Interview chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamtravis

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After you get an interview, what percent of those students are accepted? Are there any links for individual schools?? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Getting the interview is the first hurdle. After that your chances improve a great deal. And the more interviews...the better your chances. At alot of the Texas schools they interview 1000-1250 people for ~200 seats. So your opportunity can be anywhere from 20% or less. But hey....remember that the more interviews you get the better your shot.

If you go to individual school web pages you can get that information. Some schools tend to accept a higher percentage of interviewees...

Members don't see this ad :)
you can also get the info out of the MSAR. There is really a range. Could be anywhere from about a 10% to 25% chance.

iamtravis, didn't you post this under a different title and receive a response from pianogirl04? her link was very helpful.

You can get this info from an online subscription to USNEWS for $9.95.

You're chances of being accepted after interview depend on the schools policy of admissions. If rolling admissions are used, the earlier your interview, the better you're chances of acceptance. However, there is one important point that I haven't noticed in this forum. If you look only at the stats (ex. 150 acceptances out of 450 interviews, for example), you get a falsely low impression of the acceptance rate. Actually, you're chances of being accepted are very high. This is due to the fact that many who are accepted early on will deny their acceptance if they've received the good news from more than one school. There are others who will have to decline for other reasons as well. In one of my interviews, at least 6 out of the 8 got in (I don't know about the other two, maybe they did, maybe they didn't). Only 3 that I know of however, kept their acceptance. My other interview was similar. I interviewed early however (1st week of interviews), and I feel this was highly contributory.

If its a state schl then it depends on if ur in state or out of state.

Originally posted by futuredrswife
iamtravis, didn't you post this under a different title and receive a response from pianogirl04? her link was very helpful.

you are right. i thought there was some error and my first post was lost, turns out i just can't read very well. i did see pianogirl's post when i found my first thread and it was what i was looking for. Thanks.

Most of the schools I've been to seem to have a 1 in 3 chance of accepting you post interview. They interview about 600 to 1000 and accept 200 to 300 for a class of 100 to 150.

Some state schools, U-Vermont comes to mind, accepts about 50% of those they interview, knowing that only about half of those they accept will actually show up.

All stats for all schools are here