interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goschairma

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is my first time being invited to an interview and I have no idea what is appropriate attire for an interview. any help is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Here is a link to a thread that has a link to ANOTHER thread in it as well! See if you get a good idea from those. I wore a tan suit with a nice red shirt underneath, nice brown shoes and hose, and just pulled my hair back from my face. Nothing too fancy. A suit skirt would be fine too, I just hate skirts (and it was February).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=566015&highlight=interview+attire+veterinary

P.S. I bought my suit at Ann Taylor Loft... $$$ but it fit me really well. I'm very, very small so a size 4 at JCPenny's wasn't going to cut it. Like I mentioned before, my main concern now is the expansion of my backside in between last February and interviews 2009-2010... and tomorrow won't be helping that cause. Haha.

Last edited:
P.S. I bought my suit at Ann Taylor Loft... $$$ but it fit me really well. I'm very, very small so a size 4 at JCPenny's wasn't going to cut it.

I do want to add that it's not absolutely necessary to spend a lot of money to find a good suit. twelvetigers had the size issue, but if you have time, you should shop around. I ended up getting my suit from Syms for $60 or so, and it looked better than the ones that were $150 at Macy's or JC Penney's. There will be a difference in how a really cheap and really expensive suit looks, but all they really want to see is if you know how to look professional.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm just here to second what moonpaw said. i got a really nice calvin klein suit at a discount store (marshall's/tj maxx type, but i can't remember the name) on clearance for $40. it fit me better and looked more professional than some of the other $150+ suits i tried on. the shirt i wore underneath it i found at banana republic on after christmas clearance for $7. i polished up some shoes i had from wearing a suit for mock trial in high school and i was good to go. all that to say that it doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg to look decent for your interview.

Most of what I've read suggest your attire should be business professional. Skirt or pant suit in a neutral color. (Sorry Hillary Clinton followers) Blue, gray, tan, brown are suggested for women, but as long as its flattering to your skin tone and not hot pink, there may be some others that would suitable. The suit should fit you WELL, especially the length (pant hem) and the jacket shoulder and arm length. So, as others have said you can find a good one that doesnt break you wallet. But if you find a good bargin that needs some minor alterations to be GREAT then go for it. I bought a suit I really like but it needed hemmed and the waist altered and I got that done under $30.But now I absolutely love how it fits me which totally boost your confidence. Your shoes should be professional but understated and you should be comfortable walking in them. This is not the time for those 4" stilletos. Hair and makeup should be subdued. UpDos are not recommended. Limited jewelry, no big hoop earrings, nose rings or browrings :eek:. I read somewhere if you tend to fidget with your jewelry or rings when you get nervous then forgo them.
I googled alot of this stuff. Think of interviewing for VS as similar to interviewing for any professional job and alot of the information/advice found on the web is applicable. Hope this helps.

If i don't find anything better, I'm probably going to wear my dogshow clothes. I wear an awesome pantsuit to dog shows - actually two seperate but matching pieces. As long as i can get it as clean as possible (ahem. no dog hair.) I'll probably wear that. Its not fancy/expensive/brand name but it happens to look very flattering on me. I'm not applying until next year, but this is how I'm imagining it at least.

I figure as long as you look neat and fairly formal, it works.

I'd also suggest having a back up outfit in case of stains. To my interview, I brought my suit (a black pants suit with a small blue pinstripe) and a sweater shell in the same color blue. Just in case I got something on the suit, I brought the cardigan sweater that went with the shell and a plain pair of black pants. That was I was covered if I got stained at breakfast or lunch. I figured I'd rather show up not in a suit than in a suit with a horrendous stain.

As for the rest of the outfit, I wore nice ankle boots because most of my interviews were in the winter. For jewelry, I wore small studs in my ears and a ring that matched my outfit. That's all. I also wore very understated make-up--no heavy eyeliner or shadow, no bright or dark lipstick.

I'd also suggest having a back up outfit in case of stains.

By "stains," would you also happen to be including your host's cat peeing on your shirt? :laugh: I wonder who that guy was...

Your shoes should be professional but understated and you should be comfortable walking in them. This is not the time for those 4" stilletos.

This is SUCH GOOD ADVICE. All caps because this is SO IMPORTANT. (Ok, done being obnoxious now. :D)

Ladies, you will be going on tours of the schools. Walking tours. They won't be short (most likely). You'll be walking/standing for at least 30 minutes, maybe an hour at a time. You will want to be paying attention to the tour guide/student, asking questions, trying to see whether you could picture yourself at this school, and probably trying to make a good impression. I cannot tell you how many girls I saw at interviews in crazy tall spike heels that could not have been comfortable. Do yourself a favor and just wear a nice shoe with a small heel (1-2" is more than sufficient). If you have a chunky heel, you'll love yourself even more. Much easier to balance on. The ankle boots pressmom mentions are great. Look fine with the chunky heel, perfect for winter (esp in the midwest and northeast!), and it's great.

Oh, one more quick bit of advice. Anything you would wear out to a club/bar is probably not going to cut at an interview. No tube tops, not even under a suit jacket (I saw one at an interview last year, no joke). No sparkly/sequined shirts, etc.

Ok, that's all. Off soap box now. :)

Lol! A tube top?? You've gotta be kidding me...

I heard about a girl that wore a sweater with little dogs on it... with bows... probably not a good choice either. Not the best way to display your "love for animals." :)

No sparkly/sequined shirts, etc.

Ok, that's all. Off soap box now. :)

Ah, about that. The shirt that I'm wearing underneath my suit top is black with white patterning. It's not sequined, but I thought it would be better to wear than just a plain white shirt. I didn't want it too be too boring or too flashy but I think it's a modest pattern. That would be alright though, right? I can attach a pic of it if you want to see. :)

Ah, about that. The shirt that I'm wearing underneath my suit top is black with white patterning. It's not sequined, but I thought it would be better to wear than just a plain white shirt. I didn't want it too be too boring or too flashy but I think it's a modest pattern. That would be alright though, right? I can attach a pic of it if you want to see. :)

Lol. If you want to attach a pic, go for it. But I'm sure it's fine. Your outfit don't have to be boring/wall flowerish, just professional/appropriate.

By "stains," would you also happen to be including your host's cat peeing on your shirt? :laugh: I wonder who that guy was...

I remember that! Is that guy in your class?

Members don't see this ad :)
There was a girl at one my interviews last year wearing a top that looked a lot like a camisole or other lingerie under her suit. And it showed A LOT of cleavage. Don't do that!

any advice on facial piercings? i have a small stud monroe. i took it out once for about 45 mins for dental x-rays and had a heck of a time getting it back in. i could get a plastic retainer but it may be no less obvious. not sure what to do...

any advice on facial piercings? i have a small stud monroe. i took it out once for about 45 mins for dental x-rays and had a heck of a time getting it back in. i could get a plastic retainer but it may be no less obvious. not sure what to do...

As somebody who's face is umm... full of holes, I would take it out. I know a monroe with a small gem is unoffensive and usually not a problem, but I don't think its worth the risk of leaving it in, and having an interviewer react negatively to it.

Glasswear Studios has some nice retainers, but I wouldn't bother with a retainer - it will still show.

Your best bet would be to make an appointment with a studio close to the school after your interview, and if they have to, they can use a taper to reinsert your jewelry - the chances of it closing all the way if its been healed for awhile are pretty slim to none.

What does everyone do with coats? I know for Ohio they said we would be touring first and then interviewing. I know I will need my coat for the tour, so am I just going to have to drape my coat over my arm the rest of the day? Should I hang it on the back of my chair during the interview or keep it in my lap??

Also, somebody said no up-do's.... I think I look much more professional when my hair is up than when it is down. I was planning on twisting it up into one of those big butterfly clips (black). My hair is curly and when it's in a pony tail it's just big and distracting, I usually do this for job interviews. Thoughts?

Finally, I think I'd look better in a blouse under my suit than a sweater, but my family/friends disagree and think I should go with a classy sweater. What are everyone's opinions about that? I'm sure either would be fine, but it seems more people are going the sweater route?

I think having your hair up is fine as long as the style isn't "prommy."

A sweater under a suit? Why? I chose a blouse because I... well, I never even considered a sweater. What sort of sweater? Would that get warm?

I think having your hair up is fine as long as the style isn't "prommy."

A sweater under a suit? Why? I chose a blouse because I... well, I never even considered a sweater. What sort of sweater? Would that get warm?

I agree. A bun or ponytail that is not messy will work just fine. It's definitely dress business. No elaborate braids or strange swirls or weave patterns, though. They'll just distract from your face.

What does everyone do with coats? I know for Ohio they said we would be touring first and then interviewing. I know I will need my coat for the tour, so am I just going to have to drape my coat over my arm the rest of the day? Should I hang it on the back of my chair during the interview or keep it in my lap??

Also, somebody said no up-do's.... I think I look much more professional when my hair is up than when it is down. I was planning on twisting it up into one of those big butterfly clips (black). My hair is curly and when it's in a pony tail it's just big and distracting, I usually do this for job interviews. Thoughts?

Finally, I think I'd look better in a blouse under my suit than a sweater, but my family/friends disagree and think I should go with a classy sweater. What are everyone's opinions about that? I'm sure either would be fine, but it seems more people are going the sweater route?

I know many people say to wear a suit but I just thought I would mention that you don't have to wear a suit. Dress pants and a nice sweater/top are fine too. You want to wear something you will be comfortable in and look professional. Most schools will have places you can leave your coats while you interview.

Lol. If you want to attach a pic, go for it. But I'm sure it's fine. Your outfit don't have to be boring/wall flowerish, just professional/appropriate.
Nah, I'm good now. I'm gonna wear it because it is appropriate enough. ;) Thanks!

Thanks all! I bought a light sweater-top to go under my suit and I think it will work great.

Probably depends on the school/interviewer. Our Dean of Admissions made a comment about why would she want someone to change who they are for the interview? She also though toured as a rock singer before vet school. Though I'm sure some older interviewers may not like the piercing.

what do you guys think about wearing engagement rings?

On one hand, it may indicate maturity... After all, I am a non-trad.
However, many of my pre-allo (premed) friends have told me not to wear my engagement ring to an interview because it may be be interpreited as an indicator of a lack of committment to medicine (esp. being female..... wedding planning, kids, etc). RIDICULOUS, and archaic, I know. :annoyed: However, I don't want to give room for any misconceptions, no matter how misinformed they are.

Opinions?

If anyone else out there is having the same issues I did finding a suit (Tall (5'10), not stick-thin, with the 'athletic' thigh build (read: thighs are about 2 sizes bigger than waist)) - just wanted to pass on that I found a GREAT suit that fit perfectly right off the rack at New York and Company. They were having a big sale, too - lots of stuff at 50% off.

KittyRex - I'm in the exact same boat. I decided not to wear mine, just because I don't want to take ANY chances. Ridiculous and archaic, yes - but not worth taking chances, unfortuntately. Mine's not huge and blingey but I still feel funny wearing noticeable diamonds to an inverview. (Although I feel funny wearing diamonds any of the time!) Also, not being engaged/married doesnt seem to hurt all the traditional students who apply.

On another topic, I have a nice Ann Taylor standard button down shirt that my sister used for medschool interviews. I was planning to wear it, but it's a rich fuschia-pink color (not hot pink!). This is gonna sound lame, but I'm not sure I should wear any kind of pink - I don't want to appear too "girly." Is that crazy?

kitty rex, i would say no, as ridiculous as it sounds. i am not engaged, but i still had a little bit of an experience with this at one of my interviews last year. i went to a small, conservative school for undergrad known for their "ring by spring" tendencies. one of my interviewers went on and on and on (even after i told her i had no sprospects for engagement in the near future) about how marriages in vet school never last and it's stupid to come into vet schol engaged, blah blah blah. it was pretty random (i have a feeling she was bitter or something), but i definitely wouldn't have wanted to fuel her fire by having a ring on my finger.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
I have decided not to wear it. I'm not the kind of person who needs a ring, in the first place, to prove anything.
So, why take the chance?

PupsforSeeing - how infuriating! I hope that woman didn't let her personal baggage affect their admission decision.

I'm shocked that people are considering not wearing their engagement ring to an interview. Being engaged is not going to change your chances of admission.

I'm shocked that people are considering not wearing their engagement ring to an interview. Being engaged is not going to change your chances of admission.

Interviews are inherently subjective processes- the interviewers preconceptions will affect their impression of a candidate. I think not wearing an engagement ring is comparable to not wearing a facial piercing or not exposing a tatoo, in that these attributes might lead others to make uninformed assumptions about us.

I'm so confused.

Since when does being married/ engaged carry the same implications as a tattoo or a facial piercing?

I'm married, and I wear my rings all the time, so I'll be wearing them for the interview as well. I find it disturbing that anyone would assume that my committment to another person would somehow detract from my committment to veterinary medicine.

I have to wonder if these same assumptions are made about men who wear a wedding band.

I'm so confused.

Since when does being married/ engaged carry the same implications as a tattoo or a facial piercing?

I'm married, and I wear my rings all the time, so I'll be wearing them for the interview as well. I find it disturbing that anyone would assume that my committment to another person would somehow detract from my committment to veterinary medicine.

I have to wonder if these same assumptions are made about men who wear a wedding band.

I'm pretty sure that people are just reading into the process way too much. Your interviewer is not going to not let you in because you are engaged/married! That is absolutely ridiculous.

A piercing is somewhat different - as some people do find facial piercings somewhat offensive/unattractive and therefore that might alter their first impression of the person being interviewed, but it won't alter admissions drastically. Those interviewing potential students are looking for factors that will allow you to succeed in the profession!

Karmapple - I definitely didn't say that they carry the SAME implications, only that they carry implications, and depending on the individual, those implications will mean different things. (See Pupsforseeings post)

I absolutely don't believe that being engaged/married is an indicator that a person will be less devoted to their career or vet school. Personally, I think I'll be a better student. In college I was very distracted dealing with the stresses, drama and highs/lows of dating. Yay for no more of that!

Lastly, I totally recognize my neuroticism! It's absurd to worry about this stuff, when ultimately it's probably completely inconsequential whether or not you are married or engaged or whatever when you apply. But the reason I visit SDN is that I'm totally neurotic about this process :scared: Isn't that one of the reasons most of us love SDN? We stress about every little thing we possibly can, and love dissecting on this web site, and helping out the other crazies like ourselves?

Last edited:
Isn't that one of the reasons most of us love SDN? We stress about every little thing we possibly can, and love dissecting on this web site, and helping out the other crazies like ourselves?

Well, yes! This just gave me more thing to freak out about! It never, not even for one second, entered my head not wear engagement /wedding rings to an interview. Now I can just envision myself having a last minute mental breakdown before the interview. Taking the rings off...putting them back on.... Taking them off again.... :laugh:

Now I can just envision myself having a last minute mental breakdown before the interview. Taking the rings off...putting them back on.... Taking them off again.... :laugh:

Eek! My one rule is that, if I go somewhere with my ring on, unless I specifically wore a chain around my neck to put the ring on, it's not coming off my finger!! My biggest fear is losing it! :scared:

I say if you go there with the ring(s) on, wear it!

one of my interviewers went on and on and on (even after i told her i had no sprospects for engagement in the near future) about how marriages in vet school never last and it's stupid to come into vet schol engaged, blah blah blah.

this is utterly ridiculous. there are several married folks in all 4 classes at our school and even more engaged couples. I'm sure divorces and break ups happenin vet school, just like they do in the rest of the national population!! How utterly unprofessional (and pretty bitter) to say this to you!

I am piercing sympathetic (had my tongue pierced for over 4 years) and I'd definitely recommend any and all facial visible piercings be removed except a single pair of earrings for gals and nothing for guys. For DollyyLlama, you might consider keeping the stud in your purse or pocket and in between the interview and the tour, excuse yourself to use the restroom and stick the stud back through the hole again just to keep it...errr..."patent" for a short time. :laugh:

And yup, wear your engagement rings. :) JMHO!

I wore my engagement ring to my only interview and I ended up at that school. If they ask you about it, you can only tell them about your circumstances.

Just so you all know: there are certain questions that are illegal for interviewers to ask during job interviews, and I am assuming that the same rules apply during college admissions interviews. Anything having to do with marital status, sexual preference, pregnancy, future childbearing plans, and a host of other personal-related questions cannot be asked.
This is not to say that your interviewers won't assume certain things about your personal life, but if you are not volunteering such information, they cannot ask for it. Even if you're wearing a ring on your finger.

I vote for wearing the ring and being who you are.

I wore my engagement ring to my only interview and I ended up at that school. If they ask you about it, you can only tell them about your circumstances.

Hi all,

It is an interview...a formal process, for which you have probably already spent a considerable sum of money just for that schools application process, let alone the process as a whole.

Why you wouldn't want to look your absolute best? I understand that there are some bargains available, but even if there weren't, spending 3-4 hundered dollars for a really decent suit/outfit isn't out of line considering what as been spent on the process overall. And you get to wear it again.

My pre-rec school had a med school. I was agast at passed for "interview" clothes during that time of the year.

For a classic tome, try "Dress for Success".

Since it seems neglected in this thread..Interview wear for men:

Dark suit, dark blue or grey (pin stripes ok). Make sure it fits and has been to the cleaners.

No plaid sport coats (seen 'em), lesuire suits (seen 'em), NO JEANS or cordoroys (yep, seen 'em)

White shirt is best, but tepid colors are ok. NO PATTERNS, and remember, it gets tucked in and should have seen the hot side of an iron.

Tie should match the suit. Nothing flashy. Tie it properly.

Plain black shoes. Shined. With laces. No penny loafers.

Belt...no suspenders.

No earrings or jewelry other than an engagement/wedding band and/or class ring.

Day of the interview, stand closer to the razor. This isn't the time for the "Miami Vice Look, Part Deux". And for crying out loud, get a haircut!

A small leather portfolio for important papers.

You want classic and polished, and like how you'd want your attorney to look if you were going to court.

This always stumps me...we read in thread after thread about people obsessing over trivia, yet will walk into the interview looking like they just rolled out of bed or try to get away with looking less than %100...I mean, compared with everything else, this is EASY!

Rant over....

Oldie

If I was engaged to the man I love you'd have to cut off my left hand in order to get that ring off my finger. I think you should be more than fine leaving it on. I'm a firm believer in staying true to yourself throughout this process (within reason of course).

I actually heard from vet students and admissions officials that they like to see that you have a life (outside of studies) and a family.

I specifically mentioned that I had been able to balance school, volunteer work, extracurricular activities, other commitments and my marriage successfully. I mentioned it as a strength in my personal statement. After reading these posts, I am worried that it may not have been the best thing to do!

leave it in! if they flat out reject you based on a small stud monroe (which i think are beautiful by the way)... well, i wouldn't want to be at that school. be you; it may even add a touch of individuality and something for them to remember you by!

i too am shocked that people are even considering taking their engagement rings off for an interview. you're ENGAGED! what's to be ashamed about that??

Bit of a tangent from the jewelry discussion...

I'm not sure about the format for a lot of other schools' interviews, but for Ohio State, for example, there is an information session, Q&A, tour, lunch, etc. in the morning and interviews aren't until the afternoon. For these situations do you guys suggest wearing your interview attire throughout, or wearing something a bit more casual/comfortable and then changing before the interview? I am leaning towards wearing my interview suit the whole time, but am a bit concerned about it. The day starts at 8:30 AM, and my interview isn't until 3:30. Plenty of time for disaster! But I really don't want to have to worry about finding a place to change, being the only one all morning not in business attire, etc. I'm not staying nearby, so I can't go back to a hotel and change or anything like that; I'd have to carry around my stuff all day. What do you guys think, or what are you planning on doing?

I'm not sure about the format for a lot of other schools' interviews, but for Ohio State, for example, there is an information session, Q&A, tour, lunch, etc. in the morning and interviews aren't until the afternoon. For these situations do you guys suggest wearing your interview attire throughout, or wearing something a bit more casual/comfortable and then changing before the interview? I am leaning towards wearing my interview suit the whole time, but am a bit concerned about it. The day starts at 8:30 AM, and my interview isn't until 3:30. Plenty of time for disaster! But I really don't want to have to worry about finding a place to change, being the only one all morning not in business attire, etc. I'm not staying nearby, so I can't go back to a hotel and change or anything like that; I'd have to carry around my stuff all day. What do you guys think, or what are you planning on doing?

I'd wear your interview attire all day. I think it's more about the impression you make. Even though you're only in the interview for that short period of time, you should be "on" all day. Just like interviewing for a job, you might have a full day of interviewing, even though an hour of it might be being taken out to lunch, chatting with HR, etc. And for the day long job interview, you'd wear your nice clothes for the whole thing.

It's not as bad as it sounds, though. First, when you're buying your suit, if you haven't already done so, try sitting down in the pants in the fitting room for a while (like 30 minutes). See if they're comfy, shift around, cross your legs, make sure they don't ride up in the crotch, pinch your waist, dip too low in the back of the waist, etc. That'll help your comfort level. (OH! And make sure that no skin/underwear shows between the bottom of your shirt and top of your pants :nono: ...the two items should overlap!)

Also, for comfort during the day, if you wear a suit, you can have the suit jacket off for most of the day, either draped over your arm/bag when walking around or on the back of your chair during the day. Just put it back on for the actual interview. To be safe re: spills, you could even have a back-up shirt (they're usually rather small and pack well) in your purse/bag (assuming you're female). I also highly recommend buying a Tide-to-go pen and slipping that into your purse. It has gotten out almost everything I've ever spilled on myself (except maybe oil).

Good luck. :)

(Edit: Sorry if I sounded like anyone's mom. I guess I'm getting to be an old fuddy duddy.)

leave it in! if they flat out reject you based on a small stud monroe (which i think are beautiful by the way)... well, i wouldn't want to be at that school. be you; it may even add a touch of individuality and something for them to remember you by!

hey, thanks for the reply (i think they're beautiful too)! someone suggested i take it out and then find a piercer to help me get it back in, so i think that is what i will do. i would love them to accept me the way i am, but i guess it's all part of the role we play when trying to make a good impression- everything i say, do, and wear will be filtered through the lens of what's best for the image. better to play it safe, then make a statement once i'm in!

My interview at OSU isn't until 2:45-3:15 and I'm planning on just wearing my suit all day. If I remember correctly we're going to be eating lunch with professors and current students and I want to make sure I look appropriate/not be the odd girl out. Also, you never know who might be leading the tours or what important people you might run into. I figure, better to be safe (and uncomfortable) than sorry. Sooooo nervous!

Wear it all day, but keep the ketchup AWAY from your blouse. Haha.

I have two rings, two stud earrings in each ear, and a necklace (star shaped crystal pave from Swarovski) that I wear every day of my life. No intentions of changing that, ever, unless I'm dressing up (gown, dangly earrings, heels, etc.) or going swimming.

My interview at OSU isn't until 2:45-3:15

Sooooo nervous!

Good luck bunnyslippers!! :luck: