Should I wear 1 or 2?
1. Blue blazer with tan/grey/navy/forest green chinos
2. Blue/Charcoal suit

lnguyen1412

2+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I chose 2, as I saw many interviewers used this. For me, I stick with light grey...

NecrotizingFasciitis

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Medical Student
So I skimmed through the Men's Attire Interview thread (not sure of the exact name) and the general consensus seemed to be full matching suit, no pocket squares, and no tie clips. I never found out why though (more specifically about the pocket squares and tie clips.) Anybody know why this is?

Aug 21, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
So I skimmed through the Men's Attire Interview thread (not sure of the exact name) and the general consensus seemed to be full matching suit, no pocket squares, and no tie clips. I never found out why though (more specifically about the pocket squares and tie clips.) Anybody know why this is?
You just want to look professional and not flashy. A modest clip or pocket square won't hurt anything, just nothing to draw attention. The idea is to look mature and ready to be a doctor. A suit is the safest bet. Most recommend dark (charcoal, navy, dark grey). Some say black is out because it's too formal. Personally, I don't like the way I look in dark suits. I'm going with a lighter grey suit. Just wear something that looks professional and, most of all, makes you feel good and confident. Go in there, be professional, and show them you mean business. The fine details of your attire will not make or break you.

Reactions: NecrotizingFascitis
Aug 21, 2016
Status
If I get an acceptance early in the cycle, I'm going to be really tempted to try out the suit that Lloyd is wearing on a later interview.

samac

2+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I've always considered pocket squares and tie clips more formal wear than professional wear. I think that's what it boils down to.

Ateleryx

2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2016
Status
So I must have missed something, but what's wrong with a black suit? I was a business major so I might be biased towards them, but I was planning on black suit, white shirt.

OP
SpaceHamsterBoo

SpaceHamsterBoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Jan 21, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I recommend adding a vest, top hat, monocle, and pocket watch to overcome our inferiority.
I strongly suggest elevated dress shoes as well!

Gotta stand tall over our MD counterparts.

Ho0v-man

2+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2014
Status
Medical Student
MD interview attire is clearly superior.

DO interview attire, on the other hand, holistically considers the entire outfit, not just the suit.
Simple fact of the matter, most of the high end stores won't consider a DO applicant. Therefore, most DOs have to get their suits from low tier discount wholesale stores. But the problem runs even deeper than that! Literally 100% of MDs knew how to tie a tie before the age of three and had on average 5+ research publications on formal wear prior to applying. Most DOs watch a YouTube video on how to tie a tie the morning of their interview. They just can't compete.

I did see one guy at an interview wearing a satin cravat from a name brand store though so it looks like the glass ceiling is breaking!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Rekt

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So I must have missed something, but what's wrong with a black suit? I was a business major so I might be biased towards them, but I was planning on black suit, white shirt.
Generally considered too formal, black suits are for funerals. And they're ugly to be honest.

It's simple, go with a medium-dark Navy blue suit, brown belt and shoes (Light brown is fashionable, but maybe meet somewhere in the middle to keep it more conservative). Light blue shirt without design or a very conservative, tiny design. Conservative tie. Done.

GatorsKW14

5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Black suits aren't really considered appropriate for daytime wear, in any profession. They should really only be worn for more formal occasions such as funerals and weddings.

Reactions: SouthernSurgeon

Ateleryx

2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2016
Status
Hmm, well my only other suit is a tan summer-suit and I feel like a blazer would be too informal.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Don't forget spats!
I recommend adding a vest, top hat, monocle, and pocket watch to overcome our inferiority.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Completely pointless to have a different thread

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a tie bar/clip, just don't let it be all diamond encrusted or have spiderman on it or something. Simple, non-flashy, etc. Pocket squares are pointless for the interview and might be a little much.

Also, everyone doesn't have to have the same navy blue suit. I swear, just wear something simple that fits you well and looks good.

Ho0v-man

2+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I rocked a pocket square at my interviews and looked fly AF.

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I rocked a pocket square at my interviews and looked fly AF.

That's fine then. Honestly, I never understood the emphasis on conformity at interviews. As long as you aren't wearing something inappropriate or too loud, its fine. In fact, people might remember you a little better if you didn't look like the 5 other guys they just interviewed.

EDIT: Strongly considering rocking this look for residency interviews

FCMike11

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2011
Texas
Status
Medical Student
That's fine then. Honestly, I never understood the emphasis on conformity at interviews. As long as you aren't wearing something inappropriate or too loud, its fine. In fact, people might remember you a little better if you didn't look like the 5 other guys they just interviewed.

Tie underneath tho?

Would look sick.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: hallowmann

kovalchuk71

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2009
What is the general consensus about Men with long (-ish) hair? As long as it is well groomed, is it acceptable? My hair is about this length (although, not as elegant.......yet ;) )

Reminds me of a young Uncle Phil from the Fresh Prince. LOL.

Reactions: Scrubs101