interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well I didn't mean you in particular - wasn't trying to call you a chunky monkey or anything. Just a general thought, as I know someone who got their suit there and liked it quite a bit. :)

Definitely wait as close to interview time as you can to buy because you'll probably gain/lose weight depending on how you handle stress. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm with twelvetigers on the whole not finding suits that were small enough. I finally found one at Nordstrom, it fit nice off the rack (the pants verge on being too long since I am not a heel walking kind of person and thus have very low heels that I will be wearing) and it was half off! That's what really sealed the deal. It took me a couple outings and traveling to three different malls in my area to find it, so persevere, you will find something!

on a side note, when I put it on for my mom she looked at me and said "well now if you can figure out how to do your hair you might actually look your age" People find out I'm applying for school and they always think I mean undergrad...

Well I didn't mean you in particular - wasn't trying to call you a chunky monkey or anything. Just a general thought, as I know someone who got their suit there and liked it quite a bit. :)

Definitely wait as close to interview time as you can to buy because you'll probably gain/lose weight depending on how you handle stress. ;)

Haha! Chunky monkey. I guess I thought you were (I thought you took my hip comment to me I am plus sized). It's so hard to tell what people really mean on a place like this because you are only going off of what they typed-not off of body expression and voice. My bad. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just at UPenn Friday and maybe 4 or 5 out of 30 people there were not wearing suits. I wore black pants (Banana Republic, $60) and a maroon sweater (Old Navy), one girl wore a red sweater with grey pants, another girl wore black pants with a blue button-down shirt...one of the admissions folks said it was nice to see a few people not dressed entirely in black or grey!
Also, with so many people interviewing each day, I think wearing something different, as long as you still look professional, helps them remember you.

Livefor32, I interviewed at CP for the past two years and saw a wide variety of things. The first year, I wore a really nice sweater and a nice black skirt. Last year, a nice blouse and a nice pair of slacks. This year, I'm wearing a nice pair of black dress pants with a white/cream colored jacket and black shirt underneath. I know that doesn't *sound* like a great combination, but the jacket looks really nice on me and I love it. My only problem was that last year, I got a bit hot in my blouse and I think a little bit sweaty. I don't think it was noticeable, but it still made me feel more nervous.

At my interviews, I saw a decent number of people dressed like me (nice shirt, dress pants), and a slightly larger number wearing suits. Even some of the female interviewers didn't wear a suit. (All the guys wore suits, of course.)

I think the best option is to wear something fairly conservative and understated (by which I mean everything's covered, no super bright colors, no low cut tops, etc), but beyond that to wear what you like. If you go into your interview feeling and looking horribly uncomfortable in your suit, you won't interview well. Likewise, if a sweater will make you feel horribly under dressed, then don't wear it. Just make sure you're comfortable and confident!

Pandacinny, thanks for the advice! I think that if I'm comfortable in what I'm wearing, then I will be confident and (hopefully) interview well. I've decided on nice black pants with a turtle neck sweater. When I get nervous I break out into hives, so although I fear getting hot, I think it'll be better then them seeing my splotchy chest and arms! Also, it scares me that this is your 3rd interview. This is my second round, but last time I applied I didn't get any interviews. I'm very nervous about what they'll ask. I wish you luck - it sounds like you're very determined and I have no doubt that you really deserve this!

Well, since I interviewed the first time, but did make really any improvements to my app the second time, it's not surprising I didn't make it last year. This year, I've worked hard to add experience.

Good luck to you, though! I thought the interviewers were all pretty nice. They work hard to make you comfortable and are great about answering questions. I'm sure you'll be fine!

I think a suit is the most appropriate attire for men and women. In the corporate world, you would always wear a suit to a job interview. I do not see this as any different - you are interviewing to enter a highly regarded profession. I am sure there are many combinations that look good on women - pants with blouses, turtlenecks, blazers, etc., but the most professional and appropriate choice is a suit.

I think those that have a long walking tour involved should plan accordingly with their footwear and/or an overcoat for the weather. Jewelry should be kept to a minimum - wedding/engagement ring, small earrings and a simple necklace if needed. I personally would withhold from wearing any other piercings, should you have them. I realize piercings may be 'who you are', but I personally do not want to see my vet come in with an eyebrow, tongue, lip or nose piercing. Call me old fashioned, but i do not feel these belong in a professional setting. Does anyone's MD have these? Most likely not. I am not certain this would prohibit a committee from admitting you, but i definitely feel as though it could be prohibitive in a job interview.

The goal is to not stand out with your interview outfit. It is much better to fit in with regard to this and stand out with your application and accomplishments.

Good Luck to all of those interviewing!

I had my interview end of January and I think all but three were in suits( out of 28). If you bring a relative or friend like some colleges encourage make sure they are dressed appropriately. One brought a friend who was in torn jeans/sweatshirt. This may reflect poorly on you. Also to the other tall women (5'9.5") I found a skirt suit was easier to find/fit as I did not have to worry about the pant legs riding up when I sat down.

As others have said before JCPenny is great and Dillard's always has great sale racks. Good Luck to those who have impending interviews!!

If you are having trouble finding suits I highly recommend The Limited. I got my suit there last year and they have tons of options. When you go in find someone to help you because I did and they were really awesome helping me put together different options (including shirts to wear with). I'm short and I didn't have trouble finding something small enough, and they will also alter the suit at no charge :)

finally found a suit for under $100 at filene's basement. ugh, I hate suits!!!

anyway....what do you do as far as a handbag? do you bring it into the interview with you and set it on the floor? do you not bring one at all?

There was someone to leave it with (at a sign-in table) at the interview I went to. No big deal. Just remember to turn off your phone - that would be annoying if it rang.

Gah I was convinced I'd be OK in nice slacks and a blouse but the closer it gets and the more I hear, I won't feel comfortable if I'm not in a suit. Since the one suit I own is very blatently cheap, and the two someone leant me don't fit well, I'll be heading to The Limited (thanks whoever posted that!!) tomorrow when I finish work at 8pm... the night before my interview... an hour before the store closes.... lol.

anyway....what do you do as far as a handbag? do you bring it into the interview with you and set it on the floor? do you not bring one at all?

This was another Target purchase for me. I got a pretty large brown bag (similar to this: http://www.target.com/Merona-Exotic...=51505011&frombrowse=1&rh=p_36:$25-$49&page=1), mostly because my first interview was Ohio State and we were there all day. I stocked it with my make up, a Tide pen, a book, my ipod, etc. Ended up using approximately zero of it, but I was glad to have it. For OSU I took my bag with me into the room and set it on the floor, though had a notebook and pen out (didn't take any notes, but had my questions for the interviewers at the end written down since I knew I'd forget). For Kansas State my brother came with me, so he was the designated purse holder. If you'd rather not bring a purse into the room, there will most likely be a place to leave it. I'm not really comfortable leaving my purse with someone I don't know, and it wasn't awkward at all to bring it in the room. Either way, I think you'll be fine.

I'm not really comfortable leaving my purse with someone I don't know...

Well, it was a 4th year student so I kinda sorta did know them already. I guess that made a difference. Also, I didn't have anything good in there so if they wanted to root around... I do carry scissors and tape in my purse though. :D They come in handy, I swear.

P.S. I just bought this guy in avocado. Ahh, purses.

Last edited:
Well I think I'm going interview outfit shopping today. I've been following the thread pretty closely so, we'll see what I come up with.

I was thinking a sparkly tube top, pants that are a little too short/tight, bright pink "I Love Bassets" socks, some awesome costume jewelery (to show how classy I am), red stilettos and maybe a fur coat (again with the class).

Actually, I'm taking a Vet friend of mine with me, without her I wouldn't have a clue. All I ever wear are cut off camo shorts, band t-shirts and birkenstocks (TGF scrubs).

Hurray For Stress!!

I was thinking a sparkly tube top, pants that are a little too short/tight, bright pink "I Love Bassets" socks, some awesome costume jewelery (to show how classy I am), red stilettos and maybe a fur coat (again with the class).

That sounds good as long as the sparkly tube top is leopard print and the pants are zebra print. :cool:

(to show that you love animals, you see...)

...and be sure to accessorize with an alligator leather handbag. ;)
Very classy.

BTW, good luck on the interview!