Assimilate or be true to myself? Question about headshot for secondary applications and interview attire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yepanotherpmed

Reaction score
From what I have read on SDN, as long as I wear something professional-looking and my picture has decent quality, that is all that really matters. I have read that the headshots are mainly used to identify the applicant on interview day.

However, I have a cultural question... I am Native American woman, and I wear my hair in two long braids for cultural and spiritual reasons. For my headshot, will that look "unprofessional?" Furthermore, the women in my tribe, myself included, wear beaded jewelry. As someone who is constantly feeling pressure to hide my cultural expression, I am trying to be more open about my identity.

Is wearing my hair in braids and earrings like these in my headshot or future interviews going to work against me? Or given that I identify as Native in my application, do you think the adcom and interviewers will understand?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I wore heavy turquoise native jewelry for my digital photo and business clothes. I've never received disparaging comments on my headshots. Wear your cultural jewelry

Braided hair is professional

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How would you plan to dress for your first day on hospital rounds? Choose a blazer or suit jacket in place of the whilte coat you'd be required to wear on rounds and you are all set.

Reactions: 4 users
How would you plan to dress for your first day on hospital rounds? Choose a blazer or suit jacket in place of the whilte coat you'd be required to wear on rounds and you are all set.
If I didn't realize this and submitted a photo of me wearing normal attire will that be a deal breaker for some schools? You can only see a little bit of my shirt from the photos

So scrubs and a suit jacket. Thanks!

From what I have read on SDN, as long as I wear something professional-looking and my picture has decent quality, that is all that really matters. I have read that the headshots are mainly used to identify the applicant on interview day.

However, I have a cultural question... I am Native American woman, and I wear my hair in two long braids for cultural and spiritual reasons. For my headshot, will that look "unprofessional?" Furthermore, the women in my tribe, myself included, wear beaded jewelry. As someone who is constantly feeling pressure to hide my cultural expression, I am trying to be more open about my identity.

Is wearing my hair in braids and earrings like these in my headshot or future interviews going to work against me? Or given that I identify as Native in my application, do you think the adcom and interviewers will understand?

Thanks in advance.
Sounds fine!

If I didn't realize this and submitted a photo of me wearing normal attire will that be a deal breaker for some schools? You can only see a little bit of my shirt from the photos
Not sure what "normal attire" is but it shouldn't be a deal breaker if it is modest (not strapless) or insulitng ("I'm with stupid" tee shirt). Given that you were asking, I thought you hadn't sent in a photo yet and I was giving a suggestion on what to wear.

And @drducky. , scrubs would not be appropriate under a white coat at my school when rounding in medicine. Maybe I should have been more specific.

Not sure what "normal attire" is but it shouldn't be a deal breaker if it is modest (not strapless) or insulitng ("I'm with stupid" tee shirt). Given that you were asking, I thought you hadn't sent in a photo yet and I was giving a suggestion on what to wear.

And @drducky. , scrubs would not be appropriate under a white coat at my school when rounding in medicine. Maybe I should have been more specific.
You were right. I showed up at an interview today wearing scrubs and they told me to go home. Do i still have a shot at this school?

Either you work somewhere like Mayo or you haven't rounded on a medicine service lately - from my own and peers experience, most medicine wards are all about scrubs these days lol

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users

Thanks in advance.
I don't see the problem with braids. Maybe you could compromise and wear braids w/out beads.

both the hair and the jewelry should be fine; as long as it's not beaded to say "Adcoms sux" or something

if you were concerned about the braids, you could tuck them behind you or cross/pin them up. I kinda doubt anyone will Notice-with-a-capital-N that it's a thing vs something like double french braids. it might be something you think about more in lab or on the unit though so your braids aren't falling into.... stuff...

Either you work somewhere like Mayo or you haven't rounded on a medicine service lately - from my own and peers experience, most medicine wards are all about scrubs these days lol

Agreed. Every service Ive rotated on has worn scrubs on rounds except on fancy days.

To the OP, be yourself. You’ll be fine.