interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, bunnyslippers, I totally understand. My interview is at 3:30. I agree with what you said about being the "odd girl out," but I was thinking the same thing about being the only one wearing my suit. I feel a lot better about it now because everyone that I've talked to has advised me to wear it all day.

VAgirl, good suggestion with the Tide pen! I'm generally not clumsy, but you know that if I spill one thing in my life it will be on that day. The only other consideration was that I read about changing shoes for the tour, not only for comfort, but also because a lot of them include stops in barns. I think I'm just going to suck it up though and watch where I step. I got pretty comfortable ankle-boot type things, so I should be fine wearing them all day.

I feel like I have so much left to do to prepare for my interviews, but hardly any time! I'm super nervous!

Members don't see this ad.

hey, thanks for the reply (i think they're beautiful too)! someone suggested i take it out and then find a piercer to help me get it back in, so i think that is what i will do. i would love them to accept me the way i am, but i guess it's all part of the role we play when trying to make a good impression- everything i say, do, and wear will be filtered through the lens of what's best for the image. better to play it safe, then make a statement once i'm in!

That's probably the safest...if I still had my tongue pierced (I finally let it fill in after four years of having to buy new barbells from the balls coming unscrewed, which got annoying and expensive) and left it in and got rejected, I'd always second guess my decision for something that would have been so easy to do differently. We bend over backwards to be nice to our professors and vets we work/shadow with to apply and put up a good all around picture to get good letters of rec and good grades. Why put that work in jeopardy on principle just on a fashion statement? If you're really, REALLY stuck on being an individual in vet school (I'm a free spirit myself, so I understand), you'll probably be either disappointed or get yourself into trouble. Much of the grading in clinical years is partially or totally subjective, so stepping on toes even unintentionally is not a great idea.

Another caution on facial piercings is actually having them ripped out while handling animals and such. I used to do a lot of martial arts and although I always kind of fancied an eyebrow or lip piercing, I never did as I didn't want it getting ripped out of my face on accident. Just a thought...

Man - I hadn't even thought about earrings. I have my ears pierced, and my left ear has one piercing in the cartilage. I kind of forgot I had it, since it just keeps the same earring in it all the time. Should I be taking that out for the interview? It kinda leaves a big hole when it comes out, and I inevitably loose one of the balls, but I can just bring an extra with me.

Also, VAgirl - you have some awesome suggestions re: what to bring with you day-of for emergencies. Anything else you can think of? Anyone else have ideas?

And one last thing - the suit/professional look is taking a step outside my comfort zone. It's either jeans and a t-shirt or barn clothes (one of my less profound reasons for wanting to be a horse vet is definitely the work attire). Along with this comes the fact that I never wear makeup (maaaaybe mascara, and sometimes cover-up if I've got an acne attack). Should I get a crash-course from a friend in subtle professional-looking makeup, or just go au natural? I'm planning on wearing my suit around to classes a couple times before going to interviews so I can get used to wearing that and feel comfortable in it, but now I'm panicking a bit about the makeup situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, VAgirl - you have some awesome suggestions re: what to bring with you day-of for emergencies. Anything else you can think of?

Lets see...I brought a large buisness-style purse (like this, but navy http://www.pursepage.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/coach-hamptons-pebbled-leather-book-tote.jpg), so I had lots of room. This isn't necessary, but having been a working professional for 4 years at that point I already had one. In it I had:

• Plenty of tissues (cold weather makes my nose run)
  • Small bottle of contact lens solution and lens case
  • Eye glasses in case my contact lenses were really bothering me and I had to take them out
  • Tide to go pen
  • Gloves, scarf (it was cold cold cold at most of the places I interviewed)
  • Snack (granola bar, etc.) if it was going to be a long day and I didn't know about getting food
  • Small bottle of hand lotion
  • Chapstick
  • Portfolio (like this http://www.mnea.org/images/ImageItems/portfolio.jpg without any logo) with pad of paper and pen inside; on the top sheet of paper I'd written down questions about the school/program that I had to ask at the end of the interview; the other pages gave me room to jot notes if I felt like it. I only pulled this out at the end of the interview when they asked me if I had any questions, though
  • Print outs of any directions/info the school had sent out that seemed important to have the day of the interview
  • Wallet, keys, cell phone (which should be OFF!!)
I think that was it.

I didn't bring a change of shoes (too cumbersome to carry around), just made sure the ones I wore were comfortable enough. And I didn't bring a change of shirt in case of spills, but if it'll be a long day, you could slip one in your bag.

So my purse was kinda full, but I made sure it wasn't so full that I wasn't comfortable carrying it around with me all day. I might not have been comfortable lugging this much stuff around when I was 22, but I've gotten much more used to carrying a purse over the last several years. It was worth it to me to be sure I had everything I needed to feel comfortable/prepared.

2 questions:

1. does it look good/bad/neutral to write down your questions and take notes while they're answering them? obviously, people think of questions ahead of time and they aren't totally unrehearsed- but does it detract from the conversational flow to be reading from a list?

2. Pantyhose- if i'm wearing a skirt suit i'm inclined to wear pantyhose. this is a good idea, right? it's not tooo old school?

2 questions:

1. does it look good/bad/neutral to write down your questions and take notes while they're answering them? obviously, people think of questions ahead of time and they aren't totally unrehearsed- but does it detract from the conversational flow to be reading from a list?

This is what I did and it seemed to work just fine. The only thing I'd say is be familiar enough with your questions such that you just need to glance at a question for a few seconds to be able to ask (in whatever words occur to you at the time) it rather than reading it word for word from the paper.

Which brings up another point - what type of questions do you ask? I feel like any question I ask about the program/facilities can be found online. I would want to know more about obtaining residency status in Ohio, but again, I can find information online. I don't want to ask questions just to ask questions, but I know it would look bad if I didn't ask any. What are some examples of the types of questions everyone asks?

Which brings up another point - what type of questions do you ask? I feel like any question I ask about the program/facilities can be found online. I would want to know more about obtaining residency status in Ohio, but again, I can find information online. I don't want to ask questions just to ask questions, but I know it would look bad if I didn't ask any. What are some examples of the types of questions everyone asks?

I asked interviewers to name a strength and weakness of the program and to explain why they chose to come to the school over other places. You can easily take some of the questions they ask you and have them answer them!

Good luck

2 questions:
2. Pantyhose- if i'm wearing a skirt suit i'm inclined to wear pantyhose. this is a good idea, right? it's not tooo old school?

In the winter i'd say its proper to wear them. I definitely would. I mean not fishnets obviously. But as long as they're subtle and dont clash with your outfit.

Barnaby, I would echo some of what VAgirl said (with the exception of having already had an interview..). I definitely think it's a good idea to bring a notebook and pen into the interview, though I would just jot down quick notes if anything. I plan on having my questions written in my notepad, just in case I am too nervous at that point to remember any! But I definitely wouldn't read them off the paper. Just think of things you've learned in high school/intro speech courses. Glancing at the notes occasionally is fine, but looking down too often creates a bad impression. And with a skirt suit I would definitely say wear pantyhose. Either solid opaque colored tights (like navy, depending on the suit color) or skin tone, which is what I would go with if I weren't wearing a pants suit.

I'd add to that list a lint roller...

So I was all dressed for success in a nice clean suit kept in its plastic wrap from the drycleaners to interview location, cleverly outwitting the cats and their hair. Unfortunately it was storming the day of my interview so I had to wear a coat in addition... not knowing that the cats had nested in my coat before the trip. I get to the school and take off the jacket and... :eek:

I went through the day and interview with my specially tailored cat-hair suit. I didn't care, that's who I am. But for those easily embarrassed you may want save yourself from the panic attack.

And yes, bring a writing utensil of some sort!

As for the piercing issue.. unless you're more metal than skin, I don't think I'd change who you are. It's not like vets aren't allowed to have piercings. We have some that do and are still employed!

I looked into areas of their program/school that were of interest to me and looked at what they had to say online. Then I thought about other things I'd like to know about the program/facility, etc. that wasn't discussed online. Those were the questions I asked. That way I wasn't asking about information I could easily have found online (I thought that would look lazy). But instead seeking more information that was available on a topic I was interested in.

I also agree that you can ask them about what they think some strengths/weaknesses of the program/school are. That's always interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to my first interview on Saturday, and just wanted to mention how ridiculous I realized the whole ring vs. no ring concern was. I did end up wearing mine (recognizing my paranoia & the fact that my SO is too awesome not to wear it :D). Well - LOTS of people had them, including 2 out of the 4 student presenters. So anyhow, here's to me, feeling a little foolish! :p

I went to my first interview on Saturday, and just wanted to mention how ridiculous I realized the whole ring vs. no ring concern was. I did end up wearing mine (recognizing my paranoia & the fact that my SO is too awesome not to wear it :D). Well - LOTS of people had them, including 2 out of the 4 student presenters. So anyhow, here's to me, feeling a little foolish! :p

I agree. Athough I don't think the concern was totally unfounded given the history of misconceptions about women entering professional careers who plan to have husbands/children etc Even my boss has said some questionable things to me in the context of discussing "problems" associated with the current ratio of male/female veterinary students.

That said, I did decide to wear my ring. And I don't think it played ANY role in the interviewers' evaluation of me. :)

I was just curious how many people wore suits vs how many people wore black pants and a nice sweater? I have a suit, but I'm not very happy with it, so I'm debating about wearing nice pants with a nice sweater. From what I've read either is OK, but I just don't want to be the odd person out.

I was just curious how many people wore suits vs how many people wore black pants and a nice sweater? I have a suit, but I'm not very happy with it, so I'm debating about wearing nice pants with a nice sweater. From what I've read either is OK, but I just don't want to be the odd person out.

I was just asking about this on the Penn thread because I REALLLYYYY don't like my suit options, and i have some very nice non-suit outfits... someone who just interviewed at Penn a couple of weeks ago said there were maybe 2 people that weren't wearing suits.... I think I might look into a blazer for my outfit but I hate to spend more $$....ugh.

At both my interviews, there were a few people not wearing suits, but a vast majority were. I would probably add a blazer if I were you, even though it is more money. All the money I've spent on applications/interviews (ugh, I hate to even think about it), I just view as an investment in my future..

Here is a link to a thread that has a link to ANOTHER thread in it as well! See if you get a good idea from those. I wore a tan suit with a nice red shirt underneath, nice brown shoes and hose, and just pulled my hair back from my face. Nothing too fancy. A suit skirt would be fine too, I just hate skirts (and it was February).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=566015&highlight=interview+attire+veterinary

P.S. I bought my suit at Ann Taylor Loft... $$$ but it fit me really well. I'm very, very small so a size 4 at JCPenny's wasn't going to cut it. Like I mentioned before, my main concern now is the expansion of my backside in between last February and interviews 2009-2010... and tomorrow won't be helping that cause. Haha.

Hey twelvetigers, we're in the same boat! I'm 5'3 (on a good day :laugh:) and finding a suite that fit well is a challenge. I have two suites and both were bought at Ann Taylor Loft. Love the place and the cut/style of the suites are so modern, I can pair the jacket w/ a pair of jeans and it still looks great.

VAGirl, great suggestions. I would add band-aid just in case some of you are as foolish as I was and purchase shoes w/o breaking them in, ouch. And a snack is a must - you don't want your stomach growling during the interview.

Good luck everyone!:luck:

I wore a black suit with a dark teal top underneath and 1.5" black heels. I was worried I would feel overdressed - I heard of many people going more laid-back - but nearly everyone I interviewed with that day (~30 people) was dressed just like me. I can recall one girl who wore a sweater/skirt combo, but everyone else was in black or grey suits. I don't think it's wrong to wear a nice top with slacks, but I guess it might depend on what school you interview at and what their atmosphere is like. I tend to WAY over-think things like this (I spent a solid month looking for the perfect necklace to wear). :)

I actually got my suit from Victoria's Secret (online). It fit very well - not boxy or shapeless but not too tight either...of course, you have to order well in advance in case you get the wrong size, but I was really happy with it and felt great.

We were informed there would be a walking tour of the campus, and to bring/wear comfortable shoes, so I stuck with shorter heels - but I'm bad in heels to begin with, so after an hour of standing/walking I was about ready to die. I greatly envied the girls who wore more substantial footwear.

Good luck!

thanks for all the advice! but now I'm even more torn lol. I am leaning more towards my nice black slacks and a turtle neck sweater because I feel more comfortable and hopefully more confident, but I do worry about feeling underdressed. I think I will bring a suit jacket in the car so I can grab it in case. I'm interviewing with VMRCVM, but the interview is actually at the University of Maryland, so all I'm going for is the interview itself.

If I can remember right, one kid wore jeans and a button up shirt. A little inappropriate I thought given the situation. I wore traditional suit and tie. But I always wear that to special occasions.

Hey twelvetigers, we're in the same boat! I'm 5'3 (on a good day :laugh:) and finding a suite that fit well is a challenge. I have two suites and both were bought at Ann Taylor Loft. Love the place and the cut/style of the suites are so modern, I can pair the jacket w/ a pair of jeans and it still looks great.

Ooooh....I'd kill to be 5'3" on ANY day--I'm just 5'. And I agree that finding a suit that fits is a challenge--so-called "petite" pants are often still too long! But I've had luck with Eddie Bauer suits; the one I purchased fit well, right off the rack. Also got it on sale. :)

what do you guys think about wearing engagement rings?

On one hand, it may indicate maturity... After all, I am a non-trad.
However, many of my pre-allo (premed) friends have told me not to wear my engagement ring to an interview because it may be be interpreited as an indicator of a lack of committment to medicine (esp. being female..... wedding planning, kids, etc). RIDICULOUS, and archaic, I know. :annoyed: However, I don't want to give room for any misconceptions, no matter how misinformed they are.

Opinions?

Allos (all human meds actually) are a completely different world. Wear your engagement ring. We have plenty of women in our field and no one is going to think less of you because of your relationship status.

If I can remember right, one kid wore jeans and a button up shirt. A little inappropriate I thought given the situation. I wore traditional suit and tie. But I always wear that to special occasions.

I actually sat next to him and he was in my tour group. He was from the West coast or southwest. (Nevada maybe)? He had an interview later in the afternoon and was going back to his hotel in between the tour and his interview to change into his suit.

I know this topic is largely female oriented, but I feel like guys should definitely wear a suit. The mismatched pants and jacket approach just doesn't look very professional.

Hey ladies (sorry guys, but this just doesn't apply to you at all, unless... well... never-mind),

I got some AWESOME professional heels that were just as easy to walk in as flats! Seriously! They are called Beautifeel. I got mine on sale at the walking company, they are on the more expensive end but it was worth it to me. I'm TERRIBLE at walking in heels, and all I could think of was tripping and the adcoms saying, wow, we can't accept her, she cant even stay on her own feet! They worked out great and were really comfortable! no blisters at all! Definitely worth checking out!

If you need comfortable shoes, the Beautifeel BeeBee82 mentioned really are that wonderful. I walked about two miles round trip in them every day last summer from the metro to my office and never had any problems or sore feet at all. Definetly more money, but well worth it.

Hey twelvetigers, we're in the same boat! I'm 5'3 (on a good day :laugh:) and finding a suite that fit well is a challenge.

Actually, I'm 5'6", so height isn't my issue. At the time of my interview, I think I weighed 109 lbs on a good day. So, it was finding sizes like 0 and 00 that made things challenging... although I did buy a "petite" suit coat. 00P!

Nowadays, I have err... "rounded out" a bit... ON THE BOTTOM of course, where else? So now I'm sitting at 120lbs and hoping my bum still fits in the pants, but I'm scared to try them on. :rolleyes:

I wore a light gray suit with a subtle pink pinstripe and a light pink button down with a pearl necklace. I found the suit on mega-sale at JC Penny the day after Christmas ($70, normally $200), and it fit perfect right off the rack. I also found a pair of really comfortable black heels, but I paid a little extra for the comfort. And I wore both my engagement and wedding rings (nothing could make me remove them). Apparently they didn't care and thought I looked appropriate, because I got accepted 3 days later. Oh, and about earrings -- I have an inner conch piercing, a tragus piercing, and a cartilage piercing in each ear and didn't remove any of them. To be honest, I didn't even think about it (I've had them for so long that I sometimes forget!).

Actually, I'm 5'6", so height isn't my issue. At the time of my interview, I think I weighed 109 lbs on a good day. So, it was finding sizes like 0 and 00 that made things challenging... although I did buy a "petite" suit coat. 00P!

They make size 00!!!???

Apparently they do at Ann Taylor. The pants are only 0 regular, but the jacket is 00 petite. Another reason they are nice - you can mix & match. The suit fits wonderful, as it should for $300... which is exactly why I'm prayin' my rump still fits. Or that it can be tailored somehow. :D

I think I spent upwards of $400 for my entire new outfit for my Ohio interview. Being all diligent I pull my old suit out 3 days before I was supposed to fly out and for the life of me couldn't find my pants. :( And I don't even have a fun story to explain how I lost my pants.... they were just gone.

So one new suit later, socks, belt, shirt and tie, garment bag, some tayloring.... man did it all add up quick.

In total I see myself being close to $1000 into my Ohio State application.

I feel you guys with height issues. I'm 5'1", or at least that's what I tell myself (that inch might be a bit of a, well, stretch) and sometimes petites just aren't short enough. It's sad, really. Anyway, I found a suit at Macy's on Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving) on sale from something like $280 to $55. So...it was worth a few extra bucks to get it shortened. It's a tan suit, and I got a green turtleneck at The Limited to go with it. Anyway, the real point of this post is the shoes! I got ankle boots at Target for like $30 (http://www.target.com/Merona-Kenna-...field-browse=370189011&rank=pmrank&rh=&page=4), and they are SO COMFORTABLE. They look really great with my suit, and have a 2" heel, so it's enough to almost make me average height, but not enough to make me fall over or hurt my feet. They also kept my feet WARM in Ohio and Kansas. I'm definitely not used to having to wear anything but flip flops. Anyway, if any of you girls are still looking for shoes, I highly recommend these, and they come in brown and black.

I was anticipating spending at least $150 on the suit alone, so I was really glad to pull my whole outfit together for around that amount.

Thanks for the shoe tip! And twelvetigers I was just teasing. I am about average weight but have never seen the likes of a 00 on my waist-even if I got as skinny as I could I don't think my hips would fit into those (I was blessed with good child bearing hips! :laugh:). I am 5'9'' so sometimes I have the issue of being too tall for pants-not often but sometimes. Still haven't found a good suit yet-but I've got time. This may have already been posted but where is a good place to find a nice suit that isn't too expensive?

This may have already been posted but where is a good place to find a nice suit that isn't too expensive?

Do you know about how much you want to spend? Everyone's range for 'too expensive' is bound to be different!

Thanks for the shoe tip! And twelvetigers I was just teasing. I am about average weight but have never seen the likes of a 00 on my waist-even if I got as skinny as I could I don't think my hips would fit into those (I was blessed with good child bearing hips! :laugh:). I am 5'9'' so sometimes I have the issue of being too tall for pants-not often but sometimes. Still haven't found a good suit yet-but I've got time. This may have already been posted but where is a good place to find a nice suit that isn't too expensive?
...I think my arm might be 00! LoL, sorry couldn't resist. But twelvetigers, I do love Anne Taylor! Hope everything works w/ your suite.

Guppy73 - too funny! I say the same thing about being 5'5...ooo those few extra inches!

I had luck finding an inexpensive but nice suit at JCPenney. The suit pants and jacket came as separates which is great because I'm tall in pants but regular in jackets, and then I got a sweater shell. The total for all 3 was under $65. Then I went and paid $60 for shoes... :rolleyes:

I know this topic is largely female oriented, but I feel like guys should definitely wear a suit. The mismatched pants and jacket approach just doesn't look very professional.

Not to bring this too much back to topics of female interest, but I'd say that, for anyone wondering, the coordinated but not matched jacket and slacks is a potentially very professional look for women. I chose this for all of my interviews last year because I wanted a new suit but all the suits I saw in stores left me cold--they looked really drab to me. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

I'm not really a black/grey type of person, so I wore a pale lavender CK skirt suit with a light green cami underneath. I'm sort of olive-toned and have dark hair and eyes and have always found pastels to suit me well. I found it at Macy's in the clearance section a week before the interview. :rolleyes:

I'm also in the five foot maybe-two-on-a-tall-day club, and I bought it in a petite size which actually ended up fitting really well without any tailoring. I also have the opposite deal of twelvetigers though - I was a bit chubby at interview time last year and this year I'm much, much more in shape (minus 3 sizes). So I guess I'm glad I got the thing on clearance!

I had luck finding an inexpensive but nice suit at JCPenney. The suit pants and jacket came as separates which is great because I'm tall in pants but regular in jackets, and then I got a sweater shell. The total for all 3 was under $65. Then I went and paid $60 for shoes... :rolleyes:

Wow! You must be a pro-shopper!

I'm sorry but I could not resist. I hope your not this terrible in heels!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxrN_rWcLbU
:laugh: I've seen that video before, and I completely cracked up!

I think the newscaster's reaction is funnier than the actual event (actually, I just watched it again, with no sound. Still cracked up hard! I feel bad for her though!) Hah....thanks for the laugh.

Last edited:
I beat you all not quite 5' ever! (there goes the anonymity I guess) I went with nice pants and a sweater for interviews. It was comfortable and looked good.

I'm also in the five foot maybe-two-on-a-tall-day club, and I bought it in a petite size which actually ended up fitting really well without any tailoring. I also have the opposite deal of twelvetigers though - I was a bit chubby at interview time last year and this year I'm much, much more in shape (minus 3 sizes). So I guess I'm glad I got the thing on clearance!

I'd offer to trade, but I look like poop in purple. :D

Haha. I don't feel bad about wearing a 00 - a lot of people want to be skinny like that. However, I will say that the petite jacket fit better because it had less bust baggage, which goes along with being all skinny and stuff. Everyone finds something to whine about. ;)

Do you know about how much you want to spend? Everyone's range for 'too expensive' is bound to be different!

I was thinking around 100-200 dollars for the whole thing (suit and shoes). Maybe that isn't reasonable though.

I had a lot of professional-ish clothes in my closet, just needed shoes that weren't 3" heels (Yes, I love heels. And yes. . .. they hurt like a . . . and yes, i trip too)

I ended up going to nine west for black boots and they are having an AMAZING sale!!!!!! reduced prices plus an extra 20-40% off. I got the perfect pair of knee high black boots, that will go with a pencil skirt and with slacks for under $55 .

I was just sad I couldn't buy more boots. . . . .I am such a girl. :p
BUT, I am spending over 1 grand in the flights/hotels/cars for the 5 interviews that i have.

It's bittersweet to be working a low paying tech job in order to spend all the money i make on vet school apps and interviews.
But it'll be worth it :D

I was thinking around 100-200 dollars for the whole thing (suit and shoes). Maybe that isn't reasonable though.

That is totally doable! And...now might be a good time to get some awesome deals.

I agree with looking at JCPenney as someone suggested. Also, if there are any New York and Company's in your area they have stylish, professional clothes for good deals!

Also, if you belong to any of the bigger chain stores you could always look for sales combined with any coupons/credit card deals. I got an awesome price on my suit (it even came with a sweater!) at Dillard's. For a nice pea coat, I went to Macy's since it was 50% off plus I had a $15 coupon. I already had the shoes...so the grand total was ~$200.

Haha, just remember if your looking good, you'll feel good!! Good luck! :luck:

Banana Republic has a sale rack, but you might have to stalk it for several weeks in order to find anything at a reasonable price that fits. It was one of the only other places that had things small enough, but the non-sale section cost even more than Ann Taylor.

Lane Bryant is always a great place to find stuff if you have a larger frame. :)

Banana Republic has a sale rack, but you might have to stalk it for several weeks in order to find anything at a reasonable price that fits. It was one of the only other places that had things small enough, but the non-sale section cost even more than Ann Taylor.

Lane Bryant is always a great place to find stuff if you have a larger frame. :)

Thanks for the advice-but Lane Bryant is much too big for me. I am not too terribly concerned about buying a suit immediately-since it will be a couple years until I apply. But I would like to have some ideas and be well prepared-so thanks for the advice!