Interview Attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skiflutept

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview coming up in three weeks and I wanted to know what I should wear. I'm definitely wearing black dress pants, a black jacket, and flats. Should the shirt that I wear underneath the jacket be a button-down shirt or just a nice shirt?

Members don't see this ad.

For me personally, I would wear a button-down shirt and tie. I also have an interview coming up in two weeks and was wondering if anyone knows if we have to bring anything to an interview? Do we have to a have a binder of our resume, transcripts, etc?

For me personally, I would wear a button-down shirt and tie. I also have an interview coming up in two weeks and was wondering if anyone knows if we have to bring anything to an interview? Do we have to a have a binder of our resume, transcripts, etc?
I have an interview tomorrow and I am bringing a padfolio with a few copies of my resume. I also found out about two of the professors who will be conducting the interviews so I have their information page printed so I have some talking points. Some points for dressing I have seen in this thread and elsewhere:
For men: Wear a suit and tie. Suits should ideally be dark blue or gray, black is considered too formal and anything lighter than blue and gray is probably too informal. No crazy ties. Make sure everything is clean and crisp. Shoes shined. Shoes and Belt should match. Facial hair kept at minimum/well groomed.

For women: Pant Suit or Skirt suit with professional looking blouse or button up blouse. No low cut blouses obviously. Makeup should be minimal.

Also, no perfume or cologne. Not everyone loves what you like to spritz on and it can be pretty obnoxious for others.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview tomorrow and I am bringing a padfolio with a few copies of my resume. I also found out about two of the professors who will be conducting the interviews so I have their information page printed so I have some talking points. Some points for dressing I have seen in this thread and elsewhere:
For men: Wear a suit and tie. Suits should ideally be dark blue or gray, black is considered too formal and anything lighter than blue and gray is probably too informal. No crazy ties. Make sure everything is clean and crisp. Shoes shined. Shoes and Belt should match. Facial hair kept at minimum/well groomed.

For women: Pant Suit or Skirt suit with professional looking blouse or button up blouse. No low cut blouses obviously. Makeup should be minimal.

Also, no perfume or cologne. Not everyone loves what you like to spritz on and it can be pretty obnoxious for others.
How did you find out who is conducting the interview? Did you just call the department and asked who usually conducts the interviews? Good luck on your interview!!

I just brought a pen and notebook. I don't think anyone asked for a resume or copies of essays. They did have notes written down about me, so they knew in what specialties I observed in and what my GRE scores were.

I don't think it's too important to print out info about the professors. It can definitely help if you know that info beforehand though. I looked at the faculty profiles a few times before I went into the interview, and happened to remember that my interviewer taught Pediatrics and was involved with Clinical Education, so we ended up talking about peds because I'm interested in that, and I asked about clinicals.

If you don't know anything about the interviewer that's totally fine! During both interviews, they introduced themselves so I knew some information about them. You can also ask about the interviewer and then ask questions based on what they tell you. It's not too hard to come up with questions. Just have a basic idea of what types of questions you'd like to ask just in case you can't come up with anything on the spot, or find something interesting about the program that you'd like to ask for more information about. They're also trying to sell you on their program too, just as much as they're trying to learn about you and if you're a good fit.

How did you find out who is conducting the interview? Did you just call the department and asked who usually conducts the interviews? Good luck on your interview!!
Yes, I emailed the school and asked them. They told me the names of two of the professors who would be conducting the one-on-one interviews. I brought a padfolio to take notes, because the school I interviewed at had a presentation.

I'm a bit surprised that kids these days do not know how to prepare for an interview. If you interviewed at Sears, what would you wear and bring? Now think about it for a second. You're interviewing for what would potentially make you a doctor. Now what do you think you should bring and wear?

You're interviewing for what would potentially make you a doctor. Now what do you think you should bring and wear?
I mean, the answer is probably "a suit". But see below!

Suits should ideally be dark blue or gray, black is considered too formal and anything lighter than blue and gray is probably too informal.
I don't think this is common knowledge.

I mean, the answer is probably "a suit". But see below!
I don't think this is common knowledge.

No, this is common knowledge. However, I'll add that I did an interview with a V neck sweater in place of a suit jacket (still had a tie and white button up shirt). My interview was on the opposite coast and I did not trust myself to keep a jacket presentable until the interview.

I thought a black suit would be go-to interview attire. How can a black suit give a negative impression?

I thought a black suit would be go-to interview attire. How can a black suit give a negative impression?

Black is fine. I interviewed at my top school wearing black pants with a black V neck sweater and a 'power' tie. I was offered early acceptance.

Well, the post above specified that black is not recommended. This is what I meant by "common knowledge". Also, knowledge comes from experience, observation, and asking advice. If I've never had an interview, or if all interviews I've had have been business casual or casual, I'm not going to know right away what to wear and what not to wear - hence asking advice.

Well, the post above specified that black is not recommended. This is what I meant by "common knowledge". Also, knowledge comes from experience, observation, and asking advice. If I've never had an interview, or if all interviews I've had have been business casual or casual, I'm not going to know right away what to wear and what not to wear - hence asking advice.

I didn't see his comments regarding black, so I do apologize. I was referring to the suit being common knowledge, not the color. Regarding your lack of experience - I put this on your parent/guardian. You should have been taught. Not all knowledge comes from experience. Currently you have no PT experience, but you have some novel knowledge in the field. I can appreciate your inquiry, but your answers should have been learned in your early high school years. If you want a one size fits all answer you can do this: Look at your target field and see what is worn on a daily basis, then dress up at least one level. We work in business casual, so you would dress up to business.

Hi everyone. As far as black suits, it is advice I saw on this forum and elsewhere, but I think it's starting to have the same weight as "don't wear white after labor day", some hold on to it and some say it doesn't matter. Here is the thread that had helped me with reaching this conclusion from this forum. Also, if all you have is a black suit, I don't think that the advice was meant to give the impression you absolutely cannot wear it.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/interview-attire.1109579/

I think ultimately the thing to keep in mind is that this process in its entirety is an investment, and investing means spending money and looking your best. Everyone has different budgets of what they can afford. But there are still certain parameters that should be met, such as being clean and keeping clothes crisp and unwrinkled, grooming, etc. The thread link I posted references some faux pas that are interesting reads, if nothing else. Also I don't think you will be offered a spot based on attire. However, it is about an overall impression and there's a lot to be said for the boost of confidence when you feel you look your best.

Look at your target field and see what is worn on a daily basis, then dress up at least one level. We work in business casual, so you would dress up to business.
This is good advice, thanks!

This may be a stupid question, but would you dress up for a counseling meeting? One of the schools that I applied to don't conduct interviews so I scheduled a meeting with a graduate admissions counselor to go over my application and do a campus tour.

I also failed to mention in the original post that I'm a female. Black suit still ok?

I also failed to mention in the original post that I'm a female. Black suit still ok?

I wore a black suit to both my interviews, and had no issues. A lot of others wore black, or gray, or navy, and females wore pants and skirts, and flats and heels. Just look professional, that's all.