Interview dates - is it better to do it early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Is it more advantageous to pick the earlier date for an interview? Let's say August vs September vs October.. I am currently out of country so trying to have interviews together ><

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most school will have interviews september-October if u applied early and here from then rigght away.
I would pick something mid September if you want them a little clumped

Reactions: 1 user
I scheduled my top choice after I had few interview experiences under my belt, and it worked out lol. I felt very comfortable after first interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I scheduled my top choice after I had few interview experiences under my belt, and it worked out lol. I felt very comfortable after first interview.

What else would you guys recommend in strategizing your interviews?
  • You mention schedule your top choice later, but is there anything else?
  • Maybe....
  • Schedule interviews within 3 days of each other v. schedule 1 week blocks inbetween each interview.
  • Schedule interviews on schools days v. weekends
  • Any other tips???

What else would you guys recommend in strategizing your interviews?
  • You mention schedule your top choice later, but is there anything else?
  • Maybe....
  • Schedule interviews within 3 days of each other v. schedule 1 week blocks inbetween each interview.
  • Schedule interviews on schools days v. weekends
  • Any other tips???
I didnt really prepared much for the interview beside organized my thought on some generic questions such as tell me about yourself and why dentistry. For me, after the first interview, I wish I have another tomorow because I felt great lol, but my first interview experience was terrible, I didnt make any sense answering the questions.

There is one thing that doesn't make sense to me about this strategy. What if the school you schedule first ends up being your top choice only after you visit the school?

There is one thing that doesn't make sense to me about this strategy. What if the school you schedule first ends up being your top choice only after you visit the school?
I think many peoples "top choice" is due to tuition. Any in-state is first choice vs OOS.

I think many peoples "top choice" is due to tuition. Any in-state is first choice vs OOS.
Not all people have an in state school
Also I'm sure a little more goes into a school decision that just price alone

True, but it's certainly at the top 3 of the list of reasons. I was just assuming that many students will pick their first based on that (as peers I know did this)

Haha just to recap, it won't have much difference between August and September??

What about an interview date in Nov? Like Nov 20th?

From my understanding, it depends on the school. Some schools like UConn and Ohio State fill up their class really quickly while most private schools will take a while (well into March) to fill their class.

The general rule of thumb is that any pre December interview is fine, but I think for some schools, earlier truly is better

I interviewed at a school that late and got in, however I think the earlier the better.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you! I waited a day to decide on my interview date and noticed all the earlier ones were filled.. So definitely earlier the better imo!

Yes, my top choice is due to tuition, which I am paying around 10k a semester :).

Yes, my top choice is due to tuition, which I am paying around 10k a semester :).
Too bad not everyone has in state school and second of all other state schools aren't as cheap