Interview Attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Allerian1004

Practicing Vampire
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why is a pantsuit considered a little daring for a female interviewer? I have a black calvin klein pant suit (also has a pencil skirt too) and a light blue collared button up shirt that goes underneath. Is this still appropiate? Also, what would you guys recommend as far as a purse goes?
 
Allerian1004 said:
Why is a pantsuit considered a little daring for a female interviewer? I have a black calvin klein pant suit (also has a pencil skirt too) and a light blue collared button up shirt that goes underneath. Is this still appropiate? Also, what would you guys recommend as far as a purse goes?

I don't really understand this either. I mean, the logic behind it is, the medical profession is a conservative one, and in Conservative Land, girls belong in skirts and boys belong in pants. But, I figure, being a female doctor isn't a very conservative thing, in and of itself... and we see that happen all the time now. So, why should the fact that I'm not wearing a skirt trump the fact that I'm entering a traditionally male-dominated profession in the first place? Doesn't make sense... so I'm wearing pants, because they're comfortable.

As far as purse, I'm taking a black bag that'll hold my purse-things plus a folder for a notepad, etc. 👍
 
CavalierMD said:
I don't really understand this either. I mean, the logic behind it is, the medical profession is a conservative one, and in Conservative Land, girls belong in skirts and boys belong in pants. But, I figure, being a female doctor isn't a very conservative thing, in and of itself... and we see that happen all the time now. So, why should the fact that I'm not wearing a skirt trump the fact that I'm entering a traditionally male-dominated profession in the first place? Doesn't make sense... so I'm wearing pants, because they're comfortable.

As far as purse, I'm taking a black bag that'll hold my purse-things plus a folder for a notepad, etc. 👍

Its only daring if the interviewer is stuck in the 1950's. I am wearing a pant suit, and I would be utterly insulted if that bothered anyone. 😡
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad