Interview Cologne

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jon Davis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the colognes that you recommend for an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

In unrelated news, Jessica and Nick have agreed to a split.
http://www.usmagazine.com
It was a countdown from the start, how long could he stand her ****** antics.
Guess we found out that answer!

Let me just take a moment to express my profound dislike for Axe cologne. I think it's the most godawful scent that a guy can wear. Other than that I think it probably doesn't matter, as long as it's not too overpowering.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd recommend not wearing any. Reasons?

1. Someone may have an allergy.
2. Someone may hate the smell.
3. Someone may associate the smell with their ex.
4. Too easy to accidentally put on too much and overpower everything.

Just use some good deodorant, and shower before the interview!

dajimmers said:

S-h-o-w-e-r? Never heard of it. :laugh:

BTW, congrats on your application progress! :thumbup:

jessica's back on the market? i guess i'll have to give her a rang

lacoste and armani mania. both very mild and last a long time. and really spark up some heat. holler.
-mota

Chrome Azzaro's always been good for me. I tried Curve originally, but thought it was a little too strong so I changed.

Don't think the interviewers will notice it anyway. Wear whatever makes you feel good.

I did the curve thing for a while...i felt it was a little too strong as well. Surprisingly, I got some nice cologne from a family friend when i graduated almost a year ago. It was Pi by Givenchy. Not too overpowering and it had a nice faint, musky/woodsy smell.

A guide to others....don't smell like your grandparents and never use too much.

As for Jessica Simpson....she is a cutie, her working out for the Dukes of Hazzard movie only made me like her more.

I use a minimum of 10 spritzes ... gives new meaning to "knock em dead"

acqua di gio or issey miyake,
weird names but trust me, these are hot! thats what the girls tell me =p

and im not really into jessica, but ashlee: *swoons* :love:

BaylorGuy said:
I did the curve thing for a while...i felt it was a little too strong as well.

I LOOOOOOOVE men who wear Curve. Definitely one of those "hot guy" scents. I loved it so much that I bought Curve for women, which is now one of my favorites. Best colognes (IMNSHO) are Curve, Nautica, and Wings.

But this is an interview, not a pick-up joint. Or maybe you're hoping it'll be both?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll have to go check out the Curve. I had Pi, its alright. Axe is downright nasty. Anyone like the Swiss Army cologne?

jtank said:
acqua di gio or issey miyake,
weird names but trust me, these are hot! thats what the girls tell me =p

and im not really into jessica, but ashlee: *swoons* :love:

Yes, those are good colognes but they're "soo yesterday." As someone who takes pride in his fashion sense and stock of colognes, I'd highly recommend Burburry Brit. It is a GREAT cologne. Perfect for everyday wear (winter or summer) and definitely not too over-powering.

Here's some rules to follow with colognes:

1) When buying colognes, don't just spray it on the little filter paper and assume it smells good. Spray it on yourself, wait a few minutes, and see how it smells on you before dishing out the money.

2) Every guy should have at least 2 colognes per season. One for everyday wear and one for evening events.

3) You should change your colognes every 6 months-1year. You and everyone around you gets desensitized to the smell and it eventually loses it's stimulatory effect.

4) Please, please, please don't buy cheap colognes from CVS. If you're short on money, wait until a good cologne hits stores like Marshalls, Ross, etc and then buy it at a discount.

5) Use your cologne on interviews but go light. If you normally use 3-4 sprays, tone it down to 1 (maybe 2 if it's a light smell) for interviews.

Ok, I'm tired of making rules. Enjoy and g'luck on interviews.

swiss army is a great cologne (i have fairly extensive collection and all the women like that one the best), but i think that dolce y gabana is a better scent, but i have not really been wearing any for my interviews, i dont think it really matters, as long as you dont pass gas or reak of BO i am sure your smell will not be a factor with the adcoms

dajimmers said:

Amen! I wouldn't have thought of reason #3 on my own, but now that you mention it, "smells-like-my-ex guy" has been at a few of my interviews! :thumbdown:

No cologne is the safe move. No one will notice if you DON'T wear cologne; someone might take note (positively or not) if you do. If you steer clear altogether you eliminate the possibility of being "that guy."
I'm interviewing for residency right now and was told to go with the "bar soap" smell. If you HAVE to wear cologne, go with something woodsy (cedar). But, really, with soap, deoderant, and the smell of your shampoo/hair junk you'll have enough scents going on.

On the topic of wearing things to interviews, no medical insignia, please. Anywhere. Not on the tie, not on the lapel pin, nowhere. Just don't do it. Oh, and make sure your shoes are shined. Apparently this has been studied and the first thing an interviewer notices (besides perhaps the wafting cologne from outside the interview room) is a guy's bad shoes. The airport dudes are money (tip them first). Just a few thoughts. In the end none of this matters if you're a normal person and convince the interviewer that you have thought about being a MD, know what you're getting into and will be good at it. Good luck.

Jon Davis said:
curve
aqua d gio

Goose-d said:
jessica's back on the market? i guess i'll have to give her a rang
its about time the split up with that dork

um, i know most hospitals are "fragrance-free" places anyway. you really shouldn't wear any.

Jon Davis said:

Echo (from Davidoof- the cool water guy)

It works well, and gets me tons of compliments. Its light and smells refreshing.

Why do people wear cologne in the first place? Do you people not wear deodorant?

people wear deodorant so that they dont smell bad. People wear cologne so that they smell good. But, wearing too much (like yall said) makes people smell funky almost.

Light colognes are good! Aqua di gio and Echo are nice and light. A small bottle of cologne should last someone a very long time.

There is clearly only one correct answer to this question:

Sex Panther!

Oh, gosh. Yesterday I picked-up my new suit which I had altered to fit my post-MCAT 15 extra pounds as nicely as possible. I have a new shirt and a nice new tie that looks great with the suit. I shaved my beard and mustache off and I've been practicing conservative hairstyles for days. I'm going to buy new shoes this weekend. My first interview is next week and cologne had not even crossed my mind! I love SDN... it's a never-ending source of new panic attacks.

SailCrazy said:

Sex Panther!

:laugh: 1001, 1002...

please, please, please, no cologne. This is a med school interview. That goes for perfume too.

SailCrazy said:

Sex Panther!

60% of the time, it works all the time! :laugh:

...made by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries. It contains real panther bits, so you know it's good. :thumbup:

SailCrazy said:
...made by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries. It contains real panther bits, so you know it's good. :thumbup:

Damn thats a good movie.
Brick killed a guy!

angietron3000 said:
Let me just take a moment to express my profound dislike for Axe cologne. I think it's the most godawful scent that a guy can wear. Other than that I think it probably doesn't matter, as long as it's not too overpowering.
Axe body spray is AWFUL! A guy at work sprayed (a fairly minimal amount on) himself, and the entire place reeked! Our boss, who sits inside another office, came out moments later to see what the stink was about. :thumbdown:

Try "acqua di GIO" by Armani, Its wicked good.

...Like a tractor beam...

By the way, what's the difference between cologne and perfume?

isobel said:
um, i know most hospitals are "fragrance-free" places anyway. you really shouldn't wear any.

You know, that is very true!!!