Interview Attire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bethie Bug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband has an interview later this month and I was wondering what he should wear. He has a black suit but some things I have read says not to wear black. Any ideas?

Also, any ideas on how to prepare for the interview?

Thanks and God bless!

Members don't see this ad.

at least one person in my interview group wore a black suit. All the males wore dark suits, at least.

The biggest part of prepping for the interview is practicing. He'll need to feel comfortable when being asked random questions and learn how to not show he wasn't prepared for a certain question, even if it catches him flat-footed.

My husband has an interview later this month and I was wondering what he should wear. He has a black suit but some things I have read says not to wear black. Any ideas?

Thanks and God bless!
all the men i interviewed with wore black suits. i read that women shouldn't wear all black so i wore gray but i think as long as the suit is clean and fits he should be fine :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The majority men during my four interviews wore black. Only one interviewee decided not to wear a suit. He looked like a fool lol. That being said, I think black will be just fine, just make sure to have a neutral colored tie/shirt combination. Good luck on the interview!

I wore a navy blue suit, although any dark suit is fine

As long as he doesn't wear a leisure suit I think anything else would be okay.

417442156_2961f702e9.jpg

Yeah, make sure he doesn't show up like this.

I wore a black suit with a red striped dress shirt and striped red tie. I wanted to kind of stand out but still look traditional. Most people wore a suit with a dark solid dress shirt which is fine, but it seemed too normal for me. There was one person at my interview who wore khakis and just a normal dress, shirt, no tie. He looked like he was 19 and stood out as a sore thumb.

At my texas tech interview, nearly every person, even the women, had on some sort of black suit. It was like a funeral in there :D

Suit and tie. Don't go to crazy about attire. Just stick to a dry-cleaned suit, dress shirt, tie, dress shoes and you will be fine. BTW, there is nothing wrong with a black suit.

Thanks and God bless!
I had a guy at my interview session who had nothing else going for him look-wise but his black suit with bright green shirt. The dean was giving a speech and he kept targeting his questions toward the green shirt. Even brought him up in am example saying "He has a very expensive shirt on, yadda, yadda". The guy stood out in a good way. Maybe your hubby should consider that. Nothing out of line, but still a successful chance : )

Members don't see this ad :)
I echo what others have said.

Dark suit - black or navy, with a conservative shirt and tie.

PLEASE make sure he matches his socks to his pants, not his shoes. It's a dressing faux pas the other way around and irks me every time I see it.

I echo what others have said.

Dark suit - black or navy, with a conservative shirt and tie.

PLEASE make sure he matches his socks to his pants, not his shoes. It's a dressing faux pas the other way around and irks me every time I see it.

Matching 101:
  • socks - to - pants
  • belt - to - shoes

How will they see the color of your socks? My pants are usually long enough so that you will never see my socks.
When you sit &/or cross your legs the pants ride up showing your socks.

At my texas tech interview, nearly every person, even the women, had on some sort of black suit. It was like a funeral in there :D

lol it was like this at my Mercer interview too. I think the only person who wasn't wearing a black suit was a candidate who was in the Navy....... he was wearing his Navy uniform... with the hat and everything.

417442156_2961f702e9.jpg

Yeah, make sure he doesn't show up like this.

Hey, I have glasses like that, what's wrong with them? J/K

To the OP, a dark suit with a conservative tie is usually customary. You don't want to really wear anything flashy because you don't know how it will be received. Once you're in the school, you can get flashier if you want, but for the interview you want to keep it fairly conservative.

lol it was like this at my Mercer interview too. I think the only person who wasn't wearing a black suit was a candidate who was in the Navy....... he was wearing his Navy uniform... with the hat and everything.

You're not supposed to wear your cover inside in the military unless you're under arms.

Suit and tie is a sure bet. The only place that I heard of where suits aren't standard is Hawaii.

Hmm, yeah, I think my pants are long enough to prevent that, lol.

Then your pants are too long. You want some "break" in your pants, but not a lot, and when you sit, you should be showing some sock. Yowza.

Apparently, the only fashion advice that should be doled out from member's in this forum is, "wear a suit." :laugh:

If you want to be different... wear shorts, a sleeveless shirt and flip flops or loafers. When they ask you about your attire, tell them, "I wanted to make everyone feel at ease; it's an environment full of anxiety... I'm just doing my part, being a team player."