interview conflict dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msforever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
which would you choose to interview at if there are date conflicts preventing you from going on both?

a place you're less excited about, relative to the other program that date, but would nevertheless be happy to match at and have a better perceived chance of matching at

VS.

a place you would rank many spots higher and are much more excited about, but don't think your chances of matching are as great, and in fact are probably much much lower.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how many and what types of interviews you have. If you have a lot of them, with a number of of less competitive programs, then dream big. If you only have one, it might be a good idea to play it safe.

which would you choose to interview at if there are date conflicts preventing you from going on both?

a place you're less excited about, relative to the other program that date, but would nevertheless be happy to match at and have a better perceived chance of matching at

VS.

a place you would rank many spots higher and are much more excited about, but don't think your chances of matching are as great, and in fact are probably much much lower.

i agree w peter. if you're a good/great interviewer & personable, i would go for the reach. there is a reason why they are interviewing you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you not switch the date for one of the programs and try to make it to both?

That's a good question. It's probably something a lot of people are thinking about.

I think it depends on why you would rank program B "many spots higher." I'm assuming that you have specific reasons (other than its subjective reputation) why you would be much more excited about program B. If so, I think your enthusiasm for the program would show at the interview, and they could rank you a lot higher than anticipated.