Men's virtual interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viralhiker

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide if I need to run out to Men's Wearhouse this week to purchase a suit or not. Would it be acceptable to wear a blazer with a dress shirt/tie in a virtual interview, or should I stick with tradition and go get fitted for a full suit?

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to decide if I need to run out to Men's Wearhouse this week to purchase a suit or not. Would it be acceptable to wear a blazer with a dress shirt/tie in a virtual interview, or should I stick with tradition and go get fitted for a full suit?
If you don't own a suit, I think you dodged a bullet for the time being, even though it would definitely be better to have one, because the jackets are generally nicer. The rule of thumb is you should dress the same as for an in-person interview, but, of course, if you position the camera correctly, you could get away with no pants at all, so you don't "need need" a suit if you don't already own one and have a blazer that is nice enough to pass for a suit jacket.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a very hideous black-ish blazer made out of a weird-looking, almost corduroy material with thin green accents running down the jacket longitudinally. It is a menace. I wore it to a virtual interview recently and it simply looked like a black jacket, presumably as a suit piece. Interview went fine, I looked fine, and I was accepted to the program. I agree with KnightDoc that virtual interviews have given us some liberties when it comes to the capriciousness of professionalism. If it looks normal on camera, you should be fine.

That said, as you are transitioning to a more professional chapter in your life, it is inevitable that you are going to need a proper suit at one point or another, so it wouldn't hurt to just buy one sooner rather than later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe video call someone while you're shopping and they can give you feedback on how it looks for them on the other side.

But please plan to wear pants in case you have to jump up or something.

• Haha
Maybe video call someone while you're shopping and they can give you feedback on how it looks for them on the other side.

But please plan to wear pants in case you have to jump up or something.

That would be something if the last question is "please stand up"

• Haha
That would be something if the last question is "please stand up"
A friend of mine works in higher ed and while he was interviewing for jobs, the director asked him to stand up for a “group exercise” right when they started the interview.

Wear pants.