interview conflict...any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonnyboy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview conflict with Vanderbilt and University of Minnesota. I am interested in both areas but don't feel like I know enough about the programs to make an informed decision. Anybody been to interviews at either place or know anything about the programs that could help me out? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to MN. I was very impressed with the faculty, residents, and facilities there. The VA and the County hospital are close by, and are probably some of the nicest around. Surgical volume is great as well. The chairman is very fun to interview with.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your comparison between Minnesota and Southwestern? I canceled my Minnesota interview to go to SW. Bad choice? I just prefer warmer weather.

I don't know anything about the Minnesota program. I have been told by a few docs that the Vanderbilt program is an up and coming program. The new chairman (Dr. Paul Sternberg) is apparently a pretty big name in the retina world. I worked with a few docs who did their fellowship training with him and they seemed to think pretty highly of the experience, although one of them didn't seem to like Dr. Sternberg much on a personal level.

thanks for all the input, it sure helps a lot.