy or charcoal is what you want.

Grr that is what I was thinking. Not CEO but more funeral. Darn I guess I will have to go out looking for a new suit now. I didnt interview yet either and will not either this cycle

Grr that is what I was thinking. Not CEO but more funeral. Darn I guess I will have to go out looking for a new suit now. I didnt interview yet either and will not either this cycle

I'd say black is fine. If you're worried about looking you're going to a funeral, wear a red or blue or some colored tie that's not overly gaudy. Our master's was specifically told by 2 people on different interview committees that black is a safe choice, and gray/charcoal is typically okay. The third person that spoke to us said always go with black. We was also told not to wear any color blue suit (this includes navy) by those same people. I wouldn't go buy a whole new suit if you have a really nice black or gray/charcoal colored one. Bottom line is just look and act professional and the suit color shouldn't really won't matter that much. Also, I've had 4 interviews during 2 cycles and been accepted once. The only time I was accepted was when I was wearing a black suit with a blue tie (charcoal the other 3 times). Not saying the suit was the reason, but black obviously didn't hurt me.

A darker charcoal suit with a white shirt and dark blue striped tie worked absolute wonders for me on my interviews.
I was told to avoid black (for the funeral reasoning) but that's still a better choice than any other color besides charcoal.

I'd say black is fine. If you're worried about looking you're going to a funeral, wear a red or blue or some colored tie that's not overly gaudy. Our master's was specifically told by 2 people on different interview committees that black is a safe choice, and gray/charcoal is typically okay. The third person that spoke to us said always go with black. We was also told not to wear any color blue suit (this includes navy) by those same people. I wouldn't go buy a whole new suit if you have a really nice black or gray/charcoal colored one. Bottom line is just look and act professional and the suit color shouldn't really won't matter that much. Also, I've had 4 interviews during 2 cycles and been accepted once. The only time I was accepted was when I was wearing a black suit with a blue tie (charcoal the other 3 times). Not saying the suit was the reason, but black obviously didn't hurt me.

Thanks for your response. I am trying to prepare for the up coming cycle that is why I am asking so many questions. Since I am skinny 6'1" 130 I get my suits custom made. I have a really nice solid black. Since charcoal seems to be the consensus on sdn I might end up getting one. BUT then it makes me think, if charcoal is the consenus everyone might be wearing a charcoal suit haha everyone there will look like they are wearing a uniform. aside form different ties and shirt colors hah i might end up going with black
A darker charcoal suit with a white shirt and dark blue striped tie worked absolute wonders for me on my interviews.
I was told to avoid black (for the funeral reasoning) but that's still a better choice than any other color besides charcoal.

When you interviewed how many people were wearing charcoal suits? or black suits? i dont really like navy so i'm not even considering that

Terrible advice. Wearing a black suit is a smart choice and what almost everyone does. I wore a black suit (had very narrow dark gray pinstripes) and got accepted everywhere I interviewed. IMO the important part about the interview attire is not standing out. The attire you choose will NOT get you accepted, but it could leave a negative impression. You don't want the admission committee to refer to you as the guy who wore a blue suit with a pink tie with an orange dress shirt. Let your stats get you in, dress like a chameleon.

Thanks for your response. I am trying to prepare for the up coming cycle that is why I am asking so many questions. Since I am skinny 6'1" 130 I get my suits custom made. I have a really nice solid black. Since charcoal seems to be the consensus on sdn I might end up getting one. BUT then it makes me think, if charcoal is the consenus everyone might be wearing a charcoal suit haha everyone there will look like they are wearing a uniform. aside form different ties and shirt colors hah i might end up going with black

When you interviewed how many people were wearing charcoal suits? or black suits? i dont really like navy so i'm not even considering that

Wear your solid black suit. Save your money, it's not going to make a difference either way. Your stats will get you in or keep you out.

I wore a charcoal suit with a light-ish blue shirt and light-ish yellow tie. Personally I think it's a nice combo that looks great and professional but sets you apart from the sea of black/charcoal suits with white shirts without being obnoxious. I've had interviewers tell me they loved my suit which definitely boosted my confidence during those interviews. I don't think a great suit will get you into a school but a bad suit can keep you out, that's why so many people understandably play it safe.

Terrible advice. Wearing a black suit is a smart choice and what almost everyone does. I wore a black suit (had very narrow dark gray pinstripes) and got accepted everywhere I interviewed.

I don't think anyone should argue a black suit will objectively decrease your chances of acceptance, but it is a fashion faux pas and poor style. Medicine, in general, has awful style and things like this will go unnoticed. Male fashion missteps like this wont likely be noticed in the medical world but would be totally unacceptable on Wall Street, for example.

Wear whatever suit, belt, socks, watch combo you want, as long as it's professional. Just because a bunch of nerdy pre-meds at a med school interview ran by a bunch of academics are wearing something doesn't change the fact that it would be considered poor taste in a strict fashion sense.

Just remember, there are actually male physicians out there than wear danskos.

Reactions: 1 users
Express is running 50% off everything in store from now till Friday for those of you who still need to buy a suit. Probably the best suit you can get for $200, go for it!

I don't think a great suit will get you into a school but a bad suit can keep you out, that's why so many people understandably play it safe.

This is the bottom line. You aren't going to stand out for being the guy who looks better than everyone else, no matter what an interviewer says. Like others have said, you're suit won't get you in, your stats and personality will. You can definitely stand out negatively though. A darker gray/charcoal suit or black suit are both professional, safe choices. So if you've got a black custom-fit suit, go with that. I wore a solid black suit and also got complimented on it, but I know that's not what got me in.

hu11g.jpg

It's definitely possible. Too much makeup and jewelry can be a huge negative to some interviewers.

Thank you for the feed back! I just didn't want to be searching around once the cycle hits. I like to be prepared :thumbup:

Sorry for bumping here but I'm in need of some last minute feedback on my interview outfits. I have back-to-back interviews this Thursday and Friday. I apologize if I overlooked any posts with answers to my particular questions.

1. I plan to wear a black pantsuit from Express to one interview. From what I've read, wearing a plain shell underneath a blazer is acceptable, but does this apply to silk and chiffon fabrics only? Or would this V-neck sweater in heather mist work, too? http://factory.jcrew.com/womens-clothing/sweaters/vnecks/PRDOVR~32714/32714.jsp

2. I recall reading a post saying it's appropriate to mix black/gray separates. I don't want to wear the exact same outfit Thursday and Friday (I'm weird like that) so would it be fine to wear my black pants w/ a charcoal blazer from Express and a black merino wool crewneck sweater underneath?

3. Should I ditch my medium-size, gold Michael Kors watch? I wear it all day, everyday and would consider it conservative in most settings including work, but would it be too flashy for interviews?

4. Considering the snowpocalypse, I decided it's in my best interest to stick with flats even though I'm only 5'3 and very thin, so will most likely look like a 12-year-old. Oh well! Since my pants are bootcut style, they don't cover the entire tops of my feet with flats on. Should I wear black nylons under my pants in order to cover up the small portion of the tops of my feet that would otherwise be exposed?

Over-thinking is my full-time job so my questions might seem ridiculous, but I just don't want to wear anything that could "break" me by giving off a negative impression. I really appreciate your help and feedback, in advance! :)

I say flats are good!! I didn't wear heals and didn't see any females with them either. Also, stick with the express black pant suit! I love express suits. And no, I do not believe it is ok to mix black and grey suit separates. They clash.