interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johndean11229

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok everyone, we all kow for interviews how we have to dress, but when it comes to accessories, how nice do we have to go? for example, i heard someone say if that you have to bring a folder to the interview, it better not be a paper one, but a leather one. any thoughts? i dont even know what a leather folder is? so i guess i m not bringing my bookbag, i m gonna have to buy a nice bag....i dont know???

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to be wearing the blue blazer and some khaki colored dress pants with a conservative tie. As for my folder, I'll bring in a leather portfolio that I bought at OfficeMax for like, $20. You can put other materials in there like resumes, research papers- I'm bringing a copy of the art/literary magazine that I work on...

good luck!

p.s. take my words with a grain of salt, I've never done this before either!! :)

i wouldn't worry to much about accessories. they are going to give you a place to put your stuff before the one on one interview. by stuff i mean a jacket, lugage, umbrella, etc.

i highly doubt that if you do have folder that is not leather a committee member is going to be shallow enough to remark "applicant X had a good interview, but brought a paper folder to the interview, VERY UNPROFESSIONAL, i don't recommend him/her for our class . . ."

haven't your ever read about law school interviews where they tell applicants not to buy a new leather breifcase just to look professional. being practical is not a sin.

on a side note, if you do bring something into the actual interview that is extra (i'm talking about when you're one on one with an interviewer), i would just make sure it does not look all tattered and dirty, this would kind of take away from the fact that you dressed up to look professional.

chao :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Chunk-ee...not sure how the khaki pants will go over...probably be okay...but I don't know for sure..

i agree with scooby....wearing a suit is pretty standard.

I am just wondering what you guys are bringing to interviews regarding your research. Would you bring full write-ups of your research work or just brief abstracts. Are you planning on giving them hard copies of anything, my supervisor doesnt want me to give them any hard copies for proprietary reasons i guess.

I don't want to be carrying around a bunch of research crap all day...so, I am thinking I might just take my paper that I wrote for a senior research thesis...or maybe I will just take the abstract. I am def not going to give them a hard copy of it. That would be a waste of space in my file if they put it in there. Maybe a copy of my abstract...

well, if your research has already been published, then the proprietary reason no longer holds. but if it hasn't been published, then of course don't bring it! that's confidential stuff and you could really shoot yourself in the foot if you started handing it out. but if you have hard copies of published articles (like reprints) then i was advised by my boss to bring a couple of copies of those, in case someone on the adcom wants to look at it. can't hurt!

Hey Jdub,

Law school applicants do NOT interview for admission -- were you thinking of business school?? Just wondering where the phrase comes from. Take care,

Becky

Some Law schools do interview their applicants. For example, at UF, the to 1/4 of the class is chosen based solely on their numbers (LSAT + GPA), and the rest comes from interviewed applicants.
-Ace

I'm going to be wearing the blue blazer and some khaki colored dress pants with a conservative tie.

Chunk-ee...not sure how the khaki pants will go over...probably be okay...but I don't know for sure..

I think that you should go in the same kind of attire in which you would be doing your clinical rotations (minus white coat of course) - that way they can get a better idea of how you will present to patients.

But then again - what the heck would I know?
Wear a suit if you have one to be on the safe side.

Originally posted by tidy_kiwi:
•I think that you should go in the same kind of attire in which you would be doing your clinical rotations (minus white coat of course) - that way they can get a better idea of how you will present to patients.•
You mean, like, wearing scrubs? :D

I don't think what you suggest is necessarily accurate. Suits are pretty standard. The interview is one of the most important days of your life so far--you owe it to yourself to look your best and try to make a case for your candidacy. Med schools likely expect male candidates to show up in suits, and probably do not attempt to ascertain how you will dress for rotations at this point.

Just purchase or borrow a suit, and play the game, even if you're uncomfortable in a suit. Just keep telling yourslef it'll all be over soon. ;)

Definitely wear a suit. It won't go to waste after the inteviews. Weddings, funerals, fundraisers, the opera.....Every professional man needs a suit (even in Alaska!).

Members don't see this ad :)
who are you guys with leather briefcases and what not? i'm not bringing anything but myself...and maybe some clothes. good grief.

I need to buy a suit! I will go shopping once I get my first invitation! Pray! woooo What color would be best? Versace okay? Purple? Hmmm

Okay, guys, help me out here. What about a woman? I'm really not much of a skirt person, unless it's long. Are pants too "masculine" or is that what they're looking for - someone who can "handle" things? (I'm not saying I believe this, but some people do.) Thanks!

Originally posted by ATC2MD:
•...What about a woman? I'm really not much of a skirt person, unless it's long. ...•

I just bought a nice navy pantsuit at Casual Corner for $160. My old boss used to do interviews at a major medical school for 15 years, and he assured me that it will be fine. I think a lot of women are wearing pants to interviews.

I'm just not comfortable in a short skirt (I'd be pulling it down and re-crossing my legs all day!) - not that I'd wear a mini-skirt but anything over my knee is short to me. Besides, this way I don't have to wear pantyhose.

UAB came to our school to do "mock" interviews last year. I asked The head lady about women in pantsuits and she shrugged and said there's no problem at all. No one pays attention as long as you look professional. I am sure that some other schools may be more conservative though. I, however, will be wearing pants. (Hate that skirt mess)

Pants for me too. I have a navy suit that has gotten me through 7 job interviews through the last few years. I've had 6 job offers, and one more expected soon with that suit. I hope my medical school track record is as good! (I doubt it, though :) )

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo:
•I don't want to be carrying around a bunch of research crap all day...so, I am thinking I might just take my paper that I wrote for a senior research thesis...or maybe I will just take the abstract. I am def not going to give them a hard copy of it. That would be a waste of space in my file if they put it in there. Maybe a copy of my abstract...•

whew, back after a long hiatus due to some account problems!

What other academic things should we bring besides research information? I never thought I had to BRING anything besides myself!

Hey, punkin, I'd wear that suit every day!

I definitely agree about the pantyhose. I bought a navy skirt-suit out of grad school to look for jobs, but it just wasn't me (or maybe it was and isn't now). So, pants suit it is :) Thanks for all of the great feedback!!!

Now, if I could only get an interview... :D

Do interviewers actually ask for the contents in your folder during or after the interview, or are you all planning to offer a copy of your resume, research papers etc... I am planning on bringing copies of these documents, but I am unsure if they are to be brought in case they are asked for, or if they should be voluntarily given to the interviewers to further sell yourself. Any suggestions would be helpful. :cool:

wow, so you guys think a suit is the way to go, eh? <sigh> and I bought this blue blazer/slacks set just for these med school interviews. Fortunately I've got two other suits to fall back on- do you think a black one is better or a olive green colored suit? (it sounds kinda weird, olive green, but it looks nice :) ).

Med Puck - If you have any published articles/abstracts, it wouldnt hurt to take them with you (if they are of a reasonable size - if you have 200 articles or if one is 200 pages long, dont bring it). No one at my interviews asked to see my abstract, OR the contents of my folder - pretty much I just took a notepad with me so I could write down questions that I had (You WILL forget them) or taken information that was important (interviewer's name, email, etc). If your research comes up in your interview, you could OFFER your abstract/paper/whatever, but honestly, I doubt it'll even come up (unless you're an MD/PhD candidate)

Star

Thanks Starflyr, I do have some pubs, and I will offer them to my interviewers if my research comes up. Your advice is well taken, and I will be sure to keep my 250 page first authored publications out of my folder that day :D

I'm also trying to decide between a black suit and an olive-green one. i know black is pretty traditional, but i heard that as long as the suit is dark, it's fine. and, as chunk-ee said, the olive-green looks pretty sharp. but i've never heard of anyone wearing that color so i'm a litle apprehensive about it. what do you all think?

GIRLS: I need some advice on interview clothing. Do I need a traditional suit? I have a lovely gray blazer that looks very nice and professional with a knee-length black skirt. Would this be ok, or do you think I need the suit with the matching blazer and skirt? And will I look like I'm attending a funeral in gray and black?

Another question: about accessories. I have 3 earrings per ear. I'm considering taking 2 out of each and just wearing conservative small silver hoops in my first holes. What do you think? I know this may sound trivial, but I'm from the deep south and I don't want to be judged in a negative way by some conservative interviewer!

thanks!

i was wondering how long the skirt should be...i found this really nice suit that i was going to buy, but the skirt touched the top of my knees, and i thought that might be a tad too short.

the suit looks sharp and very decent, but i want to lean on the side of conservative for these things.

so what do you think? is a skirt that barely hits your knee too short? i was wanting a calf-length skirt, but couldnt find one i liked...how long are everyone's else's skirts usually? should i go ahead and get the suit?

Okay, as a current MS-1 who just interviewed last year, here are a few of my answers to some of the recurring questions:

For girls:
1) If you want to be 100% conservative and on the safe side, go with a dark or neutral colored skirt suit (yes, that does mean matching jacket and skirt), with a skirt that is just above knee length, give or take an inch. That is a pretty standard business skirt length, so it wouldn't be considered too short (to whoever asked that question). This all being said brings me to point #2...

2) Pants suits are fine as are long skirts. In fact, in my opinion, they are great! They're comfortable, they still look professional, etc. Again, I would stick with a dark or neutral (ie, tan or wheat) color on this. The big no-no on varying the standard business suit look would obviously be a skirt that is too short -- no matter how much you like the Ally McBeal look, just say no for the interview.

3) Non-matching jacket and skirt/pants, business casual separates, etc. can be fine. As always, the key is to look professional, and you should be dressed a little nicer than just "business casual" even if that's how your interviewers are dressed. In general, I think it is "safer" to go with matching pieces, and is probably a good investment anyways -- you can always use these suits again for residency interviews, etc.

4) If you are wearing a skirt, pantyhose is a must. Go with whatever color looks best with your outfit -- brown, black, nude, opaque, whatever, no one will really care as long as they aren't fishnet stockings or have seems up the back. It probably goes without saying, but I would avoid anything that is a non-neutral color, ie, red, purple, etc.

5) Jewelry -- minimize, minimize, minimize. Take out the extra earrings, the earcuffs, the eyebrow rings, etc. Maybe it's part of who you are, but some patients will probably be turned off of multiple earrings in unusual, visible places, and same goes for your interviewers.

6) Don't wear perfume -- a lot of people have allergies, or react strongly to perfumes and you don't want to have your interviewer concentrate on that rather than your interview.

For guys and girls -- what to bring to the interview:

You can probably get by with just a folder, or a nice portfolio to hold a pen and some paper if you want to jot notes to yourself during the presentations, write down your interviewer's name, whatever. Some people brought backpacks, which is fine. I had one of those black canvas shoulder strap bags -- I found it to be a little more professional looking than a backpack, but held all the stuff I thought I needed. Some girls just bring their purses, and that's fine too.

As for research materials, I have three publications, but chose not to bring any of the materials with me. Most schools were pretty explicit during the secondary stage about NOT submitting any extra materials, so I sort of assumed the same was true with interviews. (Please note, I am only speaking from my experience with MD interviews, not MD/PhD). My research did come up in a couple of interviews, but I was never asked for copies of the papers, and I honestly don't think my interviewers would have wanted to see copies if I had them. Again, that's just my experience.

I spoke tot he dean of admissions at my school and they said, bringing abstractrs and papers are kind of pointles...

he said in one occassion, we asked a student to tell about his research, and he gave copies of his abstracts and his papers....he said, we WANT to hear it from you...not to read it ourselves....

besides, in this new AMCAS edition we have all listed contacts, so they can verify for themselves if they very wish so.....

that is my 2 cents and I could be wrong...but I got that from the horse's mouth... :D

here's an interesting twist on attire:

i have had a shaved head for the past 5 years. there is no reason for the shaved head other than the fact that i like it better that way. i shave it with a razor such that it is down to the skin, but you can still tell that i would have a full head of hair if i let it grow.

now last year i applied for medical school. i applied to about 20 schools, got 4 really late interviews, and the furthest i made it was onto waiting lists.

since my head has been shaved for so long, everybody around me has become accustomed to my appearance. when i questioned them, they all seemed to think it absurd that a med school would hold my appearance against me. obviously the interviewers saw me, but so did all the schools that required a picture with the secondary.

now i'd hate to think that my bald head had anything to do with me not getting in anywhere. i'd much prefer to think that it was the fact that i held on to my secondaries for so long before turning them back in.

any thought about the impression given off by a white guy with a shaved head? (my hair is growing in right now as i write this, in hopes that the first interview invitation will be arriving shortly)

Thanks for the great advice, Lilycat! It is very much appreciated. :)

Lilycat..Thanks, that was great advice. Just one more question for you and the other ladies on this site. I know this is really picky..but what do you think about hair styles - up or down? I have long hair about to my shoulder blades. I like wearing my hair down and often due at my job where I wears suits everyday, but am not sure how medical school interviewers will view it. What have you seen at interviews or know from your experience?

I have the same question about the long hair. I was thinking about putting it in a loose clip so it won't be in my face. :)

I also have long hair, at least 2-3 inches past my shoulder blades. I wore my hair down because I felt it looked better that way, and I was more comfortable with it like that, and I don't think it was detrimental in the least. I would say it's a pretty even 50-50 split between girls wearing their hair up or down; if anything it might even be closer to 60-40, the majority wearing their hair down.

As long as you still look professional, ie, your hair isn't an unnatural color, it's not in your face constantly, and you aren't playing with it throughout your interview, it should be fine to wear it down.

hey ssd,

i personally am one that does not like to comform a whole lot, but it seems that the more conservative one is the better.

to be on the safe side, i would grow your hair enough to have that military look. i cut my long hair for interviews last year and have been keeping it short for interviews this year.

if you don't mind having a little hair, i would just go with it until you have gotten through your interviews, also, did you talk to the schools that you interviewed with last year? they are normally very open to giving advice to people who don't get in. you could ask them point blank, is having a shaved head detramental to the app process.

best of luck to ya.

Hmm I wonder if committees discreetly discriminate against height. I'm a 6'1 female and wearing 2" pumps that go with a skirt suit (flats just don't look right with a skirt on me), I'm about 6'3. I've been to job interviews and had interviewers just initially kind of gawk at my height. Then of course the usal, "do you play ball?" Talk about annoying... Anyway, this was just some mid-afternoon-tired-at-work rambling :)

PS I nearly ran out to buy a leather briefcase for interviews - until I saw the price tag. I just settled for one of those shoulder-strap black bags.

E'01 - I think that you can make your height work for you. It is something that makes you stand out and not blend in with the rest of us under 5-5ers. Also I think that there are many things that people see that are postive about taller people, including percieved strength both physical and mental. I also remember reading some psych study where taller people were perceived to be better leaders than shorter people displaying the same leadership skills. You can't do anything about it, so make it work to your advantage!

Sorry if this question has been asked before but...Last year several of my female friends had multiple interviews and acceptances at some top medical schools. They both wore dresses or long skirts w/blouses/sweaters to their interviews. My question is do you have to wear a suit (if you're a girl)? My friends did fine without it, and this site is the only place where I've heard that.

Sorry if this question has been asked before but...Last year several of my female friends had multiple interviews and acceptances at some top medical schools. They both wore dresses or long skirts w/blouses/sweaters to their interviews. My question is do you have to wear a suit (if you're a girl)? My friends did fine without it, and this site is the only place where I've heard that.

To follow in Lilicat's footsteps...

Im also an MS1 who just interviewed last year. All of these were at Tx schools, but I assume its pretty similar everywhere.

Dress etc guidelines:

1. Look professional. That can be a skirt- or pantsuit, slacks with a collared shirt and vest, etc. Wear something that reflects who you are - I kid you not, both at TCOM and here (UTMB), interviewees are known as "the funeral party". Professional is good. Looking like you're in mourning is NOT necessary.

2. Be comfortable - ESPECIALLY with your shoes. Pumps/polished boots/whatever look great, but do you *really* want to limp into your interview or slip on some wet tile? Wear shoes that look good but are also comfy - I wore black suede clogs with rubber soles (kinda like sneaker soles) after my 1st fiasco with my "professional" boots.

3. Wear minimal makeup. Look sophisticated but not "painted" - neutrals and browns work well. Bring your lipstick and powder so you can freshen up. If you have longish nails, make sure they look nice and arent painted neon green with stickers/rhinestones/piercings.

4. As for hair, wear it however it is most comfortable for you. If you interview in Tx in August/September, and you have long, thick dark hair, you dont want to wear it down - you'll roast and it'll get all sweaty and icky. Personally, I wore my hair in a ponytail.

5. Jewelry. wear a pair of earrings if you like, keep em small. If you have multiple holes, small hoops in one set and studs in another could be ok. If you generally wear a necklace, wear one, but dont run out to buy one just for interviews. Keep rings tasteful, same with bracelets (no bangles!).

What to bring:

1. Something to write with
2. Somethign to write on.
3. Something that wont hurt your back to carry all day and looks professional.
4. Mints
5. A watch

Um...i think thats about it?

good luck y'all
Star