Men's Interview Attire (Osteopathic Edition)!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpaceHamsterBoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's start the discussion off strong.
Should I wear 1 or 2?
1. Blue blazer with tan/grey/navy/forest green chinos
2. Blue/Charcoal suit

Members don't see this ad.

image.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
I chose 2, as I saw many interviewers used this. For me, I stick with light grey...

Members don't see this ad :)
So I skimmed through the Men's Attire Interview thread (not sure of the exact name) and the general consensus seemed to be full matching suit, no pocket squares, and no tie clips. I never found out why though (more specifically about the pocket squares and tie clips.) Anybody know why this is?

So I skimmed through the Men's Attire Interview thread (not sure of the exact name) and the general consensus seemed to be full matching suit, no pocket squares, and no tie clips. I never found out why though (more specifically about the pocket squares and tie clips.) Anybody know why this is?
You just want to look professional and not flashy. A modest clip or pocket square won't hurt anything, just nothing to draw attention. The idea is to look mature and ready to be a doctor. A suit is the safest bet. Most recommend dark (charcoal, navy, dark grey). Some say black is out because it's too formal. Personally, I don't like the way I look in dark suits. I'm going with a lighter grey suit. Just wear something that looks professional and, most of all, makes you feel good and confident. Go in there, be professional, and show them you mean business. The fine details of your attire will not make or break you.

Reactions: 1 user
If I get an acceptance early in the cycle, I'm going to be really tempted to try out the suit that Lloyd is wearing on a later interview.

Does there need to be an osteopathic edition of this thread?

It's sad that at this point, I'm actually worried about an MD vs DO clothing thread.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
I've always considered pocket squares and tie clips more formal wear than professional wear. I think that's what it boils down to.

Reactions: 1 users
MD interview attire is clearly superior.

DO interview attire, on the other hand, holistically considers the entire outfit, not just the suit.

I recommend adding a vest, top hat, monocle, and pocket watch to overcome our inferiority.

Reactions: 3 users
So I must have missed something, but what's wrong with a black suit? I was a business major so I might be biased towards them, but I was planning on black suit, white shirt.

I recommend adding a vest, top hat, monocle, and pocket watch to overcome our inferiority.

I strongly suggest elevated dress shoes as well!

Gotta stand tall over our MD counterparts.

MD interview attire is clearly superior.

DO interview attire, on the other hand, holistically considers the entire outfit, not just the suit.

Simple fact of the matter, most of the high end stores won't consider a DO applicant. Therefore, most DOs have to get their suits from low tier discount wholesale stores. But the problem runs even deeper than that! Literally 100% of MDs knew how to tie a tie before the age of three and had on average 5+ research publications on formal wear prior to applying. Most DOs watch a YouTube video on how to tie a tie the morning of their interview. They just can't compete.

I did see one guy at an interview wearing a satin cravat from a name brand store though so it looks like the glass ceiling is breaking!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I must have missed something, but what's wrong with a black suit? I was a business major so I might be biased towards them, but I was planning on black suit, white shirt.

Generally considered too formal, black suits are for funerals. And they're ugly to be honest.

It's simple, go with a medium-dark Navy blue suit, brown belt and shoes (Light brown is fashionable, but maybe meet somewhere in the middle to keep it more conservative). Light blue shirt without design or a very conservative, tiny design. Conservative tie. Done.

Black suits aren't really considered appropriate for daytime wear, in any profession. They should really only be worn for more formal occasions such as funerals and weddings.

Hmm, well my only other suit is a tan summer-suit and I feel like a blazer would be too informal.

I swear spacehamsterboo is an expertly subtle troll.

Reactions: 1 users
Completely pointless to have a different thread

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a tie bar/clip, just don't let it be all diamond encrusted or have spiderman on it or something. Simple, non-flashy, etc. Pocket squares are pointless for the interview and might be a little much.

Also, everyone doesn't have to have the same navy blue suit. I swear, just wear something simple that fits you well and looks good.

I rocked a pocket square at my interviews and looked fly AF.

I rocked a pocket square at my interviews and looked fly AF.

That's fine then. Honestly, I never understood the emphasis on conformity at interviews. As long as you aren't wearing something inappropriate or too loud, its fine. In fact, people might remember you a little better if you didn't look like the 5 other guys they just interviewed.

EDIT: Strongly considering rocking this look for residency interviews

Full-Beard.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
That's fine then. Honestly, I never understood the emphasis on conformity at interviews. As long as you aren't wearing something inappropriate or too loud, its fine. In fact, people might remember you a little better if you didn't look like the 5 other guys they just interviewed.

Full-Beard.jpg
Tie underneath tho?

Would look sick.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

What is the general consensus about Men with long (-ish) hair? As long as it is well groomed, is it acceptable? My hair is about this length (although, not as elegant.......yet ;) )
u6ZR7OS.jpg

Full-Beard.jpg

Reminds me of a young Uncle Phil from the Fresh Prince. LOL.