Interview Body Language Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShenanigansMD

Gryffindor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN, so I recently purchased this book out of curiosity,

51xLSIb45%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Snap-Making-I...arisma/dp/1577319397/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

and after reading it my mind = blown. I know we typically prepare for interviews by practicing specific questions, but we hardly practice our body language and how we use our facial expressions to make first impressions.

Now I know naysayers will come in here and say "duh shenanigans" or Captain Hindsight will say "obviously bro" to this post, but I don't think enough interviewees realize the importance of this during the interview, especially as inexperienced pre-meds who spend a lot of time holed up in the library.

So I just wanted to refer a book to those who are still feeling nervous during interviews, and to those who wish to work on their "interview game" so to speak.

Members don't see this ad.

They say that you should practice in front of a mirror and do a videotaped mock interview so you can watch yourself dispassionately from a third party perspective.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for this!

i saw a presentation by an adcom at a med school last fall where she said that an interviewee had recently been at her school and had been rejected post-interview because they were slipping their shoes on and off throughout the interview and this showed a lack of composure and maturity. -- this freaked me out bc I am the most nervous-y-fidgety person on the planet and have literally had to start consciously thinking not to move too much during interviews. don't really need this book now but good point OP

i saw a presentation by an adcom at a med school last fall where she said that an interviewee had recently been at her school and had been rejected post-interview because they were slipping their shoes on and off throughout the interview and this showed a lack of composure and maturity. -- this freaked me out bc I am the most nervous-y-fidgety person on the planet and have literally had to start consciously thinking not to move too much during interviews. don't really need this book now but good point OP

At really boring meetings at work (and there's lots of them) I'll play a mental game trying to see who changes his/her position in the chair more than me. Usually it's no one. I have a hard time sitting still. Always. At least I don't touch my hair a lot or tap things :oops:

I don't think they would slam you for being a little bit restless or fidgety but I mean, if you're slipping your shoes on and off then that's a bit too odd for comfort. :laugh:

They say that you should practice in front of a mirror and do a videotaped mock interview so you can watch yourself dispassionately from a third party perspective.

O03QAZ

OLhmrA

lolwut

As a shrink, I pay alot of attn to body language. What looks good on paper does not always translate in person.